4.0 out of 5 stars Bose's signature sound works in its advantage, June 29, 2011
This review is from: Bose MIE2i 326223-0080 Mobile Headset for Select Apple Products (Black) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
When you take 100 dollar earbuds the biggest hurdle is the technology. No matter how accurate the earbud WANTS to be, its going to be hindered by the cost. Earbuds are smaller than a penny, there is amazing technology inside of them, but they are limited by the competitive pricing.

Klipsch, Sennheiser, Shure, and a host of others have competitive products in the market. I am not a "nose in the air" audiophile, I am just a lover of music. My Current line up of Audio gear I have is the Sennheiser 555 for recording music, and Bowers & Wilkins P5 for listening to music around the house. My Audio gear is powered by my MacBook Pro, iPad 2, iPhone 3GS, and iPod Classic. I have no interest in dealing with amplifiers at this stage.

I tried and really enjoyed the Klipsch Image S4i. I specifically bring these up, because they are probably the closest competitor to the Bose IE2. The Klipsch were very accurate, the way it presented the music, sounded like they were much more expensive. My problem with the Klipsch's were that, no matter how hard they tried to present the sound in its natural way, the treble hissed, and gave me headaches. It was not noticeable in every song, but it sounded like I was in a 5th grade choir class learning about the importance of the "s" sound. The technology got in the way of an otherwise great earbud. I couldn't take it. Soon after I tried the Sennheiser IE7, but because i couldn't create a good seal, they ended up sounding terrible.

Enter the Bose IE2's.

I am far from a Bose faithful, I think their product lineup range from incredible to trash. Bose's most concerning quality is their custom EQ. In which they EQ their headphones and speakers to sound a specific way. Every company does this to some extent, but Bose has been known to do this far more prominently. The catch is, I think their custom EQ works to the IE2's advantage. While the BOSE IE2 is not natural and accurate, they manage to make these baby's sound far bigger and bolder than they are. Nothing sounds bad on these, nothing sounds tinny, or muddy, it comes off sounding warm and full. The Treble doesn't sound tinny, the mids are solid, and the bass sounds like they are being produced by larger headphones. These still have that polarizing Bose sound signature, but they are done in a tasteful and welcoming way.

The design is plastic, but its good looking plastic. With the black and silver accents, along with the alternating black and white chord it gives them a stylish and professional look. The most interesting part of the design is the "stay hear" tips. The tips fit around the outside of your ear, and the earbud peeks into your ear canal. Never going in, and most importantly never falling out. This design is simply.. refreshing. I am not someone who hates the feeling of IEM'S that go deep into your ear, but hate the feeling of not creating that all to important seal. With the IE2's you never have to worry about that seal, you get the perfect fit every single time. Its bliss, it really is. I walk around the park, and they never fall off, I sleep with them in nightly and they don't come out until I pull them out.

Overall the value of these are worth the asking price. They are reasonably priced, they are stylish, and they sound pretty darn good. I am sure you could find better IEM/Earbud's for the price, but in my opinion everything sounds good on these. Meaning that, for around 100 dollars you'll get a pair of earbuds that don't sound tinny, but sound full and fun. I purchased the Bose MIE2i, which were made for the iPhone in mind. I have not tested the microphone yet, but the music controls work perfectly on all of my Apple stuff. I will give these earbuds a solid 4 out of 5 . Why not 5/5 ? Because I know that there are better earbuds out there, heck the Klipsch S4i's had some attributes that were better than these, but overall I think these are the best choice for me, for the price point, and perform well with everything I have thrown at it. hopefully this review was helpful.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 1, 2012 11:01:03 AM PDT
I was going to post a review of the Bose IE2's but John pretty much nailed my impressions with is review. I.e., good ear fit and signature Bose sound with the caveat that the Bose sound does color every song with their same type of built-in EQ. While I am not a fan of Bose coloring all of my music with their own sound, it did work out well enough with the IE2's.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012 10:10:41 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 10:11:45 AM PDT
I found his review/post fantastic and spot on. Not every review needs to be for the "layman". There are plenty of those out there. This review spoke to me and I'm going to pick up a pair now.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 12:41:53 AM PDT

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 12:42:13 AM PDT

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 6:12:08 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 6:41:02 AM PDT
John Barta says:
If people are interested in cookie cutter talking up about a product with no personality what so ever, you can go to the manufactures website. In the few reviews I have done I felt comparing similar products, and telling a personal story people who buy consumer electronics can relate to.

I must say I am not using the Bose earbuds anymore. I have moved exclusively to headphones. Bowers & Wilkins P3 for travel, Bowers & Wilkins P5 at home. When I record music I use the Audio Technica M50. Expect long pretentious reviews of all 3 of those soon! I still think the Bose MIE2i's are really solid earbuds, and they don't bother your ears like most others. Majority of consumers will love them.

What have I been up to? Thanks for asking Apollo! I currently work at a local hospital, going to school, hanging out with friends, eatings incredible amounts of Menchie's frozen yogurt and of course listening to lots of amazing music, currently on a Captain Beefheart binge. Talk about irrelevance! Oh, and if your trying to use the volume control, just plug it into an Apple device and simply press the volume button. It works :) Thanks guys!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 8:06:50 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 8:09:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2012 8:09:41 AM PDT
John Barta says:
For leaving the dinner party your spending an awful amount of time at the table! No hard feelings really. Take care. Also, buy the p5's in your wish list.. Amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 8:15:24 AM PDT