5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded My Expectations, October 28, 2012
This review is from: Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T (Tablet Only) (Personal Computers)
As an owner of tablets before the ipad and all 3 ipad variations including the "new" ipad, I have always struggled to get rid of that feeling of it either being too cumbersome for use(pre-ipads), or just a toy with few cool uses(ipads). I think with this tablet, I have finally found what I am looking for. I am so happy with it, I am actually writing the first review I have ever done for a product.

Ability to hook up common usb peripherals and use them? Check - external DVD, USB stick were a breeze to use and install programs (.iso of software CD's, etc). Flawless, and convenient.

Ability to use the programs I have already purchased for my home machine? Check - Office 2010, adobe photoshop, etc - they all worked without issue. I just can't emphasize how nice this is to finally have in a tablet. I even put world of warcraft on for the heck of it - just because I could.

Ability to expand through a Micro SD card? Check - bought a 64GB class 10 card and have Apps installed on it (yes, you can install apps to the microSD card) as well as videos, games, MP3's and pictures. Very handy, doesn't fill the O/S drive with unnecessary items.

Great Screen? Check - even coming from a retina ipad user. Bright, vivid display with good sharp resolution. The auto brightness is a tad harsh at times, but that can be adjusted in the power settings.

Great battery? Check - hours and hours of play each day for the last two days, and the remaining battery life frankly blew me away each night (60%+ available). This is through installing programs, playing games, watching videos, surfing the web (can't count the number of times my son looped that gangum style song on you tube!?!). Very impressed with battery life for a full featured machine.

Windows 8? Not as bad as I thought. I was anticipating a train wreck that would take me a long time to get used to. It is well done and feels good on the tablet. Not sure I am up for putting it on my home machine yet, but on the tablet, it really goes a long ways to make it the experience it is. Also, Samsung includes a program if you use the "SW Updater" that puts the start button functionality basically back on your desktop. Samsung did a nice job with the pen that you get with the tablet as well - that thing is handy in OneNote, it can even read my terrible handwriting. When you have to bounce to the desktop, it is also a nice feature to be able to use the pen and click, drag, right-click. Not necessary, but nice none the less.

Processor Speed? Again, not as bad as I thought. I almost didn't buy it when I saw "atom". Perhaps intel should change the name, because this processor actually performs well. It seemed sluggish for the first few hours, but after that it has really been peppy. Perhaps there were some things installing in the background, or maybe uninstalling Norton bloatware did it, but the performance of the Atom processor has exceeded my expectations.

I think the build quality of the tablet is very nice - good clean edges, great sounding speakers that point toward you, well placed inputs on the edges. As far as "feel" of the materials, I find it very similar to my wife's Galaxy S3. It is lighter than I expected for the size, but the size poses issues I mention below (non-standard - nothing fits it).

Negatives? No docking station in stock anywhere - I mean I have tried all over. No Cases and covers available for it yet. I am currently using a $12 sleeve I bought at a discount retailer (actually fits nice, made by merkury) that will have to hold me over until I find something real. The charger for it is like a laptop charger that plugs into the wall (has a mini brick). I don't see any Car adapters for it available, and would guess it will be expensive as you can't seem to use a common USB type charger for it.

Overall, those few negatives aside which time may fix, I love this thing. More than I expected. Thanks Samsung and Microsoft for finally making the tablet I have been waiting for.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 29, 2012 3:41:24 PM PDT
for the dock why not buy the docking keyboard? it essentially makes it a laptop and has 2 USB 2.0 ports and HDMI. and do you have any benchmarks?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 4:39:21 PM PDT
Jrhea says:
That is the one I am looking for. I can't find it in stock anywhere. It will come I am sure, just wanted everyone to be aware.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 11:34:09 AM PDT
C. Loftin says:
Nice review... Thanks! I still have a rather simple, staight-foward question though, the answer to which I cannot find anywhere!
I am a current user of a Toshiba Portege M400 tablet that I handwrite all my work on: email, word-processing, notes, virtually everything! The OP (W7 Ultimate) easily, smoothly and quickly converts my chicken-scratch to text (with a high degree of accuracy! It actually learned over-time to read and convert my handwriting, reducing errors and increasing speed!)
Does this Samsung/W8 combination do this?
Given it size and weight, if it does, it would be great to take to class or meetings, eliminating notebooks while carrying the internet, the cloud... the world with you!
If anyone can answer this, I will be one happy dude!

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 1:03:07 PM PDT
Eric says:
I just picked one of these up and can't figure out how to install apps to the microsd card. Can you install apps downloaded from the Microsoft Store to the microsd, or only legacy windows apps where the installer program gives you a choice of directories to install your program? I don't see such an option for apps in the Windows Store, and they all seem to download to the internal storage by default. The Settings screen (under General) also shows only the internal storage as being available for apps (shows me about 32gb free with the tablet in its factory state, so not adding in my 64gb microsd card). Any tips for installing Windows Store apps to the microsd storage?

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 9:18:44 AM PDT
JayInAtlanta says:
Great review. I too own an iPad and another brand of tablet, but I agree these Windows 8-native tablets are a cut above in terms of functionality and upgradability.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 7:32:50 PM PDT
S. Heller says:
I read in a review that the keyboard does not weigh enough and they had problems with it tipping over when docked. Do you find this to be a problem?

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 8:27:57 PM PDT
Did anyone get the s pen tip removal ring inside the package? I didn't get one but I see online unpacking videos shows ring included.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 1:49:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 1:52:54 AM PST
what is the free space after used by Windows 8 and office only ?
I read that windows 8 take a lot of space.

I wish the keyboard is thinner, such surface keyboard.
Thanks

Note: I might wait for newer model (maybe more space and new keyboard), and also waiting for the office 2013

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 6:48:39 AM PST
If you really need a car charger, just get an inverter. They're not expensive and then you just plug in the regular charger brick.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 3:59:04 PM PST
I purchased this product from Staples almost 2 weeks ago now. As a student, this is probably the best investment I have ever made. I have noticed since the release, this tablet is unavailable for purchase anywhere...what is the story behind this? Are we essentially the guinea pigs working out the kinks before the grand release? I am also searching for the docking keyboard, and I have been unsuccessful after hours of searching...any idea where/when it will be available? Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (330 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $185.53