4.0 out of 5 stars Great computer but w/ a couple bugs, May 22, 2012
This review is from: ASUS A53SD-ES71 15.6 Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
*Read if you are having issue with the graphics card or plan to buy

I just bought the computer and I instantly loved it. The features of the machine are awesome and I have already expanded the memory to 8gb. However the issue primarily is with the Nvidia 610m card. The card could not be detected when I first booted up the machine, so I uninstalled the existing drivers and discovered that drivers for this machine seem to not exist. I first went to Nvidia for the drivers and the site scanned my machine and told me I needed to go to the manufacturer for drivers. Howerver on Asus's website there is no A53sd model so I started searching through forums on Nvidia and Asus. Apparently there have been a vast amount of people with driver issues for this card inside of Asus machines, especially this model. No one can find the drivers or acquire a working driver, but I found a solution for anyone who buys this computer. This worked on my computer what I did was I did a dxdiag and noticed the model number it displayed was the K53sd not a A53sd. The model is not the same the K53sd has an i5 but the same processor...download it anyway. The install scanned for Nvidia hardware and found compatible hardware for the driver. After a reboot the card was detected and was working great! Windows index went from a 4.9 to a 5.6. Took about a hour to figure it out, but this in noway changed my opinion of Nvidia or Asus.

Second minor bug which I dont really care for is the ac input for the charger is on the side of the computer. Until I got it home and started using it I realized I would have preferred it on the back. No a huge issue though

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 24, 2012 1:54:39 PM PDT
Brad says:
First off, thank you very much for pointing this out. Do you think you could elaborate a little bit on what to do though? I am having the same issue with the card not being detected, but I am a little unsure of what exactly I am supposed to do to fix the issue. The "download it anyway" is where I get lost. Download what and from where? Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 5:20:57 AM PDT
Matt says:
I should have clarified that part. Whatever model number the dxdiag thinks the hardware profile is for the machine is the drivers the system needs. This model is an A53sd, but I noticed when I ran the dxdiag the model number it thought my computer was the K53sd. The A53sd does not appear on Asus's product list but the K53sd does. I downloaded the graphics drivers for the K53sd. The drivers ran and installed completely (if it were the wrong drivers a message would pop up saying the hardware does not match the driver, this message did not appear) Since installing the drivers my benchmarks have inproved around 40% and I can access the Nvidia Control panel.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 5:05:28 PM PDT
Brad says:
Well I did as you said and still no luck here. The K53sd graphics drivers installed, and then I restarted the computer. I am still getting a 4.6 in the graphics index though, and under performance information and tools it still says I am using an intel graphics card. Was there anything else you did after installing the drivers? I am probably going to have to return this.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 7:57:04 AM PDT
Matt says:
After the install and reboot all I did was I opened the Nvidia control panel to see if it was detecting the GPU and I was. I was able to play with settings and then re-index my machine. I didn't have to change anything else, however I did notice if I run a dxdiag it still views the intel chipset as the graphics processor.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 10:57:01 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 29, 2012 10:59:52 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 10:57:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 11:00:05 AM PDT
K. Chones says:
Hello Matt, I also just purchased same laptop and I am experiencing the same problems. I am no computer expert but what website did you install the software, and what is a dxdiag?

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 7:44:36 AM PDT
Matt says:
Asus.com and you find the model under all products. dxdiag is the direct x diagnostic tool which views your systems specifications. Enter dxdiag in the command prompt which will run the application.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 7:26:41 AM PDT
bugefun says:
It switches between the integrated Intel graphics and the dedicated Nvidia card. This is to save battery. For any 3D games it should automatically use the Nvidia. You can also right click on an executable file and chose to open it with what graphics you want, and choose the default for that program. You cannot use the Nvidia for explorer.exe though, so that is why you get a lower index, and why only the Intel is recognized in system.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (39 customer reviews)

Out of stock