2.0 out of 5 stars Poor print quality, February 3, 2011
This review is from: Brother HL4150CDN Color Laser Printer with Duplex and Networking (Office Product)
I purchased the Brother HL-4150CDN color laser printer one day ago. It prints fast. The test page which consists of very, very simple, small, solid blocks of color and type, printed great! But it was printing only pure yellow, pure magenta, pure cyan. That is not a test of whether the printer prints well if it needs to print any other color. I have had good luck with other brother products in the past. But this one not so much.

I am printing out complex graphics and bought the printer because I read reviews stating that it had the best graphics and the one of best photo printing results for a laser printer. But the first print, and every print I tried, was very dark, had an uneven sheen to it, and anything that was tan or pink was absolutely magenta. The blues, which should have been light blue, were dark electric blues, It was not usable. I had printed the same graphic file the day before with a Cannon laser printer and it was what you would expect from a laser printer... slightly saturated, but perfectly acceptable. The color on the HL-4150 CDN is totally wrong. I am very disappointed. I tried to call Brother 4 times and each time I was greeted by an automated attendant, put on hold for quite a while - (30 to 40 minutes) and when I finally connected to a human being, they put me on hold and I was then disconnected. That happened every time. I was unable to get any help from Brother. I tried adjusting settings on the printer all to no avail. Went on line looked at the manual - no help. It maybe good for simple pie charts where the color accuracy is irrelevant, but If you need to print more complex color graphics I'd have to say, this is not a good printer at all. I am returning mine.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2011 2:11:15 AM PST
SorenTwo says:
Wow. Good to know. Thanks.

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 10:57:57 AM PST
I am too is having bad time with this printer, it had gone through 2 sets of toner cartridges
in less then 4 months, that is a total of about $500 , in less than 2 months, when I called
support they were like so what ?, then he says even if you print on word in color the printer counts it as one page, what????? , example let say you print 2000 pages in black and each page had one statement in color which about 3 to 10 words , then you have lost one complete page, that is very very very very very stupid one page is usually about 168 words that is 5% of the page, which is the standard when the yield per cartridge , i will never buy a color laser from Brother, again , and will never recommend to any one , they are just so very cold

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 12:46:30 PM PDT
KA says:
Interesting, I just printed a test page by pushing "Go" and "Secure" at the same time on a demo 4150CDN at the nearby office supplies store; and the test page was a full-duplex BRILLIANT color page with a large photograph of open paint cans of various colors on one side. It had large swaths of solid color and showed excellent color consistency. Perhaps you happened to see the test page of an older version?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 10:25:26 PM PDT
SorenTwo says:
You've got to be leery of these test prints. They're optimized at the factory. I suggest you don't know what to look for. First, you're looking at basic colors, not blended colors, like flesh tones. Next, you're not looking at something like gradients or other natural, which is much more difficult for a machine to recreate. These factors are significant. Try looking at something natural and see how it does, as simple as a lush sunset in a forest. Tons of color, difficult to recreate.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2011 8:08:37 AM PDT
try running the inbuilt calibration. No problem with my 4150cdn. Colours are very good for a laser printer. This is not a photo printer - I do use a Canon Pro9000 for my photography.

Posted on Jul 11, 2011 1:08:20 PM PDT
janoclock says:
Movieman, I couldn't agree with you more! I'm a freelance graphic designer and I bought this printer, in part, because of Brother's Postscript support, which is essential for me to have. I also have one of their B&W lasers and really like it. I read the reviews on Amazon, and although yours gave me pause, I bought it anyway. Big mistake! After setting up, which was easy, I printed files from a CD insert design that had already been commercially printed--not even close! The saturation levels are ridiculous. What was supposed to be lime green came out almost grass green. Robin's egg blue (VERY light) was deep ocean blue. Complex continuous-tone graphics were muddy. There's no subtlety with this printer. And doing color calibration and setting toner economy to on made no difference at all. Now, I'm not expecting SWOP proof quality, but it has to be in the ballpark or it can't be used for general design proofing or client presentations. Fortunately, Office Depot gave me a refund, not an exchange as is their normal policy, when I showed them my color samples. Even the cashier couldn't believe the difference! Anyway, Movieman, I'm dying to know what you ended up getting and if you're happy with it. I'm at a bit of a loss.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2011 1:54:30 PM PDT
ok you are right the colors are not good , not for use with graphics or artist work, or even any type of work that requires clean and accurate
color prints, the problem i am having with this one is that it ends the life
of the toner cartridge very quickly , but I found a solution on the web
how to rest the cartridge to new cartridge, then continue to use for another 1500 pages on black prints,
you can search the web on how to rest the toner cartridge for brother printers and you will find all the instructions for many types of cartridges.
the user that is using this printer he mostly prints E-mails ans some documents with some or no color at all, so he is happy with it now
but he said it too large for his desk, I bought it form Amazon.com, it looked smaller in picture, another twist they add to make you buy it

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 2:53:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2012 2:54:16 PM PST
Chris Spurr says:
Movieman - having similar color issues with the printer...way too much saturation in all the prints. if you try and dial it down...say back the red down a bit, you begin to get blocky/jaggy/very pixelated color transitions, which is TOTALLY unacceptable with today's technology. i downloaded a firmware update...but the problem is still present for me. flesh tones and neutrals are terrible on this printer. i was stoked when i bought this printer for my business...unfortunately it is quickly turning into a 50lb paperweight. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY LUCK or HAVE SIMPLY MOVED ON TO ANOTHER PRINTER.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 10:18:13 AM PDT
Travinsky says:
I am surprised you gave them 2 stars... From what I am reading including the extra comments from other buyers, it should have been a lower rating. Guess I need to get another pricey Canon in color to complement my B/W MF6550 that I purchased a few years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 4:24:55 PM PDT
Chris Spurr says:
I would imagine the two star rating is due to the price of the printer...as it is significantly less expensive than its competitors (i.e. HP, Canon). I will say that I have an entry-level business-class (laser) fax machine by Brother, and it has performed flawlessly for me so far - therefore, to be fair, not all Brother print products are junk...this printer just needs some real help.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (195 customer reviews)

$399.99 $329.99