4.0 out of 5 stars My fav of the series!, November 13, 2012
This review is from: Call of Duty: Black Ops II - PlayStation 3 (Video Game)
Okay, lets face it,the only game that has a chance at outselling Halo 4 this year is Black Ops II, the newest in the Call of Duty line and already a guaranteed success. The game employs a League system, where players will be automatically matched up with people of similar skill level--I personally like this because when I first start a game, and haven't played others for a while, I find it difficult to get into the swing of things. Whether you are a legend or just plain terrible, you will be placed in one of seven classes and how well or badly you perform will decide where you move in the rankings. Of course, this could be bad or good, depending on whether or not you prefer an easy game or a real challenge. Finally, there will be a way for you to always be a spectator across numerous devices, ensuring that there is an alternative to playing. As for the gameplay and multiplayer itself, Call of Duty has already done virtually everything--so its not really too new--so the entire game is really just a variation of past successes but the story is now unique in that it is both past and future simultaneously, with branching storylines. Although, don't let that get you down because its still damn awesome.

The zombies, especially, are awesome. That is what I care about the most. The biggest change to Call of Duty: Black Ops 2's Zombie gameplay comes in the form of its campaign mode. Titled Tranzit, this tosses you and up to three of your friends into the biggest world the team at Treyarch has ever created for Zombies. Your goal in Tranzit is simple: kill all the undead that you come across and leave a trail of bodies in your wake. You and your team jump between a number of locales along the way, doing what appears to be defensive stands and clearing them out before moving on to the next place. This means that it wont have to be the same map over and over--we finally get a campaign.You'll also have plenty to look out for while you're battling in the zombie-infested wasteland, as Tranzit now includes "buildables," something Treyarch describes as elements you can put together to do things like open up new parts of the world or make weapons.

But as fun as a campaign will be, it will never be the same as the traditional survival rounds. Like the original Black Ops, you can play solo or with three opponents.
Treyarch's also has developed a new take on competitive play for Zombies called Grief. Unlike traditional competitive games both sides have to deal with a third party that wants their brains -- the Zombies. In Grief, your only goal is to have your team outlive the other, but, unlike every other Call of Duty mode you've ever played, you can't shoot other players. Instead you have to "grief" them and get the zombies to do the work for you. This is what I've been most excited for--and it is not a let down.

Finally, for those that still aren't satisfied--or just can't get enough--there is now a way to create your own using the Custom games feature. You can live out your hardcore zombie fantasy and make it so only headshots kill, turn off magic items and set your starting round. This awesome; no more playing just to get to high rounds--if you really want to test yourself, see how you do way down the line.

Now, I know, just as much as I love zombies, others love multiplayer. I'm not as big on it as I am zombies, but its still a hell of a play. Call of Duty Black Ops II's Multiplayer is set in the year 2025. It will feature a new class and customization system with Score Streaks rather than Kill Streaks, which isn't just dependent on the number of kills you get. They also have a few new score streak rewards too, and I Think my favorite has to be the Dragon fire--a remote controlled flying sentry gun. Its been featured in the black ops wallpaper that came with the preorder. It's a great example of how they take advantage of the 25 years in the future and spit out a damn cool machine.

The Create a Class system has been much improved from the original Call of Duty Series. This time, each perk, weapon, and equipment has their own amount of points. In this way, every player will create a class in their own customizable way, as long as their points don't add up over ten when going into a match. This will allow players to switch up their play style.
Treyarch is trying hard to streamline the user interface for new and experienced players, and are emphasising team-based play more than ever. I got into shooter games because I loved the multiplayer, free for all mostly, but I've learned to love the team matches.
For those who are still new to the multiplayer experience, Treyarch has revamped the Combat Training system. I was never big on this, but others may be.
Treyarch has revamped the Prestige System, there are 10 prestiges and 55 levels. One of the new implentations is that weapon unlocks including camos and attachment do not reset after prestiging, meaning once the gun is unlocked once again you have all the unlocks you had previously. I love this because I never wanted to bother re-earning my guns--I guess Im just not a hardcore enough player, but Treyarch has worked hard to motivate players like me into going that extra mile Black Ops II Multilayer is meant to be played all the way to Prestige 10. Prestiging also rewards the player by giving them an unlock token to permanantly unlock any piece of equipment, prestiging also grants you a prestige token to unlock one of the three options per prestige: Once you reach 10th Prestige level 55 you become the "Prestige Master" which then allows you to have the ability to unlock everything in Create-a-Class. Is it enough to get me to do it? I'll let you know after I've made it that far--It's just come out and I've only touched the surface of the game.

For now, I've said all that I can. So I'll conclude with this: when the first came out, I was a fan of MW2 and not too big on World at War, so I waited to buy Black Ops. But after playing BOs, I've fallen in love with it, zombies especially. So I couldn't wait to get BO2, and it does not let you down! 5/5 stars. A must buy!

EDIT: 11/15/12
Okay, I have had some issues. It freezes several times, and I have to restart my system. I think it has something to do with certain people having bugs. My PS3 friends that have the problem say it won't let them join multiplier, and if they join my party it won't let me either. Another time, they tried to join my session while I was about to start a multiplayer game and it glitched and froze. So, unfortunately it has a few kinks to fix. You may want to wait, but even if I had known about them, I can't say I would of waited. It still loads of fun. I especially like the ease of the new menus and the ability to set which menu comes up at start (multiplier, campaign, and zombies).

EDIT: 11/25/12

Most of the glitches seem to be sorted out. I don't have any problems now. Now, I see no reason not to buy the game. I haven't been this interested in multiplayer games since MW2. And the new zombie game Tranzit is great because you can move around and are able to store money and weapons for future games. Its a way to play and invest for future games, so even if its not the best game, as long as you have made a little money, its still a good game.

So, I highly suggest this game, especially now that its down to $50.

Update: 12-24-12

Okay, you know, I've had it for a month now, and the initial issues have passed. However there were some new ones that surfaced and stayed for good. Mostly, its server issues. Trying to start a game in a party that the server doesn't like will mean an endless "waiting for host" message. When a host leaves zombies, what is supposedly suppose to be able to allow the host to migrate only makes you sit there for five minutes before saying it can't. That happens of multiplier too but not as often.

Other things I have began to notice and have a growing distaste for are things like it trying to reconnect to a party that the host decided to abandoned. Once in a blue moon it works, but usually your just stuck there for five minutes with no option to cancel the attempt to reconnect.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game. It is my most played game, but it is glowingly frustrating and unnecessarily difficult at times. However, I should note, that most of these issues that i have are when I am attempting to play with select friends. I find things to be much more smoother when I just search for a game solo. The thing is, we never had these problems in BO1.

So, to finish up, it isn't unplayable, but it is at times very difficult to work with. At $45, i think its a good choice, especially if your a big fan of the series. Still, overall I'd say 3.5/5 stars, and fun, when it works, 5/5

UPDATE: 2-8-12
After a number of updates, they have patched several glitches. Of course, I have to admit, it pisses me off that they are more worried about patching glitches than actually fixing things that prevent game play because there are still other issues that do just that. Occasionally your playing zombies and all of a sudden the sound stops and in its place is this weird clicking noise like something you'd hear from Alien. It only goes away when you restart the game. You could mute it, but to your peril, because the noise is a signal that your PS3 is going to freeze eventually. Not immediately, but if your on round 34, keep playing, and hey, its round 36 and your game stat is gone.

Other than that, the game seems to play smoothly. So, there has been some improvement.

I'm also annoyed about the month you have to wait after XBOX users to get the new map pack. Its bulls***.

Either way, I'll update once I've played it.

[Add comment]