5.0 out of 5 stars Volbeat puts out one of this year's best albums, September 15, 2010
Ah, Volbeat. I remembered I had no idea who these guys were until I had seen them with Lamb of God and Metallica back in November of 2009. Immediately after the show, Volbeat had earned themselves a hardcore fan of sorts. I now have each of their albums, and not a single ounce of regret comes with it. This past week, their newest album dropped on us.

Not only is it probably their best record, but it's probably one of the best hard rock/metal albums of the year.

For those of you who follow Volbeat's story-telling, this album is a sequel to Guitar Gangsters and Cadillac Blood. For the rest of us, it's just another album of pure awesomeness. No weird intros to build up into it, the album takes off with the energetic "Mirror and the Ripper". With this album, it's clear that Volbeat take a lot of different ideas from the rock spectrum for use on this album. "Who They Are" is sort of reminiscent of Slayer in the beginning of the song, "Fallen" takes a Foo Fighters 'Everlong' approach but doesn't come off as copycatty. Then the album begins to get hard and heavy. "7 Shots" will surely be appreciated by old school thrash fans, old and new. "16 Dollars" is a punk-rock throw-down of its own.

However, if you're a metal-head like me, then you'll probably absolutely fall in love with "Evelyn", a very catchy song that features the vocal talents of Mark "Barney" Greenway from Napalm Death. While a questionable choice, it happens to fit perfectly in place, so it's alright. Fans of Volbeat will deeply appreciate hearing "Thanks".

Matter of fact, there's only one thing I don't like about the album and even so it's a mild complaint compared to the problems with a lot of newer hard rock albums... that is, I'll never understand why Volbeat decided to put "A Warrior's Call" on this album. As good of a song as it is, it was out last year and it was written for a boxer. The song just doesn't fit with the story-telling. They're lucky Warrior's Call is a good tune.

Overall, Volbeat has put out a very fantastic album that you owe it to yourself to check out if you have the chance.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2010 3:15:03 PM PDT
I was at that show at HSBC in November '09, same exact thing happened to me. I had never in my life heard of this band Volbeat before the opening notes of their show, and by the end I was furiously working away at my iPhone downloading all of their albums. Best kept secret in heavy metal by a long shot, anyone who isn't listening to this band is badly missing out.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 3:28:14 PM PDT
Jack Treese says:
You got that right man! How close were you? I had a floor ticket and I made sure I got right up front. I feel horribly sorry for anyone who hasn't heard Volbeat yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2011 9:53:23 AM PST
Great review, but I gotta say that Evelyn doesn't belong on a Volbeat album. I don't know if Poulsen lost a bet and had to pollute a track with that clown, but it is total train wreck. It has no relation to Volbeat's sound at all - which is saying a lot for a group that has such a large range musically. I know when I transfer this album to my mp3 player, Evelyn won't be making the trip.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2011 10:21:06 AM PDT
Justin G. says:
It has more relation to Volbeat's sound than you think. The band used to be known as Dominus and played death metal.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 9:13:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2011 9:19:10 PM PDT
I agree totally about Evelyn not belonging on this album, I.J. Gilbert. Michael still has some heavy stuff in his blood the reason for this. I must say, very few fans really like this one. I wish he would have written another one in it's place. Like a 50's album, he is thinking of doing maybe he has said, he should keep songs alike in perspective on each album. People who like each type will buy it. Most of his stuff is a mixture of different kinds from country to heavy rock. I think most people love just good old rock n' roll. That is really what sells the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 9:17:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2011 9:20:04 PM PDT
Justin Gaines- Actually there was a couple of players in Dominus that never played in Volbeat. Daniel Larsen, no relation to Jon their drummer, played drums in Dominus. So the band Volbeat was never known as Dominus. Couple different people, Michael mentions that the guys in Volbeat are way better than the ones he worked with in Dominus. He says this on their 'Sold Out' DVD. Have a watch of it. You will learn a lot about both bands.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 9:32:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2013 12:10:26 PM PDT
Poulsen started out in a band called Dominus, which was pure death metal. Evelyn is an homage of sorts to his start. I love it simply for that reason. Although it is not the "mold" of the Volbeat sound, it's a pretty awesome song.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›