5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, dont let the low price fool you!, February 28, 2003
This review is from: Lodge L10SK3 Pre-Seasoned Skillet, 12-Inch (Kitchen)
Let me start by saying we have a kitchen full of 20+ pieces of Calphalon Hard Annodized Commercial cookware. I was always of the opinion that quality cookware carried a price that was justified by the performace of the cookware. So I thought if I wanted cast iron I should look at LeCreuset... wrong! Lodge blew that theory out the window! I can't express how well this simple pan works. Let it get hot and it will hold the temp like nothing else, oven to cooktop. I finally decided to get a good cast iron skillet after hearing Alton Brown (Host of Good Eats - ...- TV Food Network - ...) rave about cast iron for the last few years. He steared me to Lodge, Lodge's web site (lodgemgf.com) told me about the pre-seasoned "Logic" line. This stuff makes cast iron simple. No messing around with seasoning a new pan. Simple care instructions. And clear instructions to reseason should the need occur. At the price these pans sell, there is no excuse to not have one, (or more) in your kitchen. It will soon become your favorite pan. I bought a 5 quart Lodge Logic Dutch Oven at the same time and it is fantastic as well!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 18, 2009 7:13:19 AM PDT
I know - it's been three years since you posted your review. But I just read it now while searching for a good cast iron skillet, and I tried to follow your link to the Lodge Web site. The link is wrong. It should be lodgemfg.com (you transposed the 'f' and the 'g').

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2009 10:56:38 AM PDT
J. Cannon says:
You got it! He did transpose the link. You should find it just fine with your correction!

Posted on Sep 25, 2011 1:18:09 AM PDT
Great Cook says:

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 9:00:36 PM PST
G. Glines says:
You know what, I have Calphalon's Hard Annodized Commercial cookware as well and I also have some Lodge cast iron cookware and I find that Lodge's cookware is more nonstick than Calphalon as long as you follow the directions. And, it was also Alton Brown who pointed me in the direction of purchasing cast iron, especially for frying chicken. The stuff is awesome!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 1:30:34 AM PST
J. Anderson says:
I purchased a GIANT set of the Calphalon along with the matching large-sized pot rack and I completely agree with this reviewer! My pots are junked because of the poor craftsmanship! The pasta set rusted (NOT due to error: I keep all manuals & use their products that are made to preserve them along w/following directions carefully. I have a daughter who has anaphylaxis to eggs & gluten (luckily outgrew both) & peanuts so I made all food (and I do mean ALL--as in no premade crackers, pasta, chocolates or candies) from scratch. It is because of our dedication to this that she outgrew them. Because of this we really needed pans that could multi-function (as in going into an oven) and 15 years ago, only 2 good companies really offered what we needed. We chose Calphalon over Lodge, initially, because (as the reviewer pointed out) they were more expensive, which we read as "more capable" (especially with the term 'professional' attached to it! They crapped out within 4-5 years, tenderly tended to but used extensively (but isn't that what 'professional'-s are suppose to do with them?!?

We've replaced them with Lodge pre-seasoned cookware and the quality is outstanding, their versitality amazing, and the value is substantial for such a small price.
Most importantly: 1) Lodge-ware is NOT an investment in COST but IS an investment in QUALITY 2) the pans clean up more easily then any other pan we've used (Calphalon was HORRIBLE) 3) Lodge accessories are made well and are FANTASTIC multi-taskers!

When you consider how much we had/have to use cookware and why, the fact we use and take care of these products per the company's recommendations, and the sheer volume of cleaning up from having to make every morsel of food from scratch, I believe our experience qualifies me to say this.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 1:39:51 PM PDT
Amazing review J. Impressive, and amen to you for your dedication to your daughter's health. Glad to hear it all paid off. Cast iron is simply the best there is. period. Glad to read, and see that over 1100 people took the time out to review. that says a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 1:09:13 AM PST
Parker says:
I love cast iron, and own one of these Lodge 12" cast iron skillets myself. They cook beautifully - but for many busy individuals (and people who just might be lazy) I think Le Creuset gets the nod because you get the fundamental benefits that cast iron offers, but you don't need to bother with the whole seasoning process over and over again. Then again, a similar Le Creuset product for same Lodge product will be 8-10X more expensive. Check out Williams Sonoma, sometimes they have sales on their Le Creuset (or Sur La Table) and snag one at a really good deal. Otherwise, I love both my Lodge and my Le Creuset for the previously mentioned reasons.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (4,254 customer reviews)
 (3,289)