ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components 100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

2,035 of 2,195 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Overall a Good Design and Stylish Case, September 20, 2012
This review is from: Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" (Previous Generation) Standing Leather Case, Saddle Tan (will only fit Kindle Fire HD 7", Previous Generation) (Accessory)
Purchased both this case and the Marware Axis case for our new Kindle Fire HD. Each has strengths and weaknesses. For those considering both cases, I'll try to compare them.

() Weight. The Amazon case (AC) is MUCH thinner and lighter than the Marware case. Whether this an advantage or disadvantage depends on several considerations, but the fact remains that the AC adds little to the weight and bulk of the KFHD. The MC swaddles the KFHD in a significantly heavier and bulkier case. Advantage: AC in everyday use.

() Protection. The disadvantage of the MC in terms of weight is balanced by the protection it provides. The MC case is well padded; the AC is not. The MC includes a separate inner plastic shell that increases both shock protection and functionality. (See below.) The MC includes an elastic band to hold the cover closed; the AC relies exclusively on the weak magnetic closure to keep the cover closed. The AC is adequate in this regard but the MC is a sure thing. Advantage: MC

() Functionality. Again, different designs and different choices. Both covers provide for "sleep mode" when closed. The elastic band on the MC makes opening the cover more involved but it also provides a more secure closure and less of a chance that the cover can open when packed in a bag. Advantage: Depends on what's important to you.

The AC provides covers over the KFHD's speakers, and easy to feel button/rocker covers for power and volume. The MC's internal plastic shell provides only cutouts. Advantage: AC. For those who have trouble locating the external buttons, it's a BIG advantage for the AC.

The MC's internal shell rotates from portrait to landscape and the case design provides a more stable stand with the cover forming a platform for the tablet in either postion. The AC uses the cover as an inverted V to act as a stand in landscape mode only. Although the AC's cover can also be used to prop up the tablet in portrait mode, the 90 degree angle cannot be adjusted in that configuration, making it useless for reading. Advantage: MC

The placement of the MC in the inner shell dictates that the KFHD can only be charged with the cover open. Otherwise, the charge port (and HDMI port) are covered by the case's spine. Marware touts this as an advantage in terms of protecting the ports from dust and damage. YMMV. It's clear that it's not an advantage for charging since the screen is unprotected. The AC has a cutout for the charge and hdmi ports. Significantly more convenient. Advantage AC.

Color and Cover Quality. This is a very subjective issue. My MC is in charcoal (gray really) and my AC is in saddle brown. The MC is relatively smooth "leather." (Not high quality but not bad.) The AC is a pebble grain "leather." I prefer the color and texture of the AC. It feels better in the hand and the thinner case just looks better to me. YMMV. For my part, Advantage: AC

Cost: The prices of the two covers are almost identical (about $45). Less expensive covers are available from Marware and much less expensive covers are (or will be) available from other sources. I've had good luck with Marware durability in the past and the design of the MC is more or less the same as others I've had. The AC may seem overpriced to some. Personally, I think the features and design are worth paying for. I can't speak for durability but I'm optimistic about the AC. It's a classy looking case (imo) and will likely stay that way.

Overall: I intend to keep the AC and return the MC. Less bulk and weight, better features, convenience, and ease of daily use are the deciding factors for me. If protection in rough environments, handling by a youngster, and a stable stand (especially in portrait orientation)were critical factors for me, I'd probably keep the MC. But if that were case, I'd probably wait for an Otterbox version for the KFHD.

Marware Axis Genuine Leather Rotating, Standing Case for Kindle Fire HD 7", Charcoal (will only fit Kindle Fire HD 7")

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 29, 2012 9:21:05 AM PDT
I so desperately need this kind of detail and am so blessed it was there for me EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED AND WANTED.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 12:23:10 PM PDT
Glad it helped, Jessye.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:49:02 PM PST
Raleigh man says:
This review is very well done. I like your approach to evaluation! Under Functionality, you commented that 'Both covers provide for "sleep mode" when closed" but you did not make clear whethr the MC awakens the KFHD when opened, like the AC does. Can you clarify?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:05:13 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
Yes, both covers have the same functionality in terms of awakening the device when the cover is opened.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 10:24:39 AM PST
Iris says:
Thank you for your review, I found it very helpful. I'm trying to find a durable case for my son. I am buying him a Kindle Fire HD 7 inch for Christmas and am having trouble finding a heavy duty case. I was hoping to get one from Otterbox but no luck. I chatted with them today and they said they have no plans for a case for the KFHD 7 inch. I am going to look into the Malware Axis and hope it fits my needs.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 7:15:49 PM PST
F. Merritt says:
Loved your review, it was very helpful and helped me decided on what case to buy, I am going with the AC.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 8:33:04 PM PST
Cathy L. says:
I just bought a Kindle Fire HD for my mother for Christmas. I am looking for a case she might like. Do you know if all cases that say they fit the Kindle Fire will fit the Kindle Fire HD? I am not certain if the HD kindle has different dimensions than the regular Kindle Fire. Your review was very informative. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 7:41:32 AM PST
jsh1120 says:

Unless the case is specifically advertised for the Kindle Fire HD, it's unlikely to fit. The dimensions are sufficiently different to mean that tight fitting cases will fit only one model.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 8:41:39 PM PST
lawlady says:
I've been looking for a cover for my Fire HD for a few weeks. Your review has sold me on this over. Thanks.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:45:05 AM PST
juju says:
thank you. very helpful comparison. i'm getting the AC for myself and the mc for my 11 year old nephew.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›