3.0 out of 5 stars Too ambitious, perhaps, for a first-time novelist, July 15, 2009
This review is from: Little Fingers (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
From the beginnng I settled into this book. There was a mystery, old bones uncovered and an architectural dig that quickly becomes a homocide investigation. Experts fly in from all over, and a few major characters are introduced. Each person has a different theory, many preposterous. I loved that.

Next, the love story. All's well there, too. I was completely drawn in. Not all the characters seemed fully realized, but the style was so endearing, so warm and funny.

But somewhere around the 3/4 point Florian seems to become intent on throwing in obscurity for its own sake. Suddenly I wasn't sure what I was reading. This section seemed so disconnected, it bore little resemblance to the book I thought I was enjoying.

I tried throwing myself into it, thinking I was the problem, that I'd dropped my attention and lost the story. And, finishing the book, I still can't say, with any degree of certainty, what went wrong. I just know I found this read unpleasurable.

What disappoints me is how strongly it began, and how off the wall it became. It's possible I just didn't get it, that I'm the reason for losing the plot. But frankly, I'm no fan of obscurity for its own sake. Had the entire book been in the same style as the last quarter that's one thing. I love stream of consciousness style writing. I can handle it. But when you suddenly divert and go down what seems to the reader a completely different path that's a problem. You need to leave me a trail of bread crumbs in order for me to follow you. I'm already in the palm of your hand. Don't obscure the path once I've come to believe I know the way.

This one just nags at me. It started so well. So, why am I only giving it three stars, just an average rating? Because it didn't have the follow through to keep me interested in reading. I wish I had the time to excavate all the meaning from this book, but I simply don't. For those who can, you're better readers than I.

Still, I recommend giving it a try. If there are sample chapters, read them and see what YOU think. I don't know if my jury feels comfortable with its verdict, but I have to go by my gut instinct and let my rating stand. Though with great regret.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]