Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my top Romanov books of all time, June 3, 2014
This review is from: The Romanov Sisters: The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra (Kindle Edition)
I came very close to not requesting a review copy of this book. I thought there was no point. I thought I'd reached my limit on Romanov books - they rarely contain anything new, they're all drawing on the same primary source material and sadly, the Romanovs have reached a point at which they don't even really seem like real people anymore. They're more like copies of characters in some old novel.

I am so glad that I went ahead and read this - not only is it one of my few five-star reads so far this year, it will probably become one of my favorite Romanov books of all time. Rappaport is a brilliant writer and researcher. She has accomplished what I did not think was possible - taught me many new things about life in Imperial Russia, about the lives of these four young women and why I should care about them and given me an eerily real sense of that long-ago time.

My e-galley copy is filled with highlighted passages and notes - many of them noting places with brand-new anecdotes from previously unpublished sources. I kept coming across them with genuine delight and surprise - I've been reading about the Romanovs for twenty years and never come across some of these stories. Rappaport also a good ear for excerpting funny, poignant and revealing passages from the girls' letters and diaries. You get a very good sense of their individual voices from reading this book.

I feel as though - for the first time - I can actually tell the girls apart and that the differences in their personalities are a revelation. I have a much more nuanced understanding of the Romanov family. Rappaport also managed the almost unthinkable in getting me to feel empathy for the Empress Alexandra. I am not a big fan of hers and believe she was an utterly disastrous ruler, wife and (even) mother. Rappaport looks sensitively at her background and helped me understand Alexandra's troubled mind while not excusing her actions.

All in all, a highly recommended work of non-fiction. Despite having received an eBook for review, I will immediately purchase a hardcover copy to add to my collection - it's that good!

Disclaimer: I received an advance eGalley from the publisher for review.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2014 12:27:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2015 12:36:29 PM PDT
Marina says:
The 1923 book titled "The Secret World Government or The Hidden Hand" by Maj-Gen Count Cherep-Spiridovich puts the destruction of the Romanov dynasty in its political context. Nicholas II and his family were martyrs, as were Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. Both queens (Alexandra and Marie) were subjected to slander as a means of discrediting their husbands' fight against the treason of International Bankers. Beginning with Nicholas I, all the Romanov tsars were murdered by bomb or by poison. Napoleon I and II were likewise murdered. Count Cherep-Spiridovich explains why and how.

The Banksters' wars never end; when overt war ends, the covert war of assassination begins and has continued into our own day. The Money Power's assassins murdered John Kennedy, his brother and his son John Jr....and for the same reasons -- to .maintain control of the central banks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2015 2:56:28 PM PDT
Jephy says:
? Marina as in "Marina Oswald" ?

Posted on Jun 15, 2015 6:00:41 PM PDT
exBFF says:
just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your review...

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 8:58:11 AM PDT
J Stevens says:
Excellent review of an excellent book. Just wanted to add that the 'eerily real sense of a long-ago time' was exactly what the audiobook version delivered. Felt like time-travel!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›