3.0 out of 5 stars I bought into the hype on The View & I'm disappointed, May 19, 2010
This review is from: Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood: Stories and Recipes to Share with Family and Friends (Hardcover)
I am giving this book 3 stars as 3 stars means "It's ok". It is ok, but to me that's all it is. I have prepared 4 dishes from this cookbook and I have found all 4 flat, weak, and uninspiring. I am considered a very good cook by friends and family and I find the recipes I have tried quite time consuming to end up so bland. Ms Yearwood bills herself as a Southern Cook and while these dishes are southern fare with southern ingredients they lack southern flavor.
I was most excited to try the Pork Medallions as they were The View favorite. They were a bit of work to prepare and honestly not half as good as my own recipe which is much easier.
I tried the Vegetable Pie and it was ok. I did believe it had potential so I made it a second time and doctored it up. That time it was very well received and went quickly.
Just to let you know, the first time I use a recipe I give the author the benefit of the doubt and follow it to the letter. Not one of the four recipes I have tried so far would I make again without changing them up.
I have not yet tried the Hot Corn Dip - which Whoopie loved so much she would not share - I am hoping it will be as good as it was portrayed.
I would like to add the quality of this cookbook is excellent. The pictures of the food and the family are lovely. I appreciate some of the notes that Ms Yearwood added and the stories are enjoyable, though not why I puchased the book or necessary for me to have made the purchase.
I am aware with the matter of taste there is no right or wrong, so I am only telling you how I feel (and my family & friends). You may not feel the same and I hope if you do purchase this cookbook you find then recipes to your liking. I believe I heard The View has posted a few of the recipes from the show on their website. I wish I had checked that out and tried the recipes before purchasing this book - something you might want to do.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2011 4:01:26 PM PST
jeanie35 says:
I liked your review, BUT I wish you would have given the recipe for what you changed. I am plannng on making the stuffed peppers. I sure hope they are good.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 9:55:31 PM PST
Tucker says:
Not sure if you've tried the hot corn dip yet but I have. It's not bad but nothing spectacular and considering how much fat and cholesterol are in this dish, it's certainly not worth making again.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 7:23:19 PM PDT
Zabadu says:
Really? You bought a SOUTHERN cookbook and expected low-cal recipes? Unbelievable.

Posted on May 2, 2012 7:24:47 PM PDT
Zabadu says:
I don't get it. She doesn't cook like you, so you don't like the book. Recipes are suggestions, not law. If your family likes her recipes "doctored", more power to you. That doesn't mean her recipes are bad, they just aren't to your taste. The title of your review doesn't match your review at all.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›