Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars Best reader on the market, October 1, 2010
This review is from: Sony Reader Touch Edition - Red (PRS650RC) (Electronics)
Sony continues to impress with stylish, feature-rich e-readers.

Pros:
* sturdy, solid craftsmanship; metal case
* read library books for free
* handles multiple formats -- epub, bbeb, lrf, pdf, rtf -- buy books from almost every source
* small and light, especially for a 6" screen
* Pearl screen has improved contrast over other readers
* touch screen
* handwriting capabilities
* multiple dictionaries

Cons:
* No wifi -- but I've never missed that, and when I had a kindle I never used that feature. It's one of those "oh, how cool" features that really aren't important.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 11, 2010 11:08:32 AM PDT
Nice review. I never doubted that Sony has made great readers. However....

As a FORMER Sony supporter, I can say that there is a flip side to every coin. You mention that you do not need wi-fi, and that its a "cool" feature that is not needed. The experts disagree. I recently had a Sony PRS-600 and I can tell you that based on Sony's out of touch customer support, I would not buy another. Their EPUB format was rushed to completion so badly, that page numbers displayed on the right side of a page, blocking parts of words. This happened on each and every book I bought from them. They even acknowledge it was an issue but had no fix. I presume they have resolved this with these new readers?? I will agree that the Sony is probably the best made e-reader. But at 90 dollars more than a Kindle? They are done in the US market. That is why we see 2 reviews posted on this new Sony, while we are already seeing reviews in the thousands for the Kindle 3. and let me say this. The touchscreen is a "cool" feature that I don't miss. Sony has blown it, and their 5% US market share is proof. Today's consumer is looking for the best deal. Period. Name recognition is now beginning to slip away.

I do wish you the best with your Sony. It just was not meant for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2010 8:58:52 AM PDT
Frederick, you may also be seeing only 2 reviews for the new Sony because they aren't yet widely available in the US. I have a new PRS-650, and while I haven't gotten around to reviewing it yet, I much prefer it to the Kindle if for no other reason than the greater flexibility in formats.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 3:47:34 AM PDT
Taborticos says:
Fred, mine is the other review. I had the 600 and was not thrilled with it and will be the first to admit, their customer support is lacking, but I never had a problem with epubs and the page #'ing blocking words. In fact, I believe the #'s were at the bottom of the screen, if I remember correctly. I also feel the wifi/3g is an unnecessary perk since I load a few books quickly at a time and am done with needing any connection, wireless or wired, for an extended period. But hey, you may speed read and need to load several books a day, but that's just you. I, personally feel, it's a perk they market people into thinking is really important to the device when it really isn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 7:54:36 AM PDT
I understand. And let me say again, I DID have an issue with page numbers blocking words and they even acknowledged it was an issue. You were one of the lucky ones. That issue with their lack of a fix turned me away. I have a girlfriend that resides in the UK and we are both readers. She can sync one of my books within seconds after I bought it to her Kindle. Sony has no support for UK, other than the ability to get "free" titles. Wireless is not about speed reading. At $229.99, this should have been a no brainer for Sony, especially when all the competition is doing it. They build a great product. There is no denying it. Its simply not the best value. We will agree to disagree on this one. I am a happy Kindle owner and will never turn back. By the way, a side by side comparison still has the new Kindle superior in contrast to the new Sony. Watch the video reviews. $90.00 less.... Are you aware that Amazon has a 5 Kindle limit per customer due to high demand? Sony will never have to worry about such an issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2010 8:02:18 PM PDT
Mark Deifik says:
I have the Kindle 2 and the Sony 505. I have been contemplating a Kindle 3 or Sony 350/650. I saw the new Sonys at Borders and they are very nice. However, as a subscriber to the NY Times and other periodicals, the Kindle has my newspapers delivered everyday with no effort other than turning on my unit. That is not speed reading but convenience. However, I admit it would be nice if Amazon enabled the Kindle to use the ePub standard for library books. For $10 more you get the 3G and wireless with the Kindle. So it is a tough choice!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2010 11:07:07 AM PDT
Anne says:
Would you have any idea when they will become available in the United States? I live in Virginia and it's impossible to find one. I am looking for the PRS-650 by Christmas time hopefully! Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2010 12:40:20 PM PDT
Taborticos says:
This is available in the US. I don't know what retail stores physically have it but in VA there are two Sony Style stores which definitely carry it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2010 1:01:39 PM PDT
Do you shop on this site? They have them! red and black... I just bought last years 300 model, as I am omly looking to use it to borrow books. I own the Kindle 3. Honestly - they both have their place for my use.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 10:14:11 AM PDT
Anne says:
Thanks for letting me know! I will continue searching!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 10:16:10 AM PDT
Anne says:
Yes I do shop through Amazon. I just would prefer to get it in town so I can get the additional warranty in case a problem develops. This will be my first one.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›