Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars TWICE as fast as my internal MacBook 7200 RPM drive...Just don't lose your caps, May 26, 2012
This review is from: Patriot 64GB Supersonic Magnum Series USB 3.0 Flash Drive With Up To Read 260MB/sec & Write 160MB/sec - PEF64GSMNUSB (Personal Computers)
I had high hopes for this drive. I have been using the older Patriot XT as my main data drive on my PC for a long time. I've always loved the flexibility of keeping my primary data on flash drives, then using my various computers to back them up. The only down side WAS that USB drives WERE slower than internal drives, so I had to take a slight performance hit for the flexibility of having my data with me at all times.

This drive changed everything for me. I ran my usual set of benchmarks to see just how it stacked up against my older drive... and my internal. The results blew my mind. I use a MacBook Pro 17" 2011 model with a 7200 RPM drive and I get about 100MB/S for both read and write. In my benchmarks, this USB 3.0 flash drive gets a staggering 210MB/s reading... and 130MB/s writing. That's more than twice the speed reading ... and 30% faster writing. WOW!

One word of caution. I got this performance using a USB 3.0 ExpressCard 34, so you WON'T get this speed using a MacBook Pro less than 17 inches (they don't have ExpressCards in smaller models).

The drive came pre-formatted as Fat32, which makes it very compatible, but to me it's a worthless format for larger volumes because it limits files to 4GB or less, plus it has no built-in recovery options. So, I re-formatted it under Mac and under NTFS (using the Paragon NTFS drivers). I actually got faster performance under NTFS, so I kept it in that format so I can share the drive with my Windows computers.

Also, I should point out that even under USB 2.0, the drive is still faster than older models because it has 8 channels of memory instead of 4 like the previous model. So, in my benchmarks the drive clearly outperforms the older model in 2.0 computers, with reads at 35MB/s and writes at 25 MB/s... compared to 28MB/s read... and only 14MB/S writing. So, even in USB 2.0, writing is now twice as fast.

Bottom line... This drive SMOKES!

**** UPDATE MAY 2016 ****

I should point out one problem I've discovered. The caps on these are very fragile and they can eventually lose their grip, making them useless. I have several of these, including my newest which is only 10 months old and contacted the manufacturer hoping to get a replacement cap under warranty. They sent me to an Ebay seller's page where they sell them for $3, plus $2.60 to ship. Could you imagine that? $2.60 to ship the cap? So, it's nearly $6 to replace the cap. Just keep that in mind.

[Add comment]