5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Cooler Coolest, April 15, 2010
This review is from: The Original Handy Cooler Small Fan & Mini-Air Conditioner, Blue (Kitchen)
Yes, this little puppy really does work as advertised. Just wet the sponge, turn the unit on, and point the air stream at your face.

Ahhhhhh...

The Handy Cooler appears to be well built. The fan is very quiet. You can put the unit on a desk or tabletop, and it will blow a nice stream of cool air at you.

I like the way you can rotate the air head ninety degrees, giving you greater flexibility in positioning the unit. I also like the little water bottle they give you, which holds two "recharges". Yes, they have figured out how much water you can add to keep cool without water dribbling from the unit. They figure you can go from thirty minutes to three hours on a "full" sponge, depending on your environment.

I have told the company that makes the Handy Cooler that they need to introduce a shoulder holster, so you can wear it around and use it hands-free. In the meantime, I am going to see if I can rig up some sort of shoulder sling or something that will suit this purpose.

At any rate, if you hate the heat, the Handy Cooler is the real deal -- cool relief to go. HIGHLY recommended.

My only gripe, as another customer commented, is the high UPS shipping charge. A lower-cost USPS shipping option would be welcome...

And yes, I use NiMH rechargeable batteries, and they last for hours on a charge. Ahhhh...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 8, 2010 1:47:52 PM PDT
Rob Omera says:
I own one already and can't agree more on your review!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2010 3:48:18 PM PDT
Rob, my hobby is playing the drums, and the HC is my new best friend at rehearsals and onstage (I can't say it's "my ONLY fan" though -- I have a little Vornado, aka "The Tiny Tornado," which takes place of honor when I bring my whole drum set to a gig...) The HC is also a Godsend on a New York subway platform or sunning in the park on a hot day...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2010 11:13:26 PM PDT
Sam W. Kho says:
How does the Handy Cooler work in hot hot NYC summers (outdoor or indoor)-- since evaporative coolers are supposedly less effective the more humid it is?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2010 8:05:52 AM PDT
It helps on a still, humid day (or on a subway platform). If a wind is blowing, the stream from the Handy Cooler is dispersed, lessening its effectiveness. On a humid, ninety-degree day, staying cool is an uphill battle, to be sure. I would also like to recommend the Miracool Bandanna -- you put it in water, it puffs up, and you put it around your neck. This offers great relief for hours with NO batteries or water refills...

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 4:21:22 PM PDT
Jeff D. says:
I bought one of these largely based off your Review and I have to say I feel miss lead. This is nothing more than a cheap novelty fan that shouldn't sell for more thank $19.95. The thing is very loud and yet hardly blows at all. The Sponge stays dry for maybe an hour tops. Unless you hold it 6-12inches from you face you can't even feel it.

You make it sound like it's blowing cold air conditioned air in your face when it's nothing more than holding a wash cloth over a desk fan well except it lacks the power of a desk fan. I am not sure if you work for the seller or not but I must assume you do.

DO NOT BUY THIS FAN!!!

It's worth $10-$20 Tops, it's just a weak loud rattling fan and a sponge. You could build something better yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 7:30:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2011 7:32:34 PM PDT
Jeffrey, first let me say that I do NOT work for the seller. Second, I'm sorry that the unit you have has not worked to your expectations. Third, are you sure you got the REAL Handy Cooler and not the knock-off version we've been hearing about? The real HC is very quiet, even at top speed -- it does NOT make a rattling sound (or at least mine doesn't). Make no mistake -- the HC is NOT an air conditioner, it is a miniature air COOLER that blows COOL air in your face, using the principle of evaporation. If you reread my review, I do NOT use the word COLD anywhere. I would hope that whoever you bought it from would let you return it and get your money back. I will agree that the HC is a little overpriced at $50; I think $30 would be more appropriate. Still, until O2Cool brings back the Ifan impeller necklace fan (which they have promised to do NEXT YEAR), this is about the best portable cooling device I've found, aside from the wonderful Miracool Bandannas that cost just a few bucks apiece.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2011 6:06:07 AM PDT
I bet he got the knock off... mine is darn quiet. I can feel the breeze from a feet away and the is colder than the air from a normal fan. It's what happens when some people try to save some money and at the end waste it all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2011 7:27:20 AM PDT
Ernesto, everyone to whom I've shown my Handy Cooler has been impressed with the cool air coming out of it -- and wants to know where they can get one... Again, my main knocks against it are the price and the lack of hands-free operation when you're on the go. That's why I am looking forward to the return of the Ifan impeller necklace fan. If O2Cool could incorporate evaporative cooling into that design, then they would REALLY have something!

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 12:08:35 PM PDT
Leni Leth says:
Would this unit work in a car when it is parked, I have 4 small dogs that I have to take with me and often have to leave in the car?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2011 12:38:28 PM PDT
Leni, I'm reluctant to make any predictions here, given how hot parked cars can get. The thing is, this cooler is really for one person -- or critter -- only. So maybe if you got four of these, one for each dog. But then, I'm not sure how you would keep the coolers (or the dogs) properly positioned. And in any event, I think you would have to make sure the car was parked in the shade, with the windows cracked. Perhaps you can find a bigger swamp cooler that would cool a larger area -- and plug into your cigarette lighter power outlet.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Jerry P. Danzig
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Location: New York, NY USA