4.0 out of 5 stars Not just a fun read, an enlightening one, too, May 15, 2009
This review is from: Why We Make Mistakes: How We Look Without Seeing, Forget Things in Seconds, and Are All Pretty Sure We Are Way Above Average (Hardcover)
I'll admit, the color of the dustjacket was what caught my eye, then the fact the dustjacket was clearly crooked. Being an almost librarian (90 %!) and general book lover I picked it up first to straighten it, then noticed - DUH - it's part of the marketing.

I put it on top of my books to sit and peruse, and became enthralled by the subject matter. Again, as an almost librarian all subjects related to things like attention span, and how the internet age affects that, never fail to pull me in.

I will also admit books with too much technical jargon lose me. I'm a word person, and not particularly good at spatial logic, technical terms, etc. But no problem with this book. It's written in a accessible, witty style.

I learned so much. My only disagreement is I don't think myself superior in intelligence to others, despite my - ahem - perfect 4.0 GPA so far in graduate school (librarians need Master's degrees, yes, it's true). I work hard for the grades I get, and credit my natural curiosity with my interest in esoteric subjects like the theme of this book.

So much is packed into a small space in this book. It was even more a riveting read than I hoped, and I've been recommending it to everyone who'll listen. Quite obnoxious that way, I am.

I bought this book as a birthday present to myself, and I never buy myself nonfiction. To me that says a lot. To most others it'll mean, "So what?!" But you'll have to trust me on this one.

I heartily recommend this as a rather eye-opening treatise on the workings of the brain, how our attention span is often as long as that of a goldfish. What was I saying?

Oh, it's a great read.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]