Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a Protein Powder that WORKS WELL - Gluten Intolerant, May 14, 2010
I have highly-sensitive gluten-intolerance. Other protein powders I've tried gave me gluten reactions which include intense body aches and horrible digestive, gastro-intestinal problems.

Garden of Life works beautifully for me -- it fills me AND satisfies me, gives me energy, and I have no reactions or GI issues with it at all.

I especially appreciate Raw Protein if I am traveling and cannot find anything safe to eat. By always having the powder on hand along with some gluten-free fruit or vegetable juice, I'm covered.

The powder is also helpful if I'm in a hurry and don't have time to prepare a full, gluten-free meal (which can be very time consuming since I try to stick to whole foods only).

Also, a little powder mixed with juice is a nice pick-me-up between meals, especially in the late afternoon or early evening -- you know that time of day when you're not ready to eat dinner (or too tired after working to cook), yet you're hungry NOW? I don't know about you, but snacking between meals is when I have the greatest tendency to overeat.

Because the powder is so nutritionally balanced, it satisfies me and gets me through to a light dinner MUCH easier than if I were reaching for other foods.

So far, I've enjoyed mixing it in a Vita-Mix with a little ice, pineapple and/or banana. Frozen banana works particularly well. If I'm not making a smoothie, I use an Aerolatte Moo frother to mix it right in the glass or cup (Bodum also makes a frother that is supposed to be excellent).

Today for lunch, I mixed it into organic, gluten-free tomato soup, and I really enjoyed it. I've even mixed the powder with coffee!

Flavor: I don't really detect much "flavor" at all. It tastes neutral and takes on the flavor of whatever you mix with it. The texture, however, could be better. It has a mouth feel that's just a little like mixing flour with water (note: NO flour is in this, it is completely gluten-free - I'm just using "flour" to describe how it feels in your mouth). Like I said, it feels that way "just a little" -- for me, it's a minor thing.

Raw Protein is a wonderful blessing. It makes me feel good when I drink it -- it fills me and gives me a sense of well-being that I'm not getting from most foods right now, perhaps due to my still having problems with my body properly assimilating everything I eat. If you have gluten-intolerance, you probably know what I mean: it's that satisfied, clean (meaning no GI issues to worry about)feeling.

I am very, VERY happy to have found this product.

Two sidenotes:

1- I wish it were available on Amazon.com with PRIME shipping. If it were, I'd buy it here rather than elsewhere.

2- Garden of Life should ask the Gluten Intolerance Group of North America to certify their product as gluten-free. More and more celiac and gluten-intolerant folks want to but products that are less that 10 gluten parts-per-million. This product probably is, or I would react to it, so the company might as well get the certification. For me, certification is the gluten-free gold standard for what-to-buy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2011 5:54:27 PM PST
Teresa says:
I've not tried this product yet, and wondering if you know if mixing it with hot things destroys the nutrients? I would love to even cook it up like a hot cereal, and considered trying it in coffee as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2011 7:46:02 AM PDT
L. Bernstein says:
I have used it in hot coffee, soup, etc. I am trying to remember if I called the company to see if heat destroys the nutritional values, and I believe I did. You might want to call the company to make sure.

Posted on Apr 30, 2014 8:05:00 AM PDT
N says:
hello, im also gluten intolerant. But this powder gives me the reaction like i did eat a piece of bread. I found in ingredients that is has brewers yeast and yeast has gluten-like proteins that the body recognizes as gluten and thus immune response. I wonder if you are still using the powder and felling great? thank you!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›