Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my Duet, hope it's reliable, May 1, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Cuisinart BFP-703CH SmartPower Duet Blender and Food Processor, Chrome (Kitchen)
I have been shopping for a new blender to replace my 1985 Osterizer, which has been leaving big chunks of ice in frozen drinks. I saw a really interesting consumer-oriented cooking show on the local PBS station one Saturday afternoon - they taste test their recipes on the public and test kitchen equipment. They had a test segment on blenders and claimed the fiftydollar Osterizer unit was the best, had the strongest motor and did a better job than even the hundredplusdollar blenders. I went out and bought one (actually, I got the Oster version of the Duet, with the blender and a food processor attachment). I quickly returned the Oster unit because 1) It could not a crush ice in frozen drinks and was actually worse than my 17 year old, worn out blender - it's pretty hard to suck a 3/4" ice rock up a straw; 2) Did not circulate thick liquids well unless stirred with a spoon through the hole in the top cover; 3) It was loud as heck; and 4) the food processor attachment was nearly useless because it was very small, only had a chopping blade and had no feeder - you unlatch the processor, empty out the one cup or so of chopped food, put more food inside, re-latch the processor lid and put back on the blender base.

After reading some of the reviews here, I was pretty much set on the similarly priced (one c-note) Kitchen Aid so I went to my local department store to look around and a bright and bubbly teenage sales clerk came up and asked me if I needed help. I almost said no (I can read the box myself) but instead decided not to exercise age discrimination and asked if she had any recommendations for blenders. Surprisingly, she said "Yes, I tested a bunch of them for a Christmas present for my dad a few months ago and the Cuisinart was definitely the best. It does the best job of crushing ice, is easy to clean up and my dad loves his!" Given that it came with a small food processor attachment for the same price as the Kitchen Aid and I had a 30 day return policy if I didn't like it, I decided to give it a shot. Here's my observations:

1) It blends great. It has as much power as you would ever need and frozen drinks come out smooth and frosty, they way they should. No more small icebergs clogging up the straws. You can dump a tray full of ice cubes into the blender, hit the "Ice Crusher" button, and it will give you a pitcher of finely crushed ice in about 30 seconds. Thick liquids still circulate well in the wide pitcher body.

2) It's quiet. I would say this blender puts out only about half the volume of noise that my old Oster unit or the newer one I returned did. Maybe there is a quieter unit on the market, but for the other reviewers complaining about the noise, I have to ask what they expect when blending ice cubes. No doubt, it makes more noise turning ice cubes into a liquid form than, say, a pot on the stove, but it is easily quiet enough to make a smoothie or margarita after midnight in an apartment without waking the neighbors.

3) The food processor works great. Sure it is smaller, at a 3-4 cup capacity, than the big 11 cup processors, but otherwise, it works exactly like its bigger brothers that made Cuisinart famous for the past several decades. I think the reviewer complaining about the processor must have had a few too many dacquiris or margaritas from his/her machine when he/she criticized this accessory. The feeding tube is a complete necessity for chopping more than a cup of food or using the grating and slicing blades (which work extremely well). So what if it sticks out a few inches? I used the processor to make hash browns for eight people for Easter brunch, and it did a great job of chopping the onions and shredding the potatoes; I did have to empty the moderately sized processor container twice while shredding the potatoes, but it only took about two minutes to turn eight medium-large potatoes into uniformly shredded hash browns.

4) It's easy to clean. The base unit just wipes clean, with no protruding buttons or difficult channels to clean out. The pitcher is also easy to rinse clean.

A big caveat: the reliability. I did not read the reviews here about the easily breakable plastic motor locking ring on the blender base until after my 30 day return period ended. So far, so good (I'm giving it a ***** rating based on my own experiences and am not going to let other reviewers' experiences change my score) but I really hope, knock-on-wood-fingers-crossed, that Cuisinart cured that defect by the time it got around to manufacturing my unit. It does have a heavy, very steady base and feels like a well made unit.

I hope I get many years of happy use out of my Duet, but will report back if I suffer the same problem that others have experienced.

EDIT 3/07:

Eventually, my Duet's blender unit failed, perhaps somewhat differently than others have reported. After about six years of frequent use, the black plastic gear ring on the bottom of the blender container that meshes with the drive unit in the base locked up on me and would not turn on the bottom of the blender, meaning the blade inside the blender to which it is attached would not turn. I contacted Cuisinart and bought a new one for around $10 or $12 shipped, took the old one off, installed the new one and in a few minutes had it running again good as new. I still really like the unit and think it is terrific. Spending a dozen dollars on a simple replacement part for an item we use so frequently is not unreasonable and I'm not lowering my score as a result of that temporary problem. In 2007 there are now a lot more higher end blenders available than there were when I bought this Cuisinart in 2001 and I'm sure some of them have even stronger motors and are slightly more quiet. However, this is still a very good unit and the hundred bucks I spent on it was money very well spent. Nowadays, I've seen this blender-food processor combo available for as low as half what I paid on sale and as low as fortybucks refurbished, so I doubt that there's anything on the market that is even close to being as good of a value.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 8, 2008 5:12:33 PM PST
E. Welch says:
Very fair and I appreciated the long-term follow-up.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2009 6:46:44 AM PDT
B. Kester says:
I have never bought a blender before and after reading this post, I am convinced that this was a great purchase. I can't wait to use mine!
...I think Cuisinart might want to hire this person as a sales rep ;)

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 10:33:23 PM PST
cecilia says:
I am wondering... is this blender/processor is still working?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2011 2:05:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2013 9:58:53 AM PDT
Hello, I just realized that when I originally wrote this review about a decade ago, I did it in an anonymous fashion and there's no way to edit it to include my current Amazon pseudonym/member name, so to clarify, I am the author of this review.

After about a full decade, it still works. I'm no longer using it that frequently, since for a lot of my blending needs I've been using a Braun hand blender that has small food chopper and large blender container attachments and they are easier to grab and clean than a full size blender when making things like salsa, sauces and marinades, and grinding fresh herbs. However, the last time I made margaritas a few months back with the Cuisinart, it worked just fine nearly a decade after I bought it.

[EDIT 10/21/13: The above comment still holds true - it's still working fine with the part I replaced in 2007. I'm still very pleased with it].

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 4:56:03 PM PDT
a bookworm says:
Would you mind sharing what Braun model you have?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2012 8:15:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2012 8:16:04 AM PDT
Hi,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you - just noticed your inquiry today. I bought the Braun about six years ago and it is a discontinued model; it is no longer on Amazon and a quick google search and eBay search did not find it, either. If I remember correctly, I bought it off a kitchen products store on eBay, as it was already discontinued back in 2006 and no longer available through normal retailers. It was the deluxe version of their hand blender that had a full accessories pack, including immersion wand/blender, whisk, small chopper (great for making a marinade of fresh garlic, olive oil, wine, salt and pepper) and large blender pitcher (which works well for a large batch of salsa or making frozen drinks, albeit, not as well as my full sized Cuisinart).

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 6:37:47 AM PST
Gardener says:
I purchased the Cuisinart duet blender/processor in August 2012. The first time I took it out of the cupboard to use it I dropped the blender bowl on my tile floor. The locking mechinism broke. I could use it holding the cover on and it worked ok while trying to find a replacement cover. The cuisinart store on the web sent me a bowl cover with the model no. BFP-703 CH. It looks almost the same, but mine had a black center and the locking mechinism was a bit different. It didn't fit. I sent a photo and explained to them the issue and they sent the exact same one. I now have two extra covers that don't fit. I purchased the duet at Kohls so I took it back to Kohls and explained the delemia. They gave me a complete new duet. Now my concern is... what do I do if I need a replacement part? Has anyone else had this problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:30:35 AM PST
I'd suggest keeping the box or at least double-checking to make sure that the actual model number and serial number that are on the box are also on the blender unit itself. I'm guessing that over the years, Cuisinart has kept the "Duet" name but made some small changes to it and maybe has changed the model number. Be sure to refer to both model number and serial number of your unit if you contact Cuisinart again (which hopefully won't be necessary).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 12:42:17 PM PST
Gardener says:
I submitted the serial number, model number and photo.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:13:26 PM PST
Well, you can't do much more than that other than walk it in to their facility in person. I hope that Cuisinart employee finds employment elsewhere in a position more suitable for his/her limited abilities, although I don't know of anyplace hiring a professional dope.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›