5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you David Korten, September 10, 1998
This review is from: When Corporations Rule the World (Paperback)
No book or university course has provided me such a concise description with compelling examples, measures and details of the workings and history of the global economy.
The title could have been simply "Corporations Rule the World".
First and foremost, the book provides a foundation for thinking about sustainable business, ones' role in society, day-to-day habits and our collective need to create a future for our children.
Take note, however, that the book is worth a read in a very pragmatic and personal way, as a primer for investors.
I was given the book on Aug 17 '98 and finished it by the 22nd. In recent years, I had placed all of my hard earned cash, and some inheritence from hardworking grandparents -- for convenience sake -- in the hands of fund managers dealing in "blue chip" companies in the global equity markets. Understanding something from Kortens' book, and his apt description of the world now around us...I sold all of those equities and funds on the 24'th. The markets collapsed on the 25'th. I'll go back to directing my own investments with the cash I've saved -- thanks to a timely reading of Korten's informative book.
Kortens' work is as brilliant as a Hitchcock movie -- providing space for the reader to fill in the "gaps", to "get" his global picture in a personal way. Korten avoids confronting readers with the simple statement that WE ARE corporations. We ARE government and we ARE civil society -- however healthy or sick...
Having said that, Korten's book is entertaining and frightening because he is fact-based and truthful.
Unlike other Amazon.com book reviewers, I generally accept and enjoy pondering Korten's ideas.
I volunteer and commit to spend my rare time on this planet to forward Korten's kind of agenda for people-centered development. There's no point having kids and no way to sleep at night, without wisdom and change.
I'll invest in new forms of global business opportunity, based on Korten's wisdom and call for change. I'll start by changing myself, to make my actions consistent with my words, to make my words consistent with such wisdom as Korten's and to make my business work towards a healthy tomorrow.
Thank you, David Korten.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]