4.0 out of 5 stars Idealpoint/New Trent Customer Service EXCELLENT, Battery: Excellent (Although they Had a BAD Batch), February 28, 2011
This review is from: New Trent IMP99D/NT99D iGeek - 11200mAh External Battery Charger for Smartphones and Tablets USB (Electronics)
Bought one of these IMP880 batteries from Idealpoint. Nice looking battery, great stats, but didn't hold a full charge and I couldn't quite get 3 full iPhone recharges on it (it's rated for 5) so I contacted Idealpoint from whom this was purchased through Amazon. Wow, talk about great customer service. As I didn't have time to deal with a lengthy return process as I needed this battery ASAP for a vacation just around the corner, they really took care of me, shipping out a new one while I sent back the defective one. Seriously beyond my expectations and I got the replacement just in time - whew! Thanks Idealpoint and Sammy who took care of me!

About the battery - well, great stats, great looks, portable (although you need to carry it's own AC adapter charger with you, but that's not such a big problem), and functionality is nice. But reliability? Well, the first was bad, and the replacement, although it's holding a charge and I assume I'll get 5 full iPhone recharges out of it (gotten 2 already, will post with update if there is a problem), this 2nd one doesn't fully recharge either of my 2 iPhones fully (only to 92% on my older 3GS, and only 95% on my wife's new iPhone), before it turns off by itself (the first defective one charged each to 100% full). So...well, that's not such a big problem, but it makes me worry if this replacement is going to last with the electronics not working ideally. Thus, the 4 stars and that's on faith that I'm going to get at or near the 5 full iPhone recharges as stated, else I'm going to have to return it and go with another model I guess - perhaps the 1100 maH one. We'll see, but if you see no "UPDATE" on this review, then it otherwise worked fine, and gets the overall 4 stars with the caveats mentioned above...

UPDATE (March 2011): Okay, it's not looking good for the IMP880. Got 3 full recharges and 7% on the attempted 4th (so 3.07 recharges) - that is a FAIL. Plus it only recharged to 95% at best on my wife's phone, so when you take that into account, it's actually the same as the first one I returned - less than 3 recharges. I will fully recharge this fully drained IMP880 overnight for over the stated 7 hours but I'm NOT IMPRESSED. As an electrical engineer, I can state that the phones were on standby & were unused with no texts or phone calls received (bluetooth and wifi were off) so the light periodic "chirps" to the base stations should only have accounted for 1%-2% of effective extra drain on the IMP880 at the most for the approx. 1 hour charge cycle which doesn't come to a fraction of accounting for being an entire 2 iPhone recharges short of its stated rated charging capacity. I expect after one more full test with a 100% full complete solid recharge (from dead, fully drained)that I'll know for sure if this is going back and I'm going to have to try another model or brand. I don't recall seeing anyone doing a thorough test on these IMP880's to verify their stated capacity - 2 in a row shows something is seriously wrong with these...

UPDATE (5/4/11): Returned my 2nd (bad) IMP880 to New Trent last month for testing & sought an e-mail exchange with the engineers at New Trent to get to the bottom of this. As an electrical engineer, I provided my detailed test results for both batteries, and over several weeks time of e-mail exchanges regarding my and their own personal retesting, it turns out New Trent did have a production (factory) side problem with a batch of their batteries, as is obvious by the 2 failed IMP880's in a row that I purchased. Although going through all this uncertainty over such a long period of time was not fun, New Trent customer service (Sammy) and engineers/testers (John, Helen, Vivian) really spent much time with me to get to the heart of this matter, always taking my concerns seriously, and testing an IMP880 off the factory floor personally to find and guarantee one that would charge an iPhone 3G(s) 5 times as advertised and rated. All of this without any cost to ship my failed batteries back, and no cost to send me each replacement to me! I finally finished testing this 3rd IMP880 and WOW, this is how these batteries are supposed to work! This IMP880 works not just as advertised, but better - I got a full, entire 5.36 recharges (from 0% dead iPhone to 100% 5x then a 6th charge up to 36%). Thank you John, Vivian & Helen!

For those that want to know if they have a bad battery from the production problems New Trent had (which they're now looking into and correcting), you should ideally see how many full charges you can get (0% to 100%) after having your IMP880 fully charged over night (keep a log so you don't lose track). If you don't want to go through this hassle, then here's the quick test to get a pretty good idea: Charge your IMP880 over night then unplug it. An hour later turn it on. If you see 4 LED lights, then it's holding a charge, and should likely be good! Each of the first two failed IMP880's I received would NOT hold 4 LED's for more than 1 minute after charging over night (meaning it could not hold a charge in addition to not having capacity to charge an iPhone more than ~3x).

So my FINAL REVIEW and comment is this: Once you get a proper, fully functional IMP880, you will be quite impressed - at least 5 full charges for the iPhone (3G(S) tested in my case), and if you don't, New Trent will stand by their product more than 100%, providing for a free return to them and a new unit sent out for free, and even time via e-mail to talk with their engineers and product testers if you really want to. What better customer service could anyone possibly ask for? I'm VERY PLEASED overall with the final result, and highly recommend this company who stands by their products, makes no excuses, and wants very clearly to build their reputation via the best customer service possible, with a very good product (that has had some hiccups admittedly, but you now know how to test yours and you know they'll take care of you if you had one of the bad batches).

[Add comment]