3.0 out of 5 stars I was really hoping it would be better..., May 2, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Battlefield 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I'll start off by saying I wasn't a huge fan of Battlefield 1942 and BF2 - never played 2142. I didn't think they were bad games but I was more into Ghost Recon and Operation Flashpoint at the time, but anymore I am more of a casual gamer and want something I can play for 15-20 minutes when I'm bored.

All my friends were driving me nuts about how awesome BF3 was going to be, and I'll be honest I was really impressed with the Bad Company games, and I played 1943 on X-box like crazy, I thought it was awesome because it was very simple and balanced. After hearing about BF3 and all of the new additions I was expecting something decent. So I'll start off with the Pro's:

Good maps, I didn't like them all at first but after awhile they've grown on me. Call of Duty tends to lean towards square maps while BF goes for a rectangular, meaning they're narrower but this leads to more front line like combat and I think it leads to more teamwork.

Good vehicle choices, theirs a decent number available, though some only on certain maps.

Good game types. I love Rush and Conquest, they never get old.

I'm not going to say the graphics are great blah blah blah, I'm sick of hearing people equate good graphics to realism, and pretty much every new game is going to have better graphics than its predecessor, so yeah BF3 has better graphics than BC2. What a shocker.

Now for the cons, in order of the ones that irritate me the most.

BF added hosted servers, it seems like this is practically all you get when you do a quick join, I don't know if they still have EA servers or not but these custom ones are absolutely ridiculous. Half the time, if you kill an admin on the server, they boot you. If you go on a killing spree, they do an "admin kill" thing to stop you. Probably 20-30% of games I get into for a minute or two and then I get booted after I kill an admin. This is absolutely idiotic.

The longer you play the more upgrades you get. This means if you just start out and you get in a jet, you're pretty much cannon fodder because A - you have practically nothing to fight with, and B - you really dont know what your doing. This means if you get stuck on a team with a couple new players who are trying to level up their jet, they're just going to sit in spawn selection and immediately hop into a jet, take off, get shot down, repeat. A better solution would be not to allow them into vehicles until they level up to a certain rank, or have them unlock it through training missions/single player/co-op, whatever. It drives me insane watching people horde a helicopter, only to crash it into a mountain 5 seconds after takeoff.

BF3 kept bragging about realism and damage on vehicles. Where is it???? The percentage levels? That was on BF2, the only thing new is that they catch on fire at around 33% life left. How is this some new crazy awesome thing? Operation Flashpoint had a way more advanced damage system, and that game came out 10 years earlier. Another thing with vehicles, a LAV-25 is not going to stand toe to toe with a tank. It takes about 3 frontal shots to destroy a LAV-25 in the game (and if someone is repairing it you'll never destroy it), in the real world one shot anywhere would blow that thing off the map. I realize its to even some maps where the marines dont have tanks, but the LAV does have an AT missile, but you can really only use it at close to medium range unless the tank is sitting on a hill somewhere.

I can't give it a horrible rating, because it is still pretty fun when you get into a decent game. The problem is actually getting into that game (if you don't have a party to play with forget it) and not getting booted.

I guess I do have one more complaint, and its not just with BF3 (CoD is a much worse offender), but I'm sick of the urban combat maps. Armies do not fight in cities. I realize this seems so awesome of a concept and after Black Hawk Down urban combat is all the rage, but it doesnt happen. The only time the US Army has fought in cities its either against insurgent activity or its been incredibly bloody fighting and the US doesnt repeat it. Mogadishu, Fallujah, Hue - insurgent fighting, horribly bloody, not really repeated. Cherbourg, Aachen, Manila (the US wasnt really expecting the city to be defended), horribly bloody, not repeated. No other army fights in cities either, unless its against insurgents or because some lunatic dictator decided it would be a good idea. No Army defends a city from inside either. Why doesnt it happen? Cities are a fortress, but also a death trap. You can't attack it without suffering huge casualties, so you just bypass it and lay siege and starve them out.

Please, just stop with the urban combat maps and put some more open terrain maps already. BF3 has a few of them thankfully.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 27, 2012 9:58:26 PM PDT
zomege says:
these are the problems with all fps
it gets really boring when:
-your playing with complete strangers
-you want lax gameplay
-getting kicked even when not doing very good or when doing amazing
-after a while you have seen the gameplay 8 hours of gameplay repeated in random order

although i play crossfire, combat arms and i enjoy the fps the xbox has to offer but really your gonna need a game that isn't all 12 year olds

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 1:58:37 AM PDT
Derek M. says:
I agree completely, you make some good points here.

I hate the fact that BF3 has turned to hosted servers only. Like you said, most of the time if you kill an admin you get booted. You get in a Jet (or chopper) and take down all the other teams aircraft (they start whining about it) admins on the same side they are...BOOM randomly blow up, ruins your spree, "Killed by Admin" Absolutely ridiculous...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:49:20 AM PST
Mark W. says:
I don't know what console you play on, but the admin kick thing never happens to me on xbox. I don't think I've ever played with an admin of a server. And on xbox there's still official EA servers, you just have to go to server browser and check off that option.

Posted on May 16, 2013 10:51:12 AM PDT
I hate those custom servers. They tell YOU what you guns you CAN'T use, and then you're booted half of the time for no damn reason. Dumbest move EA ever did.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2013 11:06:58 AM PDT
Mark W. says:
I've only been booted 3 or 4 times. Most of the time the host isn't even on. It's not a dumb move for ea they're making money off em
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (1,383 customer reviews)

$39.99 $16.00