5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive 3D!, September 3, 2011
This review is from: Optoma HD33, HD (1080p), 1800 ANSI Lumens, Home Theater Projector (Electronics)
Just received my HD33 Saturday Sept. 3rd. I was not sure how good the 3D would look, now I cant believe how good this projector is. 2D images are very good, it reminds me the Sony I have and will continue to use it for regular movies, VPL-AW10, got this one back in 2007 it has 1024 hrs on the lamp, and it is still looking Very Good, I should change the lamp when reaches maybe 2000 hrs.
Back to the HD33, this is my second 3D pj, got last dec.2010 the LG BX327, but never liked, bad image contrast ratio, poor 2d, poor 3d and 4:3 native, just bad. I think it will be going to the trash tomorrow.
The HD33 is amazing! The 3D quality is impressive. I tested it in several movies I have and they came out excellent.
The unit is solid, and much better than from the pictures I've seen.
I was thinking to get the Sony 3D projector or the Panasonic model, but I am glad that I chose this one.
It will work just fine with the DLP Link glasses, I prefer this one over the RF glasses. I've tried those in the past, just couldn't bear the flickering, you wont see flickering on the DLP link ones.
When watching movies remember to turn the PureMotion off, it will give a more natural look to the movie. The PureMotion was meant for sports, races, otherwise your movie will look "speedy", the " soap opera effect ."
About brightness, in 3D mode images are perfect, did not think it was dim at all. You are able to control the brightness level as you like it, without living the movie!
Well, I am very happy with Optoma HD33, and would recommend to anyone considering a 3D Home Theater Projector.
I will be getting an Extended Service Warranty, 3 or 4 years would be reasonable, just in case.

Thanks!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 3, 2011 5:05:22 PM PDT
Photon says:
thanks for great review

Where did you buy it from ? Which glasses are you using ? RF or DLP-link ? (could you post a link to these as well ?)

also could you describe your screen size and gain and room lighting conditions ?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011 5:41:50 PM PDT
Jair says:
Hi, I got it from projectorpeople. I am using dlp link, I think they are the best, no flickering, and you know dlp don't have ghosting!
My screen is 93", grey with glass embedded 1.8 gain. Lighting condition is very good, though daytime there is some light coming from my window, but it is very little, I prefer watching when is getting dark outside, regular movies play fine even with some light coming in. Just finished watching Priest 3D, it is a pretty dark movie, I just increased the brightness and worked just fine. Rio 3D, Alice in Wonderland looked really good, the 3D on this pj is really good. I forgot to mention on my review, something very important: there is no "mosquito noise" on the background! I am very pleased!

Hope this help!

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2011 9:12:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 4, 2011 9:12:29 AM PDT
anonymous says:
I've been thinking of getting this projector. I already own 4 pairs of Optoma DLP-Link glasses which I bought last year to go with my Mitsubishi DLP TV. I'm hoping they'll work with this projector. Are your DLP glasses older or are they brand new glasses that were specially designed for this projector? Also, what brand of screen do you own? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2011 10:36:50 AM PDT
Jair says:
Hi, my dlp link glasses are the older model that came out last year Optoma ZD101, also I have another pair that came from China last year also, they are orange G01 DLP Link Glasses, that's what it says on the box, I believe any dlp link glasses will work!
About my screen, Panoview Gray Wolf 92" with glass embedded 1.8 gain. I wish a had a bigger screen now, 110" or even 120" specially for watching 3D movies, if you have room for a screen of this size do it, or a smaller will do just fine.
Hope this help.

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 10:13:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 18, 2011 7:24:16 PM PDT
S. Burton says:
Maybe with Amazon, and others, finally getting this projector in stock (and the Epson 3010 coming out soon) we will see some kind of reduction in price from the full retail of $1499. I really like Amazon, but I hate paying FULL retail prices... especially online.
UPDATE: I bit the bullet and purchased this pj from Amazon... what a beautiful picture and 3D is amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011 6:03:27 AM PDT
Jair says:
Hi, actually this price is not bad for a 1080p 3D Home Theater Projector. I've heard about the new models Epson is bringing late this year, they look really good, if they were out right now I think I would go with the Epson, they offer more contrast ratio, also more lumens. But the HD33 is quite good, I am not a big fan of Optoma, but Have to say they really stepped up with this model! 3D brightness is just perfect, much better than going to the theater, images really look great. 2D movies also look great.
I think by next year we will have a lot more models available to choose from, and with even lower prices!

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011 2:39:25 PM PDT
S. Burton says:
Thanks Jair... I agree on the "base" price point for this projector being really good... the problem is a lot of webstores are showing the "list price" for this projector being $2499! Then they allegedly "discount" the projector by $1,000 to $1,499. This is VERY misleading to the average buyer (and also if they were brick and mortar stores in California it would be illegal to post fictitious list prices). Amazon is VERY honest in their pricing... they never make any false claims about their prices or so-called list prices. My problem is that when I shop online I expect prices to be at least a little BELOW the full retail price! Since this is a new pj, it make take a few weeks, months for the market to adjust and for reasonable reductions in the FULL Retail Price to be made. Look at the price of the Optoma Hd20... Amazon says a list price of $1,299 and sells it for $899. There is a LOT of profit to be made when a retailer sells at FULL price...

Posted on Sep 8, 2011 7:42:39 PM PDT
collin89 says:
does this projector need a separate box like the optoma 3dxl to play 3d...or is it an all in one package

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2011 9:34:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2011 11:04:05 PM PDT
DrNegative says:
@ S. Burton -
The HD20 stayed at $999 on Amazon for about 18 months before they finally lowered it to $899. I think you are confusing MSRP with "discount" and "street pricing". All projector manufacturers have a MSRP or "list price" usually much higher than where it actually streets at. Over time, the street price will naturally come down through market competition and supply vs. demand. The MSRP helps out the mom and pop shops who can't compete with the current street prices offered by the big boys like Amazon, thus $1,499 will be here to stay for quite awhile, and at this time is the cheapest 1080p "3D" projector on the market if you don't want to spend $3k.

Amazon purchases in much larger bulk, which means they get each unit much cheaper than the other shops. It's the Wal-Mart argument, good for the consumer, hard on the small shops.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 10:08:52 AM PDT
Jair says:
It is all in one package!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (117 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $649.00