Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Entertainment Collectibles Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

1.0 out of 5 stars Please be careful!, May 7, 2014
This review is from: Modern Essentials 5th Edition [Old] - A Contemporary Guide to the Therapeutic Use of Essential Oils (Hardcover)
A doTerra rep sold me this book for $20 at a marketing meeting. I have three major issues with this publication.

1. The research cited in this book is very misleading. The studies included about essential oils are sound studies; however, they DO NOT support the therapeutic claims made by the publisher, Aroma Tools. For example, frankincense oil (Boswellia frereana) is said to be "anticancer." The questionable part here is that the author cites studies that use Boswellia sacra, NOT Boswellia frereana (both are species of frankincense.) One isn't necessarily inferior to the other. They are just different. I called doTerra directly yesterday at 2:51pm and spoke with a very sweet representative, "Andi." She informed me that doTerra has no affiliation with Aroma Tools and doesn't stand behind anything they have written. She went on to say that "a doTerra rep compiled that information [for the book] and used the doTerra product pictures. There's nothing we [doTerra] can do if someone wants to print things like that." Do a google search with "doTerra" and "Aroma Tools" and you'll see how egregiously incorrect this is.

2. The chemical constutients list for each essential oil is incomplete at best. These lists are also written such that they may be concealing duplicitous manufacturing/distilling procedures. The unfortunate part is that doTerra itself (at least its customer service agents) can't speak to this. For example, the lavender species sold by doTerra is Lavandula angustifolia. In its purest form, Lavandula angustifolia has less than .5% camphor. Camphor, by the way, is caustic. In order to produce lavender more cheaply, many companies mix in lavindin (which has a higher concentration of camphor.) In Modern Essentials, the specific camphor amount isn't listed, so we have no way of knowing exactly what type of lavender is being reviewed here.

3. WARNING ON INGESTING ESSENTIAL OILS AND APPLYING THEM DIRECTLY TO THE SKIN. Please do your homework. Find an unbiased source on essential oils before following recommendations in Modern Essentials. Ingesting EOs as directed in this book can bring about adverse reactions, including diarrhea, vomiting, blurred vision, nausea, dizziness, and more. Yes, the FDA has its GRAS list for EOs, but it is not necessarily intended to mean ingestion of undiluted oils. This has NOTHING to do with the purity of the oil itself, rather that EOs are highly concentrated and thus very powerful. The same holds true for applying EOs "neat" (undiluted) to the skin. For example, peer reviewed, objective, double blind studies show that Cananga odorata (ylang ylang) can cause hyperpigmentation. Modern Essentials advises applying ylang ylang undiluted, directly to the skin, and fails to mention this potential adverse reaction.

I am very concerned that the claims in this book may be harmful to people. Please be careful. This book is not written by an unbiased writer. In fact, it isn't even written by an expert in the field. I question the ethical nature of the therapeutic claims made (even doTerra won't stand behind them), and the usage recommendations are grounds for concern.

On a much different note (but most irritating to me as a reader) are the gross misspellings and typos in this published work. How can we not question the quality of the information provided when the writer can't take the time to correct his spelling or learn how to use "it's" and "its" properly? Seriously, why is that hard?

All this said, I am still a proponent of EOs in general, and there are most likely effective doTerra products on the market. I fully support moving away from pharmaceutical medication as much as possible, but it is important not to fall prey to unsubstantiated therapeutic claims and suggestions for use. This book gets a one-star rating for distracting seekers of sound information from that aim.

Update: Two or three people have indicated that this review wasn't helpful, but they didn't leave any response as to why. I value your feedback and would love to hear why this review wasn't helpful to you. Is it because I didn't suggest what to buy instead? Or maybe you're a doTerra IPC and this post might hurt business? (I get it-- you've got to make money.) Perhaps it's because folks (myself included) WANT this book to be what it claims to be. It's hard taking time to sift through all the information out there in order to make informed decisions. At any rate, if you thought this review wasn't helpful, please take a moment and let us (all the readers here) know why. It'll help everyone in the long run.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 18 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 95 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 17, 2014 12:21:36 AM PDT
mmf1111 says:
Are there other books out there along these lines that you WOULD be willing to recommend?

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2014 2:30:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2014 2:31:57 PM PDT
Anonymous says:
Good question! I think there are some good sources of information out there. Best advice for beginners would probably be to take it on an oil-by-oil basis. Learn as you go. For instance, if you're interested in grapefruit oil, you could google "side effects grapefruit oil." You would find that someone on blood pressure medication (calcium channel blocker) should take caution if ingesting grapefruit juice. You'd also find that using a monoterpene (like in orange and other citrus peels) isn't a good idea before sun exposure. It's a lot to learn overall, so take it one oil at a time.

Good resources are Kurt Schnaubelt, Robert Tisserand, Jeanne Rose... but I'd advise always to double check before you use something. Try one oil at a time. That way you can better assess what's doing the trick (or causing a reaction you don't want). Conservative use of oils is the best idea-- go slowly, especially when considering using an oil topically or internally. There's lots of debate about these uses, and with good reason. Oh, AromaWeb seems to be giving sound advice as well.

Hope this helps-- don't know if there's a way to direct message through Amazon, but I'd be happy to share information as things come up. Best to you :)

Posted on May 28, 2014 7:38:45 PM PDT
Rain Levity says:
Thank you for your thorough & seemingly well-informed review. I am glad to have read this before purchasing this book. I think I will look elsewhere for good resources in this matter, and will take your advice of consulting this one with caution (my sister purchased it, so I'll get something different & we'll compare notes). Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2014 1:24:05 PM PDT
Anonymous says:
Oh, that's so great! I wish you all the best :)

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 5:58:15 PM PDT
I am brand new to essential oils and naively assumed most reference material would contain the same basic information, just some easier to read and cross reference compared to others. So I offer a sincere THANK YOU for helping to educate me and continue to research before buying. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2014 5:44:08 PM PDT
Anonymous says:
That is SO nice to hear! Thank you for such a kind note-- & best of luck in your research and use of oils! Please don't hesitate to reach out again if I can help further.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2014 5:38:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2014 5:41:16 AM PDT
Michele says:
I am new to ESO's in the last year. I have tried 2 companies that are not MLM. I do believe they are what they say they are, but then how do you really know. They are Native American, and Veriditas Botanicals. Has anyone had any experience with either of these companies and how do we really know they are really pure. Thank you for your post

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2014 5:44:55 PM PDT
Gina O. says:
Michele, I am also new to EO's. I found a blog by Whole New Mom who did almost a years research on "The Best Essential Oil" company. It was very interesting and Native American Nutritionals is the company she recommends in the end. (Even though she has been with both Young Living and doTerra both). Check it out!

Posted on Jun 12, 2014 7:17:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2014 7:18:19 PM PDT
Shirley H. says:
I'm a new doTERRA rep so there's a good part of me that really wants to believe that this book provides everything I need (I'm also new to essential oils). However, I think it is so great that you post this review, because I think it is important to be an wise consumer. However, I would say that I feel like (at least for me) this book serves as a great starter point, especially since I use doTERRA oils so it just makes it simpler. But I agree that it is very important to cross reference and if there's a greater source out there, I would love the recommendation. :)

Posted on Jun 12, 2014 10:35:20 PM PDT
francess says:
Good food for thought. But I'd prefer to hear about what is a better source of information out there if you are so vehemently opposed to this publication. And your review has a distinct undertone of anger running all through it. Especially your Update. Makes a person wonder what your affiliation is. There is good and helpful contrast in your review of the book......but what is there to be so angry about? It would be a more helpful review if you could provide (all the readers here) with a better source of information on EO's? If one is going to throw the spotlight on a problem, is it not best to also throw a spotlight on the solution?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›