2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible performance, even on high end PCs, December 3, 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (Video Game)
We all know the game. It's Grand Theft Auto 4. Enough has been said about the game itself, love it or hate it. The PC version could have been great, but it's crippled by poorly optimized code and forced bloatware.

My PC lets me run any game I want. Most modern games run at 720p, 60 frames-per-second, 4xAA on my 46" HDTV. This includes Fallout 3 and Dead Space. Other games, like Far Cry 2 are more taxing, but I still manage to crank out a solid 30 frames-per-second. GTA4, simply put, performs horribly. I am only getting 15 to 20 FPS on average. I can't picture someone without a hardcore gaming PC getting anything close to a playable experience with it.

Also, to install the game you're forced to also install Rockstar Social Club, Games for Windows Live, the SecureROM service (DRM). Plus you need a Windows Live account to even save your game. Terrible, terrible port. Shame on you Rockstar.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 8, 2008 9:26:58 AM PST
NIK says:
What graphics card do you have?

Posted on Dec 9, 2008 6:55:35 AM PST
Lloobee says:
Due to the rubbish performance of this game I was moved to put a bad review on the financial sites (e.g. yahoo finance). I can't return my copy easily, but hey I'll bet I can wipe more than 50 bucks off their market capitalisation by pointing out how much their customers like them !

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2008 6:47:44 AM PST
J. Shinn says:
I never thought I would see the day that a console could save the game directly while a PC user had to save Online. This ridiculous "protection" from Rockstar has kept me from buying this game thus far. Maybe if they release a future patch that allows for on-PC saves, but I am still dealing with the fact that Rockstar decided to punish its paying customers to try and thwart its non-paying 'users'.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2008 6:48:31 AM PST
J. Shinn says:

Posted on Dec 26, 2008 8:00:52 PM PST
It's funny that Rockstars attempt to keep people from pirating the game (which never really works anyways) has forced paying customers into not buying their product. Smart marketing

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2009 1:16:54 AM PST
Kormgar says:
I despise software piracy in all of its forms...yet...I wish I had pirated my copy.

As it is, It feels as if Rockstar was the pirate who plundered my wallet and left nothing but a smelly turd behind.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2009 7:24:28 PM PST
C. Longo says:
9800GT, Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz

Posted on Jun 29, 2009 11:19:16 AM PDT
Game plays flawlessly on my system. A 9800GT and Q6600 hasn't been high end for more than a year now...

Posted on Nov 12, 2009 5:14:51 AM PST
Onric says:
Game is pretty much unplayable and ugly on my ancient system. Not worth upgrading over a single game. I don't know how something so great could get screwed up so badly during the porting. Looks like San Andreas will pretty much be the last good PC port of a GTA game that made the game better than its console counterpart.

Posted on Nov 15, 2009 1:05:35 PM PST
I agree with C. longo. this game's performence sucks. I have quad core, 4 gb ram, 1 gb ati hd 4850.I can play far cry 2 or COD4 at maximum. but for this game I had to accept a very low resolution. Besides it takes so long to start the game. this is obviously designed for xbox.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.3 out of 5 stars (840 customer reviews)

$19.99 $16.37