Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

1.0 out of 5 stars Unsanitary - eventually may cause food poisoning, January 22, 2010
This review is from: KitchenAid KHB100ER Hand Blender, Empire Red (Kitchen)
I bought this to replace a Braun I had for 15 + years. This was to replace the cheap Braun on which the motor finally gave out after thousands of uses. I have the most expensive Braun and it is the best ever made, however Braun has stopped making hand blenders all together (I wrote to Braun and that is what they told me). I have always thought kitchen aid to be a great product and in the past they were, until they sold out to Westinghouse. The blender works well, although the slowest speed is higher than medium speed on my Braun.

The problem is the seal on the bottom of the mixing shaft under the blade. There is a rubber gasket or sealer that does not seal, but traps blended food under it. After a through washing and allowing it to stand and dry the food particles leak out and dry. I used mine daily, week days at work, to make a whole food/protein shake. Each day I washed it thoroughly and dried it. The next day I would take it to make my shake and note that particles of yesterdays shake had seeped out from under the rubber seal. I tried cleaning under the seal on the outside only to discover that the problem also appears to be in the center next to the shaft where it is impossible to clean. I could actually see food trapped half under the rubber seal and there is no way to clean it out. My shakes are green in color and I can see the green, gradually turn to brown, on the outer edge of the rubber seal and again whole food trapped under the center.

Amazon has been great about returning products that are defective and has assured me that they will get me a full refund for this product. My problem now is finding a quality hand blender equal to the top of the line Braun to replace this KA.

If i can see the very bottom where the blade and seal are it would make the purchase easier. Braun put a stainless steel plate with an O ring in the center and what appears to be a durable sealant on the base. That is how you make a quality product, not the way kitchen aid made this product. If they would fix this problem, the rest of the blender has worked fine 5 days a week for 4 months.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2010 12:04:05 PM PST
jparamax says:
Have you checked out the Cusinart immersion blender? I hear it has great reviews but I wonder if it will have a similar problem to what you found with the KA..

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 6:36:56 AM PDT
Erin says:
I am still using a Braun handblender with attachments I bought at Wal Mart in the 90's for about $20. The chopper cup attachment just finally became damaged when my husband decided to put whole cloves in it, and the clove dust has literally fused itself to the hard plastic making it useless unless you just really LOVE the flavor of cloves. In looking for another one, I have discovered that Braun is not making these in the US anymore. Is our dollar really so worthless they don't want to bother, or what? I am going to live without the chopper cup and pray the rest of it holds out until Braun decides they want to go ahead and take the $ Americans are having to pay for these substandard hand blenders UNLESS there is a way to convert the UK Braun handblenders and make them work here.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011 7:46:36 AM PDT
Braun stopped making these hand blenders several. 5-10, years ago world wide according to an email I received from Braun. I wrote to them because I had a cheaper model, that I used for travel, burn out after 15 years use and wanted to find the top of the line model I had for home use, purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond for $40.
They wrote me back and said that had discontinued manufacturing the product several years before and had not sold the rights for anyone else to manufacture that product. They apologized but did not know of anyone who made a similar product. They never mentioned making them for outside the US usage, just that they had stopped making them completely.
To continue I researched for 2 months off and on trying to find a hand blender that was made like the braun and could not find a single one that even came close to the quality, functionality or had the host of attachments that came with there top line model. I went through 3 until I had to settle on one made in Italy, I think, that is no where near the quality or ease of use, or has near the attachments, and will break in 1-3 years of regular use, but it was the best I could find.
I was assured from there email response that this has nothing to do with the dollar or our dictatorial government and everything to do with the plain fact that they stopped making the hand blenders 5-8 years ago.
Mark
P.S. I did find someone who had 2 or 3 top line models and was selling them for 10 times the original cost, $300-$400, but this was 2 years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 1:27:43 PM PDT
Liz Beth says:
Same thing for me. We had a Braun that performed very well and was good quality and lasted us a long time. I liked it so much I wanted to get another one and couldn't find one. Oh well.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 8:01:38 PM PDT
I agree wholeheatedly after 5 months my KA hand blender no longer works. KA was no help because I didn't have a reciept (since it was a gift). I too had a Braun For over 10 years and wish Braun was still making hand blenders.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 7:16:56 AM PST
S. Hartman says:
I agree. I had the same problem after about a year. I'll now check under the blade before I purchase another immersion blender. KitchenAid has the blending rods for this model available on their website to replace the broken one, but it costs $29 and when you add the S/H you are paying almost as much as a new one with a one year warranty.

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 5:03:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2013 5:18:49 AM PDT
R. Guertin says:
Food poisoning - Hi I love the Kitchen Aid Blender, but I noticed that liquids, and surely food particles (can be smelled although cannot see them) enter this blending arm shaft as I blend or clean in liquid - which comes out from the joint on the blender arm and from the blade shaft on the bottom. See this YouTube video I just made (copy and paste the URL) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePFu38ebocU&feature=em-upload_owner

Posted on Apr 20, 2014 7:02:38 PM PDT
I too love the KA immersion blender but after daily use for over a year noticed the smell and leakage under the rubber gasket. The bacteria and mold was so disgusting when I looked under it. I can't believe it hasn't been recalled due to food poisoning! I will search for a new one even though the motor on this one is still great. It is a health hazard for sure.

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 7:04:32 AM PST
You are soooo right! That rubber rubber seal finally came loose on mine and it got blended into the drink. I didn't even realize it until I was drinking it and got chunks of plastic in my mouth. Horrible design! I paid good money for this piece of junk!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›