61 of 62 people found the following review helpful
Small, works great, software has nice interface,
This review is from: LG GP10NB20 Portable 8X Slim DVD+/-RW External Drive (Black) (Personal Computers)
I bought this DVD burner when my father's Sony VRD-MC6 burner didn't fit my needs. I started looking for an internal DVD burner for my Dell XPS Generation 4 running Windows XP SP3. But after realizing that my sister would want to use it for making DVD backups from her laptop too, I decided to go with an external DVD that didn't need a 120V outlet. We have two LG flat screen TV's in our house, so I checked out LG's website and this one caught my eye. Did the research and decided to buy it. I have had it about a week now and have burned around a dozen DVD's without one problem.
1) The drive runs off the USB power from the computer, which I like because I wanted it portable.
2) Neither the burner nor the DVD's are hot when a DVD is done being burned.
3) Extremely quiet.
4) Small, in fact it's only about 6" x 6" x 3/4" high. The picture of this product is misleading on the size.
5) The "advanced mode" of the burning software that came with it has a nice user interface. I use this extensively. Drag and drop of files/folders and there is a bar graph at the bottom to show you how much of the DVD is used. Also has the MB used/available listed numerically. It also lets you know if you are trying to put too much on one DVD.
6) The green "in use" indicator light on the front of the unit is really easy to see.
1) The included USB cable is a little short to use with my desktop. I realize now the DVD burner was designed to be used with laptops. The USB cable is two feet long; I wish it were three feet. I suppose I could use an off-the-shelf cable...
Please note that if you get this item, check the configuration settings before burning. The "finish DVD" and the "verify after burning" features are defaulted to unchecked.
In summary, I like this little burner. It is really working well and I will be able to free up a lot of space off my computer hard drive.