5.0 out of 5 stars SO much better than a DS Lite!, January 1, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo DSi XL - Midnight Blue (Video Game)
This is one of the best video game systems ever, kudos Nintendo!

COLOR
The Midnight Blue color is one of the best out there. It looks like a blend of Pacific Blue and Cerulean. It does not stain your fingers like someone on a Best Buy review said, but after having it for about two weeks, I cannot get rid of the finger prints without wiping it with a microfiber cloth.

Update: If you don't wipe off the top COVER, it will get really dirty. My front camera didn't take a quality pic, and it was because the camera was dirty from my smudgy fingers!

SOUND
The sound is pretty good. It definitely sounds better than the DS Lite. It also gets very loud, so I tend to have it on the second or third volume level.

SCREEN
Touchy topic here(excuse the pun), but the screen is actually better than expected! I DO notice the pixelation of the larger screen, but half the time, it is because I am too close to it. I have gotten used to the small screens of the DS Lite, so I need to back up off of the screens a bit. It really is not terribly blurry like some others state, and it does not bother me. Please get screen protectors! DSi XL Official Nintendo Screen Protectors are excellent. You will absolutely regret it if you do not get screen protectors, trust me.

Update: The pixels, I haven't noticed after having it for 3 months now, stopped noticing about 2 months ago(I guess).

Update 2: When the DS Lite and DSi XL are next to each other on PictoChat, The DSi XL's graphics are a little 'softer', if you get what I mean. Not blurry, but softer.

FEATURES
DSi SOUND: Great sound quality, comes out crystal clear, filters aren't rubbish.

Update: I'm mildly irritated that your remixed version of the recording overwrites the original one. Why not make it a whole new version?

Photo Clock: I don't have to keep fiddling with the alarms for different days, and I like my own sounds over the three basic ones(#3 alarm sounds like a baby mobile, yuck!)

Flipnote Studio: To keep it short and sweet,OVERRRATED by Nintendo(sorry!). I use it to doodle occasionally, not impressed. Flipnote Hatena(however you spell it), ehh, underwhelming.

Brain Age Express(both): Great training games, not overly boring. I enjoy Virus Buster, which needs to be unlocked. CHALLENGE mode(get Brain Age of 20 to unlock) is tougher than the regular games, but overall the same(only got to 1st level on Math, 2nd on Arts/Letters).

Update: I have gotten bored with these, thank goodness I didn't buy this for Brain Age!

DSi Shop: Don't have Points, can't comment, but the navigation let me down, loads too long and too often.

Update: I feel the games aren't so great for how much they cost, even thought I haven't bought one.

INTERNET
This is great for checking email, game scores, and the like. I recommend trying to find a mobile version of the site to get onto, because it can be a little slow with the loading time. It will not replace the computer, but it is O.K.

Update: It is easy to find access points, haven't found a Nintendo Zone(for WIFI), but then again, hardly use this like I used to.

COMPARISON
This thing is HUGE compared to the DS Lite! I had been playing the DSi XL for a few days when I put the DS Lite and the DSI XL side by side. I opened the DS Lite, and I was amazed I had played with the thing! Its screens were so small and everything was puny on it. I am so glad I upgraded.

CONCLUSION
I recommend anyone with a DS Lite, Original DS, or a Gameboy(WHAT?!) to stop squinting at those little screens and get the DSi XL.

Note to DSi owners: This is NOT for you. This is just a bigger version of what you own. So do not waste your money, or if you are a kid, do not waste your parents' money.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]