1.0 out of 5 stars The fine print, January 4, 2011
This review is from: 3yr LG Premium Care Plan providing the ONLY LG authorized service and parts network, LCD ($500 - $749.99), DOP (Electronics)
Okay... I just bought the LG 47-inch model 47LD520 (Dec.2010.) I read lots of reviews beforehand and was confident that I had made the right decision to go with the LG. I also followed the advice offered by many reviewers of this and other make & model TVs to purchase the extended warranty plan. I paid attention to the stories of consumers who were glad that their warranty plans covered the in-home repair service.
However--I just received my new 3yr LG Premium Care (extended warranty) Plan and (surprise!) the type of coverage is listed as "Carry In"! The fine print says that the extended warranty period service will be the same type of coverage as the first-year manufacturer's warranty--in other words, the terms of the first year warranty determine the terms(type of coverage) of the additional 2 years' warranty. Yet, when I look at the Warranty paper that came in the box with the TV, the type of coverage for the first-year manufacturer's warranty is not specified as either "Carry In" or "On Site".The fine print on the Premium Care Plan also states that,"Onsite,Carry-In,or Mail-In Depot Service will be determined by Us at Our determination,unless You have purchased Onsite service." I thought I was purchasing Onsite service when I bought the Premium Care Plan. There was no other plan offered that I was aware of.
So the way I see it, if my TV needs repair, I will be required to take it to the repair shop. Really?? A 47-inch TV?? Load it into my 1995 Nissan 240SX and truck it on down there?? Sure! Any 5'0', 125-lb woman should be able to manage that! I'm just glad I found out how the warranty works before I threw away the shipping box since I will definitely need that to protect the TV from damage if I have to take it for repairs. The monstrous box takes up only half of the hallway, so I should be able to get used to navigating around it several times a day for the next 3 years until the warranty period expires!And of course I was only kidding about being able to sqeeze the TV into my car--it shouldn't cost me more than $75.00 or so to rent a truck and hire a couple of guys to load it up!

Seriously--I am very disappointed. I really love the TV, but I think this is where LG says, "Gotcha!" Or is this special treatment only for Amazon customers? I'm not sure. But I am pretty sure that I have 30 days from the date of purchase to return the TV. And the Premium Care Plan.Especially the Premium Care Plan.Paying someone to get the TV to the repair shop would significantly reduce the benefit of the extended warranty for me.
One more thing--I did try to find a way to read the terms of the Premium Care Plan before I purchased it, but without success. I wondered why a full version of the warranty was not available for examination before the purchase, but I wasn't too worried because it was through LG and I trusted the company.
I don't want to jump to a bad conclusion about this whole warranty deal, but just now,I called the number listed on the manufacturer's first year warranty,just so I could ask a few questions. A recorded message said my wait time for a customer service representative would be approximately 42 minutes. I hung up. I called the number listed on the LG Extended Service Plan (it is not listed as the "3yr LG Premiun Care Plan" on the actual contract)and was prompted by a recorded message to enter my certificate number, followed by the # sign. I entered the certificate number and the # sign as directed, then, as directed, I confirmed that the certificate number (which was repeated back to me electronically) was correct by pressing the number "1". After which, I was instructed to enter my certificate number, followed by the # sign (again.) I repeated these steps 3 times and eventually it was obvious to me that we were stuck in a rut and going nowhere. I hung up.
It's not looking too good to me at this point. I will try to call again tomorrow. There is still hope.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 24, 2011 12:42:40 PM PST
Thank you so much for this informative review and sharing real life experience. Manufacturers do not seem to have clue (or not want to know) what kinds of troubles their practices can cause, even for the best informed consumer. LG needs to be clearer and update the information on carry-in vs in-home warranty for their tv's.

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 8:53:11 AM PST
A. Kuempel says:
You read this wrong as the coverage they sell spans many different sizes and shapes of products, some of which would require carry in to get service, but with the size of your set the service will ALWAYS be in home so no worries. Some warranties draw the line at above 26" while others only if the set is over 32" but never at the size you have.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2011 1:13:35 PM PST
Scott Kaye says:
I agree with A. Kuempel. There is no way you will have to carry in a 47" TV. It is definitely in-home service. You should call the 800# to confirm but I am 100% confident they will come to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 3:35:15 PM PST
Am preparing to purchase an LG 42".
I can not find any warranty info on Amazon.
Regarding your and A.K. posts, just because its logical that larger sets will be in-home, does not mean that is the policy. If it ain't in writing, it ain't fact.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 10:25:12 AM PDT
cekkk says:
Accept this loss as a learning process. If you turn down these extra profit plans almost every time they are offered, you will very soon have saved enough to pay for a repair. When's the last time you had a purchase fail within a reasonable time after the warranty had expired? Never? There are some items that are an exception, as they so often fail before they should. For us they are vacuums and coffee makers. Seems no matter what the cost, they trash out in a couple of years. I do buy a one or two year EW and have used them.

But for cars, white goods, we've never regretted saving our money. For instance, our LG washer cost $900 a year ago. LG wants nearly $300 for a 3-yr. plan. A third the cost of the unit. Nonsense.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 5:10:44 PM PST
R. Beyer says:
Note that LG service plans are NOT them same as LG TV's. This false association is simply deceitful and for this reason alone I would not trust them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2013 6:17:35 PM PST
PowerHour says:
Does it state that in the terms or are you speaking in generalities?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2013 7:52:26 PM PST