Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Impressive - But Some Quibbles, June 30, 2009
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 1350 Series 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Overall, I am very satisfied with the Garmin nuvi 1350 but I do have a couple of minor complaints.

First of all, I do recommend that owners/potential buyers visit the Garmin web site to read through all of the product information and to review the FAQs. Some folks have made an issue of Garmin not including the USB cable with the device but this did not matter to me. The required cable is a standard type "A" to mini "B" USB cable. Many other devices use this same cable and I already own a couple of them. (I also heard that if you contact Garmin customer service, they may send you a cable at no charge.) Other reasons to visit the Garmin site: to register the product, to download the full PDF manual and to install the "my Garmin Agent Plugin" for web updates.

Next, my quibbles:
When the 1350 is plugged into a charging device (PC or vehicle), there is no way to determine when the unit is fully charged. This is very inconvenient. To view the charge level, you have to unplug the device and turn it on. Only then can you see the battery level. According to the Garmin FAQs, charge time is about 4 hours using the vehicle cable and 8 hours using the PC cable.
One of the features of the 1350 is the speed limit display. However, I find this to be of limited value. The speed display is frequently 5 to 10 mph too high compared with the actual posted speeds on the roads being traveled. As a result, this throws off the estimated destination arrival time.

Finally, why I am impressed:
When driving with the 1350, I never had any doubt where I was at any given time and I never had any doubt what my next maneuver would be (and isn't this the bottom line of any GPS?). The voice commands have plenty of volume, are easy to understand and they also give you adequate lead time for upcoming turns. The commands will also repeat but the voice is not annoying. Several times, I deliberately missed a turn to test how the 1350 would respond. It quickly calculated a revised route based on my current location.
I also found the screen to be clear and easy to see while driving (in bright sun, shade and at night).
The full manual states that a PDA type stylus can be used for the touch screen. I found this to be convenient (I'm actually using a stylus from a Nintendo DS.) While you can certainly use your finger on the screen, this will leave fingerprints and smudges on the screen.

Other notes:
I have the 1350 sitting on my dash with the Garmin "Portable Friction Mount" - highly recommended.
My 1350 came with a free case - the Caselogic MGPS-2. This case adequately protects the 1350 when it's not being used.

Overall, this has been a great purchase for my business travels and I would rate the unit as four and a half stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 28, 2010 11:05:50 AM PDT
M. Davis says:
With regards to the speed limit displaying higher than posted, we have seen that to some extent with our Nuvi 255 (posting here because we are considering this unit). We primarily see that when there is road construction and the speed limit has been posted as lower than normal (often using a "regulation" speed limit sign) for safety purposes.

Also, with regards to the USB interface cable, I have not had any issues using a USB/mini-USB cable from a digital camera or MP3 player for data transfer.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2010 8:03:40 PM PDT
I paid $83 for a refurb, and I'm not happy! This thing constantly is 'recalculating', right in the middle of using its own directions!
Getting satellites is also a challenge, never works inside my house (my old tomtom one 3rd edition worked flawlessly inside the house).

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 5:22:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2010 5:23:46 AM PDT
Hi, Does anyone notice the front silver faceplate is a bit loose on the left hand side? I am wondering if its defect or the way it is. thank

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 4:40:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2011 4:46:39 AM PDT
I agree with you. I have a 680,and purchased this unit. Everything that you said is right on. Garmin does make the best GPS units out there. I tried the major ones out there in a Car Toys, without looking at the directions, just, "let's try this, see what is easy to use, which one is user friendly." The Garmin took the prize. The Tom Tom was SO HARD to use! DON'T purchase a TOM TOM, you will regret it. I know two people that own one, and have had it for years (literally, years), and they still can't use it! Dump it, and buy a Garmin!

Also, the bean bag mount works very well. I have had one for several years, and it's perfect. I can easily remove the gps from the "joy stick" part of the mount, and put it in my purse.

Yes, you must charge your gps overnight before you use it, what's the problem? The majority of the items that you purchase have to be charged to their full capacity after purchase.

USB cord, yes, you will need one. What's the problem? I have several around the house from other items, not a problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2011 10:01:48 AM PDT
What makes you think your car's speedometer is accurate? As for the speed limits posted on the unit, I have found them to be quite reliable for the most part, both in Europe and the US.

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 6:43:39 AM PST
hi, gotta comment on so called speed inaccuracies. most cars speedometers are 2-5 mph off anyway. i use my gps for accurate speed because it IS gps-satellite monitored. if you think speed is bad because of gps - it so follows that ability to track would be off also. most gps only off 1 or 2 mph. the real problem is tire/rim size. your car is calibrated to stock size height, if you change the height size bt any amount, ie new tires and/or rims - speedometer reading will be off. my larger tire/wheel size is higher thus losing 10 percent and my wifes lower smaller tire/wheel size increases car speed reading by 10 percent. we use garmin TO determine real speed and it is correct. you can find ratios on google.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 10:44:32 AM PST
Lancelot says:
I got into this review and comments because it was attached to the 1370T I purchased prior to a cross country trip from Florida to California.
The discussions about the USB cable are so trivial, almost comical but I continued reading the dull USB question and answer game until I read Michael L. Schmit's remarks about the TomTom.
His "and have had it for years (literally, years), and they still can't use it" made me sharpen my pencil. If anybody has had a TomTom for years (literally, years) and can't use it, they should purchase an up-to-date paper map and use it.
I have used TomTom products for many years, ever since the first TomTom Go was offered.
Now I have purchased a Garmin, because the TomTom folks made my closed to $600.00, 920 unusable by selling me a map, which was too modern but allegedly usable in my unit. This made me extremely angry and that was my reason for never purchasing another TomTom unit. However, "SO HARD to use" is a joke.

Now to the 1370T; the traffic monitoring of this unit is in my opinion ineffective.
I was driving in traffic up to my ears and the traffic icon was green. At times I was driving almost by myself on the road between Houston, TX und San Antonio, TX and the traffic icon turned orange and indicating a 15 min delay.
The direction instructions of the 1370T were very precise until the unit insisted on sending me via the I 8 from Tucson, AZ to El Segundo, CA und I insisted on driving via the I 8, I 38 and I 10.
It was amazing, that thing put blinders on after I turned off I 8 and recalculated on every crossroad and crossover and attempted to send me back to the I 8. I had hoped that the modern marvel would come to its senses after I crossed the last crossroad before the I 10. I was flabbergasted when I was asked to turn east on the I 10 and drive to Phoenix, AZ. I assume the 1370T attempted to send me back to the I 8 via Phoenix. After turning onto the I 10 west this loose cannon still attempted to turn me around on the first off ramp. The unit took a much longer time to recalculate after this off ramp and finally found its way (more then 100 miles less) on the I 10 to El Segundo. I am positive that a TomTom would not have acted that illogical.

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 6:41:34 AM PDT
Tinkicker says:
Uh...GPS speed IS accurate! Unless you're driving a vehicle with a "certified accurate" speedometer (like a State Trooper Interceptor), your vehicle's speedometer is the one at fault. If it happens to actually be accurate...you have earned the blessings of God. Until all vehicles move to a GPS-calibrated speedometer system, a GPS unit is the only way to know as close to exactly how fast you're going...unless you let the Trooper tell you.
When on a trip I place the GPS in a windshield position so that I can easily see it INSTEAD of my speedometer. My wife's Ford is 2-3 mph slow and my Toyota is within 1 mph.

Posted on Jul 30, 2014 9:47:15 PM PDT
Skyhawk says:
How do you remove the POI ( Points Of Interest ) from the display? I find them unnecessary and distracting in most cases.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›