Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good and tasty vegan cookbook:, June 30, 2012
This review is from: Let Them Eat Vegan!: 200 Deliciously Satisfying Plant-Powered Recipes for the Whole Family (Paperback)
I have several vegan cookbooks and I use them all periodically. Burton's cookbook is very nice and her recipes are very tasty. There are only two items which keep this from being a five star vegan cookbook in my opinion. First is that there is no nutritional information. Second is that many of the recipes are a little complicated, time consuming, or require many ingredients. Not all, but some. So in comparing this to the two Lindsay Nixon books, this is a little lacking (Nixon's books have nutritional information). Just a little!

It's still a great and thorough vegan recipe book. Many of the recipes are not "meat substitute recipes" but are instead dishes just made from vegan ingredients. Burton has obviously prepared and tasted and tested these dishes (unlike a few other vegan cookbooks out there that make me wonder if they actually made their dishes - looking at you BabyCakes!). Most of the ingredients are items that I have on hand. Keeping dried beans, lentils, and fresh greens handy definitely makes many of these recipes more accessible. There are a few that have ingredients that I doubt most people keep on hand, but then that's what quick shopping trips are for. I found that I have on hand the ingredients for about 1/3 of her recipes (not counting the desserts), and I feel that I keep a pretty 'normal' vegan pantry. But I don't regularly use xanthum gum, agar, and such. She is also a huge fan of various nuts and potatoes, so if you're a fan, then these will appeal to you.

There are a few pages in the center of the book with pictures, but not many. And the binding is rather cheap, so putting this book into a recipe book holder will certainly shorten its life expectancy.

And the 200 (actually 201) recipes do include many salad dressings, condiments, and quick side dishes. The break down is:
20 Breakfast recipes (non-smoothie)
5 Smoothies
5 Meal salads
30 Dressings or dips (of this: 8 salad dressings, 12 spreads, 7 dips, 3 cheeses)
12 Soups
12 Sides (4 potato, one rice, one polenta, remainder veggies)
20 Main dishes (pot pies, casseroles, tofus, tempehs, etc...)
11 Burgers / Other (6 burgers, pecan balls, fish cakes, falafel, croquettes, portobellos)
10 Pastas
29 Cookies (includes several bars, brownies, and truffles)
37 Desserts (12 are actually frosting, glaze, or sauce; 7 cakes, 3 pie crusts, 11 pies/tortes, 3 pudding/yogurt)
10 Ice creams

So you actually have over 1/3 of the book dedicated to desserts. Plus 30 dressings/dips, most are just condiments and are not hearty dishes with the exception of the 7 dips (such as hummus).

I would say that this is in the second tier of vegan recipe books and makes a wonderful addition to the vegan cookbook list. I just find that I reach for the Lindsay Nixon books more often because I find that her recipes are quicker and I almost always have the ingredients on hand for her recipes. I do recommend the following vegan recipe books as well:

Everyday Happy Herbivore: Over 175 Quick-and-Easy Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
The Happy Herbivore Cookbook: Over 175 Delicious Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
Viva Vegan!: 200 Authentic and Fabulous Recipes for Latin Food Lovers
Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 13, 2012 6:44:25 PM PDT
Katie76 says:
Great thorough review! My biggest pet peeve is finding a great recipe to only find I don't have all the ingredients ie. xanthum gum which btw is expensive! I do have Lindsey Nixon's books as well but find the recipes rather dull, except for her muffins. Veganomicon is a great cookbook but I also consider that one a complicated cookbook. I find what I do most is when I am craving something I google search vegan such n such and go from there. It's has worked thus far. I very rarely use any cookbooks. I really like and respect Dreena Burton, her choco chip cookies are to die for. I figure I will try some more of her online recipes before I purchase this book. Thank you for honest feed back!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 11:34:03 AM PDT
I actually bought Clean Start the other day and I was blown away. The recipes are fewer than other books (about 100), but they're all solid. I liked it better than the much larger Clean Food book.
Clean Start: Inspiring You to Eat Clean and Live Well with 100 New Clean Food Recipes
Clean Food, Revised Edition: A Seasonal Guide to Eating Close to the Source

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 11:32:14 PM PST
NutriMom says:
Excellent review! Thank you for including so much useful information that truly helps one evaluate how much or how little a cookbook would suit personal taste & needs.

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 1:00:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2014 1:26:27 PM PDT
Shantimar says:
Excellent, well-balanced review. And worded in a way that didn't have her bashing you on her blog, as happened to another hapless reviewer who essentially again lamented the exotic stuff needed (his review here http://www.amazon.com/review/R5VIXZOMBJUTB/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1551522241#wasThisHelpful and her post https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=19150019&postID=8770253864520989353&page=1&token=1396812869658) .

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2014 1:22:23 PM PDT
Thank you all for the feedback! =)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›