5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Fast. Really fast. And easy to install., November 21, 2011
This review is from: Crucial m4 256GB 2.5-Inch (9.5mm) SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive CT256M4SSD2 (Personal Computers)
I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro w/ a 160gb drive and 4gb of ram. I've been itching to get a new one, especially after playing w/ an Air in the Apple Store. It occurred to me that the Air's speed was likely attributable to the SSD as to the i5 cpu. After reading the reviews here I thought I'd give it a try.

Along w/ upgrading my 160gb drive to this 256gb SSD I upgraded to 8gb of RAM -- hey, $42 was hard to pass up. The performance of my MBP has been adequate, but it's getting long in the tooth and the new ones are definitely faster. So I was hoping this would help.

Wow! I just saved $1000 by extending the life of my MBP! It has only been a few hours, but so far it has surpassed my expectations. I had hoped it would be magical, but only expected it to be "better". May not be magical, but boy is it FAST.

Boot-up went from over a minute and a half to less than a minute. No biggie there. Shutting down takes about 3-4 seconds, which is nice. Firefox and Safar pop right open. Even MS Word and Excel open in 1-2 seconds. That's all fine and dandy, but the biggest test was how it would run a VM on Fusion 4.

Outstanding! A Win7 VM fires up in 30 seconds. Once it is running Word and Excel and other Office apps pop right open too. No more firewire or USB drive for me.

INSTALLATION

I originally intended to just swap drives and boot up w/ the OSX DVD and restore from TimeMachine. I re-thought that and here is what worked well for me:

I have Lion installed. Not sure if the Recovery option was introduced before Lion or not [...]
1. make a backup of your existing drive (TimeMachine or whatever)
2. shutdown your laptop
3. get an external 2.5" usb 2.0 drive enclosure - since I didn't plan for it I got one at a local electronics store for $10. You might find one cheaper here.
4. put the SSD into the enclosure and attach via USB
5. Power on your laptop and hold down Command-R during start up -- you will get booted into Recovery mode
6. Select the Disk Utility option
7. In Disk Utility you should see both your original drive and the new SSD
8. Select the original drive and click the Restore tab
9. Drag the original drive to the Source and the SSD to the Destination -- there are instructions on the window -- this is going to make a duplicate copy of the drive. Click the Restore button and sit back and wait.
10. when the copy/restore is complete power down.
11. replace the old drive w/ the new one [...] she uses the proper torx driver to remove the mounting studs from the old drive. i just used a small pair of pliers and a 0.5 allen wrench since I didn't have the correct size torx bit)

I went ahead and put my old drive in the external drive enclosure so now I have an extra backup drive.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 29, 2012 7:34:43 PM PDT
S. Braitsch says:
Hi, I just purchased this drive for my late-2009 MBP, 2.53 Ghz Core II Duo and I can't get the drive to run smoothly for the life of me. Constantly beachballs on me from simple web browsing to app installs. Is your experience still positive with this drive or have you run into any problems to which you've found solutions for? I've been in touch with Crucial twice today and we're scratching our heads here given the overwhelming success everyone else seems to be having with this drive.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 4:28:05 PM PDT
T. Knight says:
Running like a champ. Liked it so much I got 2 more for 2 other macBooks. One, a really old (2006?) white macBook and a brand-new MBP13 that I'm using right now -- nary a problem on any of the three. I even run Fusion on this machine for Win7 right on the drive and it just works. I'm sorry to hear you didn't have as good a luck -- sorry, I just saw your posting as I was forwarding these instructions to a friend. Good luck sorting it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 10:31:09 PM PDT
Make sure you have gotten Crucial's latest firmware update. Then, it should work fine.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›