5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite of Many!, August 11, 2008
This review is from: Sleepy Wrap Classic Wrap Baby Carrier, Red, 0-18 Months (Baby Product)
The Sleepy Wrap baby carrier is the best baby carrier I've ever owned. I don't say that lightly. I started wearing my babies when my first was born, over five years ago now. I've owned a Rebozo, Over the Shoulder Baby Holder, Kangaroo Adjustable Fleece Pouch, Ergo, Mama Baby Ring Slings, Shower Sling, Baby Bjorn, hmmm am I missing any? I wish that the Sleepy Wrap had been available with my first born. I wish that I hadn't been intimidated by baby wraps in the past. My husband thinks we should buy more of them, in many different colours! They are certainly affordable enough - for a baby carrier that is so easy to use, $34.00 is a steal of a deal, I doubt you could buy a similar, high quality fabric in the quantity needed for that price! The Sleepy Wrap is made out of a mainly cotton material that is similar to a cotton French jersey, very thick, soft and high quality; much thicker and more durable than the other knit fabrics I have baby carriers made of.

Our Sleepy Wrap, in red (available in a variety of colours to suit any taste), arrived before our new baby did. The first thing I noticed was that the instruction booklet was first class. Printed on glossy paper, full colour, step by step photographs and clear instructions. Though I had been intimidated and NEVER considered buying a baby wrap in the past (how complicated all that twisting and tying looked) I was surprised at how terribly easy it was to learn the basic ties. The first time I tied too loosely and my two year old was a bit timid in the carrier. So I tied on again, making sure to tie it snug, not leaving any extra room (don't worry, it will look like your baby won't fit in, but that is where the special, stretchy fabric comes into play) - and this time when I put her on she felt happy and secure. I haven't been carrying her in a sling or carrier much during this pregnancy, so she was out of practice, but she caught on very quickly.

The Sleepy Wrap is definitely one size fits all, from teeny tiny Mamma's to 9 month pregnant mamma's (like I was when mine arrived). My second daughter is a big two year old, over 30 lbs. and quite tall. Due to my pregnancy I tied the wrap under my belly, and it didn't make it around to the back again, but no problems! One thing I am very pleased with is that the circulation in her thighs was never cut off, her thighs never discoloured, the fabric never pinched, and it was very soft and comfortable against her legs. We've had problems with thigh constriction in other slings and carriers in the past - in order to get the child high enough and close enough to my body I had to cinch them in pretty tightly, sometimes resulting in thigh marks and discoloration....ick!

This is really the best carrier for getting your baby high and tight, once you have the wrap tied on snuggly, the rest is so simple, just pop your child in and you are ready to go with a high, tight, close, secure hold. Soon after my third baby was born, we got to try the wrap with her. Very easy to use with her as well. When she falls asleep I can cover her head with some of the stretchy fabric to keep it from being floppy.

I did get the ties to go around to my back again, but you can leave them on the front if they don't make it back around. I like to wear baby carriers with the fabric spread well over my shoulders and back for even weight distribution. I can do this so well with the Sleepy Wrap that I can hardly feel my baby on - more comfy than being pregnant! This miraculous stretchy fabric accommodates pretty near any size of child, just tying the carrier on snugly you can pop in either a newborn or a two year old, and you will still have a high, secure hold. This carrier will also fit any member of your family. My five year old likes to have me tie it on her so that she can carry her baby doll in it. She keeps volunteering to carry the new baby, but I think she needs to grow a little still before she can wear Sarah.

If you are a first time parent you can save yourself baby carrier buyer's remorse and just buy a Sleepy Wrap to start with. If you are an experienced parent, you may feel reluctant to buy yet another baby carrier, or you may have felt intimidated by wraps in the past - I know that I certainly did. I encourage you to step out in faith and buy a Sleepy Wrap as well, it is really the best carrier that our family has owned, and I only wish we'd had one for our previous children, particularly my very fussy firstborn.

[Add comment]