5.0 out of 5 stars Best TV I tried, May 31, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-P50U50 50-Inch 1080p Full HD Plasma TV (2012 Model) (Electronics)
This is the best TV I tried out over the last 30 days. I wanted to stay around $800 which is fairly easy these days if you dont need a smart/3D TV. I have Google TV and love it.
I took advantage of Best Buy's 30 day return policy with no questions asked.
I went into the store and every geek squad guy said that Panasonic Plasma is the way to go.

I went against their recommendation due to brand loyalty and got the 50" LG Plasma Model 50PA5500. This TV was fine, but the white levels just couldnt hit the mark(seemed dirty) without compromising the blacks.

I then returned it and wanted to try a LED TV. I bought the Samsung 46" LED Model UN46EH6000FXZA. At first glance the LED was great (esp when there wasnt fast movement), then the picture started to annoy me. I went through multiple picture adjustments and could not get rid of the tracers, and the picture seemed a little jerky. Im sure a LED with a higher refresh rate wouldve be a lot better, but Im not paying for it.

After those 2 a came back and got this Panasonic, and couldnt be happier. After testing the market I realized I initially over reacted to the reflection of the Plasma glass screen(mainly because I was aware of it being an issue so I would stare at the reflection at every dark scene). This TV did not require hardly any advanced settings tweaking like the hours I spent on the other 2 models. I have 2 settings I currently like; one for sports and one for movies. Eventually Ill get it to one picture.
This TV has very good whites, very good blacks, and the onscreen movements are extremely fluid. My wife was enamored with the brightness of the LED, but we found a good meeting point. The life-like crisp picture definitely makes up for that.
I could care less if this TV uses $3 more a month in energy over the LED. Im not worried about missing the passing fad of 3D and its early technology, or if the TV is "smart". Im also not worried about this TV lasting 20 years, even though they say it will.
I highly recommend this TV.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 31, 2012 8:18:05 PM PDT
what are your settings if you dont mind me asking. The whites are extremely dull on mine and i can't seem to solve that problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 4:28:38 PM PDT
TP says:
on the Picture menu, go to Advanced and make sure that filter for ambient lighting is OFF (when it's ON it darkens the picture automatically). i turned that off and the pic was much better. then, you might try switching to 'Custom' picture mode and adjust the brightness level.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 9:39:23 AM PDT
I used to be a Home Theater team lead at BBY. If the glare ever starts to bother you, remember the fact that LED screens catch just as much glare as a plasma. Customers used to immediately say no to me when I told them plasma was the best out there, then I would take them to a display that had a plasma next to an LED, turn both TV's off, and they would be speechless when they stared at a perfect reflection of themselves in both panels. You made the right choice. Pana-Plasma wins hands down.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 3:27:26 PM PST
E. Martinez says:
If you dont mind. Are these units 110V ONLY or autovolt (110 to 220V)? thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 11:16:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 11:17:40 AM PST
K. D. Norris says:
How do you keep the set switched on, ours failed to switch on either from the mains button or from the remote controller. I have contacted Panasonic Customer Care, my past experience tells me I might receive an answer before next Christmas.

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 4:34:33 PM PDT
K. cook says:
I bought this TV 2 weeks ago, I wasn't sure that I liked it over an LED or LCD screen. The picture seemed very dark compared to the Panasonic LCD that I had before, and the reflection of the windows or lamps bothered me also. I found the picture settings and changed it to Vivid and by magic the glare reflection and dark picture annoyance disappeared. The picture is now a little bit too bright but tolerable. I may try and check the filter for ambient lighting setting and play with the settings some more. At any rate, I find the picture sharp and clear as with all the Panasonic TV's that I have owned.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›