5.0 out of 5 stars Great Improvement over Prior Linksys N, April 15, 2011
This review is from: Linksys E2500 (N600) Advanced Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router (Personal Computers)
Setting up this router using the included software (Cisco Connect) was a breeze. Within 20 minutes, I installed Cisco Connect, named my network, set my password, secured my network and connected my desktop (hardwired), wireless laptop and bluray player. Setup was a breeze.

The E2500 replaces my Refurbished Linksys WRT160N, which stopped working less than a year after I bought it. That was difficult to use from the start(btw, dd-wrt didn't fix the problem).

The E2500 is lightening fast. I tested streaming video and it worked great wirelessly on my laptop and bluray player all over my house. I recommend using the Easy Setup Key via Cisco Connect to connect a laptop, it was a breeze to use. You can have a Guest Network that has a separate password and doesn't allow guests access to certain files on the network. This is easy to setup via Cisco Connect and easy to turn off or on. Using Cisco Connect can replace going to the web-based router setup browser page for all of the basic setup needs and more.

The unit runs hot, but dint burn a whole in surface its on. There are no lights on the face of the router like prior model designs. The E2500 looks much sleeker.

So the router is FAST, was EASY TO INSTALL and I had 3 devices CONNECTED WITHIN 20 MINUTES.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 20, 2011 12:28:38 PM PDT

Posted on May 26, 2011 10:27:08 AM PDT
Jordan Nash says:
Hey, I was wondering if you could give an update on how this router is doing for you after a month. I need to buy a router, but I want to make sure the one I buy is reliable over time, my Belkin router started out great and very quickly declined to where it is now, not working at all hardly. I also wanted to know why you went back to another cisco router after your old cisco router quit on you after just 11 months. Thanks so much.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2011 12:45:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2011 12:54:57 PM PDT
Icculus says:
Router is still doing great. Old cisco router was a Refurb - kind of knew going-in per the reviews for that one it had issues. Went back to cisco because of the price point (considering power / speed) and relied on cisco getting this right since they are a huge company whose major business focus is home networking for the average consumer. My positive review was b/c I was really impressed with the ease of initial setup (i was stressed about that prior to delivery), ability to modify basic features easily (w/o having to go to the web-based admin page) and its speed. It has performed great so far, but time is the only tell on realiability. Btw, I don't work for cisco and am no way affiliated with cisco or any wholesaler / retailer.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 9:56:58 AM PDT
Could you tell me if there are wall mount holes on the back of the router? It's not a huge deal for me, but I'll be using this in an office and would like to mount it on the wall with our other network gear. Thanks.

Posted on Sep 8, 2011 7:19:45 PM PDT
Klaus says:
Hard to believe they're so cheap they won't even supply a few status lights. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 12:32:52 AM PST
M. Sawyer says:
Status lights are reduced in number, but still appear on the back panel and the glowing Cisco logo on the top, providing info based on the blinking patterns. Maybe not as intuitive as a full array of status indicators, but you can still get basic status info this way.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 10:15:59 PM PST
Desiree says:
Thanks for your review. Do you know if this router supports 220V? I sometimes need to travel to areas where they use 220v instead of 120V, so this will be a big factor in whether I should get this router or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 5:28:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 19, 2012 5:28:46 AM PST
Trikky says:
@Benjamin I do not see any wall mount holes on bottom of it. Sorry it's a fairly smooth surface with rubber grips.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:38:25 PM PST
P. Brooks says:
Hi all, One thing this router can do well is convert to the DD-WRT OEM flash upgrades well. It has enough ram to accommodate all flavors of the OEM flashes and makes this inexpensive router a first class enterprise device. At least check DD-WRT because it's likely you may have an old router that you can test on. I use them in VOIP phone system installs with great success. You can build firewalls using IPtables and Firewall Builder. Cool stuff.

Posted on Jun 13, 2014 3:42:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2014 3:43:04 PM PDT
Nuschler says:
Dear Icculus,
I just bought a new N600. I am computer illiterate..but I try! Will I need much tech knowledge to set up this router? My cable guy specifically recommended this router for me...

BTW..are you still using this or have you moved on??

‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›