4.0 out of 5 stars Star Hawk, Fire Fly, May 14, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PS3 Starhawk (Video Game)
First and foremost, Starhawk looks fantastic. I love the dust bowl in space setting and even though it isn't an original concept it isn't something seen in games all that often. I also love the fact this stars a black guy. It may seem like an odd thing to like but what was the last game you played where a black guy's the protagonist and he isn't token black guy? Exactly.

Also, the controls feel right. I played the beta and shooting didn't have that "oomph" I look for and I feel like there's been an improvement. The vehicles all handle like you would expect them to so no matter what wheel you're behind it only takes a moment to feel at home. The same for flying the Hawks. It just feels awesome. I love the transformation as well. Very cool stuff.

In regard to single-player, they're 10 chapters, and each chapter has a varying amount of checkpoints, depending on what's being asked of you as a player; however, it's either the last checkpoint or back to the beginning of the chapter. It may not seem like a big deal, but when the object is to defend a rig and you survive the initial waves, game checkpoints, but the rig is a few hits from destruction, it is virtually impossible to survive the final wave, because each time you die, you're brought back to the checkpoint with the rig on the verge of exploding.

It's frustrating, because this can happen near the end of a chapter, and if you find yourself in an impossible situation, you have to start at the very beginning. There's no interim saves, either. If you're mid-chapter and have to stop playing, when you start again you're back to the beginning of the chapter.

Please note this is an issue for Mercenary mode only; the game isn't terribly difficult even on this setting, but it's certainly a challenge. It just puts you in a poor position to succeed at times. If you're playing on Normal or Hard, I don't see this being a problem at all, especially normal, since it is supposedly cake.

So, since single-player was pissing me off, I played multiplayer. Started with TDM. And, surprisingly, the game is more like Warhawk than I imagined. Granted, this was TDM, not Zones or CTF where people are utilizing the building in a more defensive minded way. Overall, people were just building **** because they wanted to fly a Hawk and that's all there is to it. You just have to get yourself in the mindset that if you want a sniper rifle, it's going to cost you 3 building points (which regenerate when near a base). Build it, sniper rifle. So, I was pleased with this, because I really enjoyed Warhawk.

I moved on to Zones next, and I feel this is where Starhawk really shines. It wasn't as defensive as I expected, with a nice tug-of-war to win back bases and conquer the map. Completely obliterating the opponent with a surge of tanks and hawks is hilarious and awesome, though being on the receiving end of such an assault is not so awesome. The game remains fun though, which is what's important.

CTF simply didn't do it for me. It was too defensive for my tastes, though it may be up your alley. A lot of people build extensive strongholds around the flag, leading to a lot of draws because it's too difficult to assault successfully. A well organized clan may have fun with it, but I'm not in one of those, nor do I care to be.

Anyway, I'm pleased so far. I was hesitant to pick it up because the beta wasn't doing it for me but so far I'm glad I did. I hope to really tackle the multi-player this weekend. At the least, the game is unlike anything I've played, including Warhawk. It's such an odd marriage of shooting/flying/driving/building/strategy. Worth checking out if you're one of the "All these games are the same!" types.

If you're not interested in MP or co-op then I can't recommend it. I don't see the content carrying you over anything than a weekend.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]