1.0 out of 5 stars Is this real Brother toner?, June 30, 2012
This review is from: Brother High Yield Toner Cartridge TN450, Black (Office Product)
I ordered this high yield toner (TN-450) on Amazon back in February. It is until recently I installed this new toner (after the low-output toner that came with the printer Brother MFC-7360N was out). After printing about only 10 pages, the printer LCD screen started to prompt "Low Tone. Prepare New Toner Cartrigdge." "Toner Low" warning prompt has also been displayed at Brother Status Monitor on PC monitor since. After I did everything following the troubleshooting instructions, the "Tone Low" prompt never disappear.

Although this toner cartridge looks new, it is incredibly light in weight. My suspicion is that this is not a new or true Brother toner. It might be a recycled cartridge and they forgot to add toner powder.

I have been buying from Amazon from many years. This is the first time I am really disappointed. It's practically a fake product.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 10, 2012 12:48:34 PM PDT
The doctor says:
Did you buy this from Amazon or a third-party? Did it come in a regular Brother Box? I order these all the time from Amazon and have never had an issue and they come in Brother boxes. I do order generics and I've always received them in plain or non Brother boxes.
If it was a Brother product I'd take it up with Brother or Amazon if you ordered it there

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 5:39:02 PM PDT
Jesse says:
Thank you for your question. Yes, I ordered from Amazon, and the toner and box all appeared authentic and brand new. The only thing is that the toner is very light in weight, much lighter than the HP toners I used with my old printer in the past. Although the tone still prints fine, I am unable to get rid of the "toner low" signals. The printer is for personal use, and I only print a few pages a week. I have no idea when the toner will run out. The "toner low" prompt is annoying.
I have been a long time Amazon customer. This is in fact the first time I ever run into an issue, and the first time I ever made a comment.
Your name is entitled "the doctor". Are you associated with Amazon? If yes, please kindly advise how I should take it up with Amazon or Brother? Thanks for your time.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 4:37:55 PM PDT
Asteroid says:
Jesse,
If you go to your account and find the order with this item, you can then click on "help". I choose "call me now" and have always had excellent customer service from Amazon the few times I have had a problem with an order.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 9:40:39 AM PST
The actual Brother cartridge IS VERY LIGHT compared to an HP cartridge. This is because HP replacement cartridges include a new drum, while the Brother toner cartridge only has the toner and does not have the heavy drum.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 8:15:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 8:19:43 PM PST
Jesse says:
Hi Jim, thank you for your message and explanation. It makes good sense. However, the toner completely died after printing less than 100 pages. This was the orignal toner by Brother sold by Amazon and cost me $44.99 at time of purchase. Because of the frustrating experience, I did not want to risk to buy a same product. Instead, I ordered another cheaper compatible toner to try out. It was sold by Awesome Toner (also purchased via Amazon). It cost only $11.24. Amazingly, after about 6 weeks of use (with about 30 pages of printouts), I have not yet received that annoying "toner low" prompts. The toner has been working very well. This much cheaper compatible tone completely outperformed the orignal Brother toner in my experience as a user.
The first time I bought the Brother "orignal" toner, I made the decision on the fact that the product was #1 seller on Amazon and had lots of good reviews. I believe those good reviews by other customers were true, but I was just sent a defect or fake product. The experience of spending $45 on a toner that gave "toner low" warning almost in the very beginning and completely died after less than 100 pages of printouts is very unpleasant.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 8:29:08 AM PST
V. Praytor says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 4:05:03 PM PST
Jesse says:
The printer I purchased is Brother MFC7360N. It prints, copies, scans, and faxes. I don't use the fax either, but the machine has great price so I won't have anything to complain about the additional fax function.
Regarding the toner, I bought the "original" one based on the good reviews on Amazon, but unfortunately received a defect or fake product. The original toner advertises that it outputs 2,600 pages, but I got less than 100 pages before it completely died. I don't know what to say, but personally I will not buy this same "original" product ever again. Now, I'm ordering and using compatible toner. My experience with the much cheaper compatible has been very pleasant. And I actually just purchased a 2nd TN-450 compatible toner (as a backup).
Best of luck with your purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 5:07:05 PM PST
Asteroid says:
I can only report that I was able to use the starter cartridge that came with the printer for quite a while after the "low ink" message began flashing. I am using my first new Brother cartridge. It arrived in a white box with blue print and included a return label so that I could return the (hopefully!) empty cartridge in that same box by just dropping it in the mail.

From reading posts here, I think there is a green switch on the cartridge that you are supposed to slide back and forth along the bar it rides on. Be sure to lock it in place before you re-install the cartridge to use again. It kept me going a while, as I recall. Did you try that?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 11:36:34 AM PST
RoseWizard says:
you did leave the printer powered up when you removed and replaced the cartridge so the printer would reset and recognize the new one..right?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 5:59:30 PM PST
Jesse says:
Thank you for your message. Yes, I tried everything: powered up and down but with no luck. The generic toner I bought later, however, was without any problem regardless the methods I used.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (1,817 customer reviews)
 (1,265)