Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome GPS: top notch and afforable!, August 26, 2010
This review is from: Magellan RoadMate 2035 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 4:59 Mins

Here's my video review, if you have any questions or something I didn't cover, please feel free to leave a comment and I'll do my best to answer!

UPDATE Nov.'10: On a recent trip to visit my parents, it alerted me to a car accident on the highway. It gave me a few options to detour and told me how long each one would take in comparison. Telling me there's an accident is helpful, but I absolutely ADORE the specifics with the timing.

Big Pros!:
- I often use a traffic app on my iphone. So I'm sitting there with all these devices, all with different info. Now, with this GPS, it's got it all. Live traffic updates and I won't have to pay attention to multiple screens. In order to get the lifetime traffic updates for free, there are little banner ads now and then. They don't block the map or directions, so they don't bother me at all.
- The screen is large and bright, and the voice is nice and loud. Sometimes I have issues hearing my garmin, with this I was only 1/2 way in the sound level and it was clear as a bell.
- My garmin has a flip up antenna that I'm always convinced I'll eventually snap off. The Magellan is internal, so that makes me a lot more comfortable.
- I LOVE the fact that it adjust so fast to wrong turns, but it doesn't shout "recalculating" at me, which really usually just makes you feel dumb that even with a GPS you're still going the wrong way. It just quickly decides the next best way to continue on my route. Sometimes my Garmin will send me on the most ridiculous back tracking journeys, the Magellan so far hasn't done that to me.

I love this Magellan RoadMate 2035 GPS top to bottom. In comparing it with my Garmin Nuvi 360, there are a couple features I did notice though that this doesn't have, which can be a con depending on what features are important to you.
- security code: I lock my garmin only because people seem to steal GPS devices from cars quite often in my town. If someone were to steal my nuvi, they won't be able to use it(unless there's a way to break into them, which I'm not aware of). It just sits there asking for your password/security code.
- My garmin links with my iphone by bluetooth to turn the GPS into a speaker phone, though it wasn't great quality, people used to say I sounded like I was in a tunnel. The Magellan isn't bluetooth capable.
- My garmin lets you choose a variety of voices with a few different accents, most notably British or Australian. The garmin woman is just annoying to listen to, so I had it set to an Australian guy who was very pleasant. This Magellan is one voice, no choices. But so far she isn't grating on my nerves.
- It didn't come with a little slip case. In the box there was the actual GPS, manual, window suction cup mount and charger. So now I'll have to find something to protect it when it's in my bag.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 26, 2010 8:37:38 PM PDT
Natalie says:
I have read great reviews on the 2035! However, from my understanding, because of the free traffic updates this Magellan road-mate also has annoying ads. I believe that won't be much of a problem for me. I went to a couple stores to play with some gps' and the ads I saw pop on there weren't bad. I'm hoping this one's ads are similar. I don't want them to be terrible and in your face!
Also, thank you for this review, it was very helpful and I look forward to getting mine in the mail. I don't drive often outside of town but I am awfully afraid when it come to driving to places I don't know. I hope a gps will help me with that problem. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2010 5:26:38 AM PDT
H.F. says:
Hi N. Martinez -- you just reminded me I meant to mention that! They are small, and they didn't bother me. So far theyre almost like coupons, telling me about a deal at olive garden, or to use my AAA points at a hotel. Theyre a small bar every now and then at the bottom of the screen, I didn't see/notice them on the map while I was driving.

I hope your enjoy yours and that it makes you feel more secure driving out of town =)

Posted on Aug 27, 2010 3:41:47 PM PDT
I Am Diddy says:
Does it have Blue Tooth for Bluetooth hands-free calling?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2010 3:52:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2010 3:58:34 PM PDT
Hi M. Hyatt,
nope, no Bluetooth. I covered that as a con in the written part of my review, since I did use it occassionally with my garmin.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2010 2:50:11 PM PDT
I Am Diddy says:
Thank You A. Boston for a great video and review. I seldom ever used the blue tooth device and decided to get this one to replace my 4 year old Magellan 4040.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2010 3:19:25 PM PDT
H.F. says:
You are very welcome, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 9:20:32 AM PST
J. Sweeney says:
Great review. Thanks so much! I got a Tomtom for my birthday but am planning to exchange it because route selection is very important to me. I read that you can choose your route preference on this Magellan model -- shortest, fastest, fewest highways, most highways. Is this feature easy to use, please? Thanks a ton for all of your help!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2010 2:57:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2010 2:59:59 PM PST
H.F. says:
Hi J Sweeney - you're very welcome! and yes, it's very easy to change your route preferences. its in the toolbox under "navigation preferences". So if you always like to do fewest highways for instance, it will do that 100% of the time, unless you go back into the toolbox and change it. I usually leave mine on "fastest time"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2010 3:04:20 PM PST
J. Sweeney says:
Wonderful, thank you! I'm sold. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2010 8:55:20 AM PST
Susan Reilly says:
theyre meant "they are". I think you need to use "there is" or "there's". You make this mistake several times and it's rather annoying - especially as your review is highlighted by Amazon....

Having said that, good review. Though, I own a Magellan Maestro 4700 with the traffic. I've never had an ad pop-up. On the other hand, I've never had the traffic help me out either. It doesn't tell me about a problem until I'm stuck in it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›