5.0 out of 5 stars An antidote to "textual abuse", March 23, 2006
This review is from: Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality: Explode the Myths, Heal the Church (Paperback)
Jack Rogers takes a fresh look at what the Bible says and doesn't say about homosexual people and relationships, in this very readable and greatly needed book. With the clarity born of a lifetime of teaching and the passion born of a lifetime of bible study, he lays out the principles of Reformed biblical interpretation and then takes on each of the famous verses most often used to demean and exclude.

As a happily married, Bible-believing church member, I am deeply saddened when people misuse the Bible to drive people away from the church. And I'm very tired of hearing the erroneous claims that the Bible "clearly condemns" anything other than mom-pop-two-kids-&-a-dog families. The clearly presented scholarship in this book could open conversations with many people who take the Bible seriously and want to know how they can accept their gay relatives or neighbors. I'll be giving a copy to my church library and to several friends.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 7, 2007 6:57:21 AM PST
I believe in the truth Jesus reveals to all men. Not just one. I personally do not have a problem with homosexuals coming in the church or having the same rights as everyone else, except Holy Matrimony. My view of nature, the way we are each made,(man and woman fit together. For obvious reasons)also, the fact that SODOMY is a sin. You can try to make it sound okay but the fact is Homosexualiy is wrong, it's a sin as anyting else such as lying, stealing, murdering. Same thing. I'm not judgeing, this is what the Bible make's clear. I wish people would stop using the Bible to get reasons to show hate towards homosexuals and treating them badly. They're human being's, absolutly no different from anyother person. Jesus never showed hate towards anyone no matter what they were or how they lived. Why do we feel it's our jobs to punish people... God says for us to go out and spread the good news. When people try to pervert that news they'll recieve the punishment. That's all I have to say.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2007 2:43:49 PM PDT
MyMichelet says:

Posted on Jul 12, 2007 11:43:27 AM PDT
R. Bartlett says:
I think this so-called "Reviewer" needs to read the Bible before commenting on it. I'm sure she's read what she thinks she's read, but she hasn't understood a word.

All the positive reviews on here most certainly are made by people who have some vested interest in people that are homosexual. Homosexuals are NOT like everyone else. Nearly every activity of their lives centers around their homosexual lifestyle. I would like to take these positive reviewers through a jail, prison, or homosexually-oriented place of any kind and let them see what really goes on in the homosexual "community". Even their politics (usually left-wing) and their religion (usually left-wing, so-called liberal Protestant sects), are dominated by their sexual orientation. I've know people who have been kicked out of the military, churches, schools, and many other organizations, not because they are homosexual, but because of their inevitable behavior, that's why they don't belong in the schools. As a retired teacher I know how children behave when they recognize a homosexual. You may not care if your children indulge in that behavior, or are converted to perversion, even without knowingly doing so, but wiser people do.

Having said all that, I have no problem with any homosexual in the church, in the military, or in many other places, and I don't believe in barring them from many place, or indulging in "witch hunts" but I do have a problem when their sexual orientation dominates their behavior, and this is why most homosexuals are dismissed from various organizations.

I suggest non-homosexuals not discriminate, but do wise up to what being a homosexual is really like--mostly the men more than the women. Grow up and wise up, you are living in fantasy land.

Posted on Jul 13, 2007 7:43:15 PM PDT
Homosexuality is a sin, just as adultery, pre-marital sex, murder, stealing and lying are. The problem with the church today is that many have little room to condemn homosexuals because they are guilty of the other sins mentioned and yet claim to be Christians. Being a Christian does not mean you are perfect and not subject to temptation. But, being a Christian means you are different than those who are not. A true Christian will resist temptation, not give in to it! Why should a gay person feel compelled to give up his wicked lifestyle when so many so-called Christians don't even try to give up their secret sins (which aren't of course!)?

Homosexuality is unnatural and we prove it whether we're pro gay or disapproving. The very fact that we see books being written to convince us otherwise proves my point. A man acting effeminately is sickeningly perverse. The Bible covers both the effeminate and aggressive homosexual very clearly saying (in pretty plain English here):
You know that wicked people will not inherit the kingdom of God, don't you? Stop deceiving yourselves! Sexually immoral people, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexuals,thieves, greedy people, drunks, slanderers, and robbers will not inherit the kingdom of God. (1 Corinthians 6:9-10 ISV)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2007 12:25:28 PM PST
S Donahue says:
I was interested in the comment by R. Bartlett. I have no problem with anyone being homosexual. In fact, I think it is genetic, and I do not believe in discriminating in any way towards gay individuals. However, I do think R., is correct that it appears that the lives of 'many' (NOT 'all') homosexuals are dominated by their sexuality. Some belong to a gay church, have only gay friends, go only to gay bars, gay restaurants, gay this, and gay that, ad nauseam, plus, seem on the constant prowl for sexual contacts. I think when a gay person turns him or herself into a flaming queen, or a big man, THEN it becomes a problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 4:06:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2008 5:52:42 AM PDT
Peter Chan says:
Hi R Bartlett,

I could only laugh from reading your counter comments. Should we get angry or offended? No way. Because we're already tired of it. We've grown into believing that the ignorant should not only be forgiven, but the ignorant should be ignored altogether lest they once again offend us. Particularly those who have no clue whatsoever about their topic of discussion yet obdurately think they do have many. I challenge you to be honest - get to know some, just some gay and lesbian friends. Get to know them personally from the inside out - before ever yielding to the temptation of passing your opinions as "facts". Good grief!

Let's face the facts my pal, most gay/lesbian people are excluded from various organisations for three reasons: (a) hatred, (b) Hatred and (c) HATRED, not even the euphemised homo"phobia", but homoHATRED. Full-stop. "God hates America", "God hates Sweden, "God hates Taiwan", "God hates this", "God hates that", "For God so hated the world, that he gave his only exterminator Osama bin Laden, that whosoever believeth in same-gender love should not only perish, but liveth in everlasting 9-11" (The Evil News according to fred phelps, Ch.3 verse 16) . . . blah, blah, blah!

If Christianity or any other religion is anything about these and heaps of other grossly biased, misinformed opinions passed as false facts then I'd consider it a cult without a second thought. I'm completely done with it. I have NO problem at all if you frankly admit that you are prejudiced against gays and lesbians. But to usurp the Scriptures into your licence for prejudice? Downright deplorable! THAT is what makes Christianity stink.

Glad you're a teacher no more. Glad also that my only child is a dog who is in no danger of being polluted from education under you even should you still teach ^_^

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2008 5:59:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 14, 2010 9:26:19 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2008 6:20:44 AM PST
Catie says:
Wow, thank you reader for your comment, and I think I will purchase this book. I get the idea from the seven other comments, hatred is alive and well in this country. I believe the hatred of homosexuals (somtimes very cleverly hidden), is fear, and didn't the angels tell the shepards, "Fear not"?...sad. As a Christian, I believe this hatred saddens Our Lord Jesus Christ.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2008 11:48:52 PM PST