2.0 out of 5 stars Good design, poor quality, October 28, 2011
This review is from: Bosch GTS1031 10-Inch Portable Jobsite Table Saw (Tools & Home Improvement)
I am a cabinetmaker and finish carpenter, and bought this saw to replace my Bosch 4000 saw, as I wanted something more portable. The design looked great, and the size seemed ideal. i bought the saw and stand, and when I set it up the first time, I spent the time to align the saw fence, and replaced the cheap blade with a real good blade.

When I turned the saw on, right away I hated the fast rough start, and the loudness of it. I figured I would get over that in time, but havent in 6 months of ownership.

The saw cuts very aggressively, but rough. There seems to be a little play in the arbor, and the saw leaves blade marks all over the wood. It is very loud.

I think this saw is good for someone that isnt doing finish work with it, but for my trade I wouldnt recommend it to anyone. This saw is better suited to a hobbyist or a contractor that needs a table saw but doesnt need a real quality cut.

It is nicely portable, which is the best feature of the saw.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 12, 2012 6:13:27 PM PST
T. Stough says:
What saw havw you found that works better, Im in the same situation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 5:57:40 PM PST
MJL says:
I havent found one yet, although the Dewalt 745 may be the one. I have a friend who has one and loves it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 2:06:06 PM PST
Rider says:
Have you had a chance to take a look at the Dewalt 745? I have been considering the Dewalt but would like to know your opinion. THanks

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 4:02:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2012 4:37:02 PM PDT
Mirek says:
You right. I hate loudness too - 96 dB using Digital Radio Shack SPL Meter at idle. Otherwise very well designed. It would be for me No. 1 if not so laud.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 4:46:41 PM PDT
i second the dw745, use it from frame to finish professionally

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 4:50:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 5:39:51 PM PST
Mark Axen says:
Note that the 745 will not accept dado blades.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 6:52:27 AM PST
D.K. says:
I spoke with Bosch Senior Tech Support about play in the arbor of my own 1031, and they were surprised by that. My saw must have had a bad arbor bearing. They replaced it[the whole saw] with another under warranty.

I agree with you that the saw is loud, BUT it isn't rough. I have mine on the Bosch stand, and it doesn't move at all when you turn it on. It's super stable, but you're right that it has a very noisy motor, in addition to the high-pitched blade whirr.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 3:42:22 PM PST
I just purchases this saw and I am in finish carpentry...I am suffering from the same issues you mentioned. I am disappointed in the saw so far, my 4100 was far superior except in size.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 3:43:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 5:10:04 PM PST
Did your replacement saw have any play? I am now on my 3rd saw and it has play in it. I am trying to deal with Bosch customer service, they just keep transferring me around. I tore into the saw, found the arbor bearing has play in and I have since ordered a nice hybrid ceramic bearing to replace the cheap one Bosch uses. Bosch is no where near the company it used to be 10 years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 5:25:22 PM PST
Mark Axen says:
Tom, where did you get the ceramic bearing, and what part number is it. Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (148 customer reviews)

$765.00 $349.99