5.0 out of 5 stars A new standard for A/V receivers with amazing next-generation features at an unbeatable price, September 25, 2012
This review is from: Onkyo HT-RC460 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a believer: this Onkyo receiver has made me a lifetime customer. Crammed with next-generation audio and video features, this receiver ensures technology won't pass me by quickly. Based on my experience with the brand's durability, I'm confident the Onkyo HT-RC460 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver will serve us well for years.

Upgrading from our Onkyo HT-R530 7.1 Channel Surround Sound Receiver that has delivered many years of excellent service - we've moved twice since our purchase - I was happily surprised by the quantity and variety of improvements and inputs Onkyo has added to its receivers.

Our older unit didn't have HDMI® inputs, but we configured a workaround using a Kinivo 501BN Premium 5 port High speed HDMI® switch. That worked well but we were thrilled to upgrade with a simpler approach. There are eight HDMI® inputs and two outputs to use, more than enough room for expansion. An added bonus: the area behind our entertainment center is much less cluttered.

We have three devices connected to our Onkyo HT-RC460 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver:
* LG Cinema Screen 55LM7600 55-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 240Hz LED-LCD HDTV
* Sony BDP-S580 Blu-ray Disc Player; and
* Xbox 360 Console with Kinect.

Setup was intuitive and relatively simple. One minor stumble was the color coding for the center speaker didn't match the speaker wires from our (Onkyo speakers that came with our HT-R530 receiver). I rewired the speakers a couple times to figure out the hitch. I was a bit overconfident that the similar design outweighed the need to read the manual thoroughly. Save yourself some time and read the manual first.

Next, we calibrated our speakers using the THX Optimizer available for free on our The Incredibles DVD. The family's reaction? "Wow." In fact, after hearing Michael Giacchino's score through the new Onkyo receiver, everyone wanted to sit down and watch the movie again.

We access Amazon video, Netflix, Hulu and a number of other services through our Sony Blu-ray using Charter Internet® Plus that provides speeds up to 30 Mbps. The Onkyo HT-RC460 connected to our devices and the wireless internet service but we've had to learn a sequence for turning on and turning off our three remotes (TV, Blu-ray player and Onkyo receiver). We have to turn off the Sony Blu-ray player first and turn it on last in order for the Blu-ray player and receiver to `find' each other. Once in a while, we have to shut down all three (TV, Blu-ray and receiver) and restart to reverse this hiccup. I'll post an update once I figure out how to resolve this issue.

I won't post all the technical details since that information is readily available on the Amazon product page. I don't have Apple TV or an iPod, so I can't review those inputs. There is a USB input on the front of the receiver and I was able to play a YouTube video off my LG Optimus Android. My smartphone isn't going to be a regular source of entertainment but it is handy when I've recorded a couple minutes of video to share with my family.

In summary, I was fortunate to review this product for free through the Amazon Vine program. The Onkyo HT-RC460 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver delivers the sound quality I expect and so many new features that it will likely take me a couple years to take advantage of them all.

Rating: Five stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2012 3:52:44 PM PDT
Tom McGee says:
This sounds like an awesome product.

Thanks for the helpful review.

Did you figure out the remote sequence problem yet?

Great review.

Tom

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 7:50:57 PM PDT
Jared Castle says:
Tom, thank you for your kind comment. Yes, we did resolve the sequencing. Turn on: Receiver first, TV second, Blu-Ray player third. Turn off: Reverse order.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 4:38:36 PM PST
A. Paugh says:
Why would it get 5 stars if you have to figure out a sequence to turn things on and off for it to work? In my opinion, a 5 star receiver shouldn't have that issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 7:18:35 PM PST
A. Paugh,

The sequence issue reflects my lack of technological skills more than a failure of the receiver. As I stated before, this is our second Onkyo receiver and I couldn't be happier with both experiences. We've had this new model for nearly four months now and it has worked flawlessly.

Thankfully, my sons mastered the sequencing first and taught me. I hate to admit I'm getting old but there it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:37:11 AM PST
A. Paugh says:
A hdmi receiver should work with a TV/blu-ray no matter what order you turn them on. This sounds like a bug in the firmware to me. Your son just found a workaround of the issue with the receiver.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 5:09:30 PM PST
Jared Castle says:
OK, I'll keep that in mind. I wouldn't call it a workaround as much as sequence. Our DVD player is our conduit to Amazon on Demand, Netflix, YouTube and a couple dozen more video services.

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate the information.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›