2.0 out of 5 stars Yep...it's damned, February 13, 2003
This review is from: Queen of the Damned (Full Screen Edition) (DVD)
*sigh* Where to begin? When Interview with the Vampire (the movie) came out when I was in sixth grade, I was immediately hooked, and I devoured the original 4 Vampire Chronicle books one after the other. I fell in love with Lestat, I felt Louis' pain...it was wonderful. When I heard they were making a movie version of Queen of the Damned, I was glad, yet surprised, because The Vampire Lestat (book 2) is actually my favorite of the series, and I would have liked to have seen that as a movie. Now begins my rant.
There's plenty of things I could say about this movie doing no justice to the feel and/or deep and layered plot of the book. However, since it is a movie and not the book, I'll try not to get that specific (i.e., Marius didn't make Lestat, but that doesn't make that much of a difference...does it?) What really [ticked] me off about this is that instead of taking one book's plot and trying to fully develop and explain the story, they shoved a bunch of [junk] into ninety minutes and made it loud, shiny, and polished. And let's not forget the kung fu.
1) I loved Tom Cruise as Lestat, but...Stuart Townsend was hot. I'll admit it. He played the modern Lestat quite well, and I'm willing to say that his hair is *dark* blond. That doesn't quite make up for his brown eyes, however. :)
2) Aaliyah. Not bad; she certainly looked pretty, but what was up with that stupid Hungarian accent? And she had basically no character development, which brings me to
3) NO CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!! The only reason I recognized half of the "ancients" in the movie was by their costumes, because God forbid we should actually mention their names!!
4) Why did we have to have that stupid "romance" [stuff]? Can't we just accept Lestat as being androgynous/bisexual and not give him a little teenybopper girlfriend?
6) The soundtrack is rather well done.
So in closing, PLEASE, I implore you, do not base your like/dislike of the Vampire Chronicle BOOKS on seeing this one film. As another reviewer said, READ THEM. READ THEM NOW. They are fascinating. They are better than this movie. This movie is pretty. But it is not good.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2008 10:30:52 PM PST
I gave it one star myself
But the soundtrack.. I have no recollection. I saw this film when it came out in the theatre, and God was it bad. I do not think I booed it, but there was no applause at the end
Absolutely terrible film. I've blotted it out. Absolute rubbish. Your review is way too kind
Surprised Anne Rice didn't speak out on this absolutely wretched film. She spoke out on Tom Cruise on Lestat (who turned out to be the best thing about the (quite good) Interview film!))

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2009 7:46:41 AM PDT
Bones says:
Maybe this film is what drove Rice away from the genre lol

Posted on Sep 24, 2011 1:25:13 AM PDT
S. Fisher says:
This is the best and most accurate comment I have ever read! Everything is spot on in what was said. This is a very fair and truthful comment. I just had to say something. A+ 100 percent!!!

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 5:54:35 PM PST
Paige I. Mano Quote
"5) This wasn't even good as a plain old "vampire" movie. They used the same crap we've seen hundreds of times before. "This is how you become a vampire. This is what you do as a vampire. I love you, but you're a mortal. No, I cannot bring you into my world. Well, now that you're dying, I guess I can." And so on."

I had to chuckle when I read this part of your review you are so totally correct even twilight follows this pattern too.

All together outstanding review.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 9:00:05 PM PDT
Nevermind says:
It could have been worse..I rather liked the flash. Somethings could have benn left out ie queen of the damned..I felt the time used in developing her relationship to Lestat would have been better used in developing some of the other more interesting characters that only had very tiny parts..these things are never perfect, books seldom make very satisfying movies because you can not see inside, just read what is outside..So I was fairly happy with the movie although it could have been better..I thought Stuart makes an amazing vampire..very nice to look at, you wanted to figure him out..

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 12:56:41 AM PST
Eve says:
I just read that Ann Rice had a huge problem with it, and tried to ignore any mention of this movie. She has called it "unfortunate" :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 10:21:17 AM PST
Nevermind says:
Rice has a huge problem with all her vampire books, she has converted to christianity. Hm I wonder how she manages to still feel ok about collecting money from her old life and beliefs?

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 1:50:14 PM PDT
Your review hits the nail on the head. They should have focused on the twins instead of developing a story for Jesse and Lestat. Plus, the Queen's true motives were never touched on.

Posted on Sep 6, 2014 2:23:49 PM PDT
martin says:
Well, Aaliyah died die a horrible & unexpected death during the making of this film... I am sure it threw a wrench in how the movie was planned.. I applaud them for finishing it & bringing the last of the amazing woman's work to cinema for people to yes. That being said, this movie was not long enough to develop other characters properly.. it seems they tried to throw too much into it & didn't explain well but I loved the movie & REALLY LOVED the soundtrack.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (964 customer reviews)

$15.00