5.0 out of 5 stars I love this album!, September 11, 2009
This review is from: Let It Be (Audio CD)
This refers to the new remastered version, but I have not commented much here on the sound quality. Suffice to say it is better than it was.

This is a much maligned album. I gotta admit, it wasn't on my list of the Top 5 Beatles Stereo Remastered albums, to replace my old cd's. But due to a twist of fate, I did end up buying this as one of my first 5.

I was "there" when Let It Be was originally released in 1970, having been a Beatles fan since 1963. I had been anticipating the Get Back sessions, I had followed the whole drama surrounding this release, in Rolling Stone and other magazines at the time. I had heard they had finally turned it over to Phil Spector for production duties. I was dubious.

In the meantime a bootleg came out called "Get Back" and it was basically the Glyn Johns mix, but the boot was pretty poor quality, not like the ones you can get now of that mix. But I loved it and was excited to hear "the real thing" soon to be released! (again, I am referring to the original release in 1970, right now)

When I first heard "Let It Be" as it was officially released, the overblown orchestration and choir threw me for a loop! Females singing background on a Beatles album? Mantovani type strings??! This is often referred to as the "Spectorized" album.

I admit to not loving it at first, but over the days and weeks it grew on me. Then, over the years, I've grown to actually prefer it!

When "Naked" came out I had hoped it would be much closer to the Glyn Johns mix, but frankly I just don't care for it. Yeah, some of the songs sound really good without the orchestration, and it's nice to hear them that way sometimes. But overall, I find myself preferring the original!

So I just finished listening to the new remaster of the original version, and while I did not listen CAREFULLY for sonic improvements, I must say that I LOVE this "musical album", this document of music in time! Even "I Me Mine" which has been said to have been ruined by Spector: I love it. Even "Let It Be" with the choir, even "Long and Winding Road" and "Across the Universe" which have also been referred to as "ruined" by Spector: I love them!

One thing I love, which I was sorry to see deleted on "Naked", is the intros and outros to some of the songs, the Lennon and McCartney "chatter". As strange as it was to add the element of a "live album" to orchestrated overdubbed arrangements, it was a nice touch!

Anyone else share my love of "Let It Be"? For me, it's not in my Top Half of Beatles albums, but still, every time I give it a spin, I end up loving it! There is not one bad song on the album, it has lots of emotion, as the last Beatles album to be made, and well, isn't that enough to recommend it?

p.s. If you can get your hands on a good quality booted copy of The Glyn Johns mix - the way it was ALMOST released - I highly recommend it. It's basically this album without the "fixing up". The Beatles felt it was too rough, but I find it energetic and fun! The Johns mix and the Spector mix are like 2 sides of a coin. Personally, "Let It Be - Naked" leaves me cold, although I do like the treatment of several of the songs better.

In the end, it's oranges and apples. Get them all, for a balanced Beatles diet!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 12, 2009 5:21:09 PM PDT
Al Snow says:
Good review. I have followed the Beatles career as long as you have. I have not had the pleasure of listening to the Glyn Johns mix, so that goes on my "bucket list". Musically this is an improvement in that the sharp edges have been smoothed over, and the bass and the drums are very clear now.
This record has been much maligned and criticized unfairly, IMHO. But, you gave it five stars, so let's consider the less-than-perfect circumstances under which this record was made. At least Abbey Road was recorded after this to end The Beatles active career on a high note. Maybe someday we will get a dvd release of the "Let It Be" movie and then more people will see what the band was putting on themselves and each other, which had to affect the making of this recording. Again, thanks for the fair review.

Posted on Sep 13, 2009 9:39:53 PM PDT
Anyone else share my love of "Let It Be"? - Oh yes I have always liked this album. It may be my 6th fav Beatles LP. It always felt just like it was supposed to feel, like a get together of a bunch of friends and jamming with the tape rolling. I never really knew that much about what Phil Spector did to the album. Many hated it, I never gave it much thought in the 1970s when I play the crap out of my copy. I picked up a german pressing late in the 70s and then a white vinyl copy in the 80s so you can see how much I dig (pun intended) this album. My fav tunes have always been the lesser talked about ones...Two of Us, One After 909, I've Got A Feeling, I Dig A Pony all are great tunes. The entire album never got the credit that it deserved because so many have written how messed up the boys were when they recorded most of these tunes. When they released Naked in 2003 and I did not hear all of the little chit chat between songs I was sad. The homey feel of the album was gone. The feel of the buddies getting together in there garage and jamming was gone. LIB...Naked does feel cold even though it is a crisp clean remaster. Now my favored version of this LP sounds just as good as Naked does. I always thought this LP sounded pretty good anyway so now it is prefect. Can you Dig it? Yes I can.

Posted on Sep 14, 2009 8:29:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2009 7:11:18 AM PDT
Yes, I have a vinyl copy of the Let It Be Accetate, as you call it the Get Back Sessions by Glyn Johns. And yes they are phenomenal. Teddy Boy, The Walk, a 5:00 Dig It, etc. I too wish they had rediscovered this version, cleaned it up, and put it out instead of ...Naked. There were many better takes of those songs than the ones used for the ...Naked album. *sigh* We can only wait and hope.

And as far as the studio chatter, that was chosen for those songs from the hours and hours of tape. None are matched with the takes that they were put out with.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2009 1:51:08 AM PDT
Yeh, love alot of the songs on here, especially "Get Back", though the lead guitars are drowned out."One after 909" sounds great here, as does "2 of Us" , "I've Got A Feeling", As for the mastering, now I can appreciate the new transferes which were to 20/96 digital not 16/44.1 like Rubber Soul. Even though this took over 4 years, the mastering part of the deal sounds rushed, lots of people say they sound remixed and they do, I guess that is because of poor mastering, They are too loud and not properly normalized. Some songs are louder than others, so I'm turning the volume up and down, but all in all the sound quality of what is there is much better, What i am learning is that these recordings could not have that great to begin with, that's a shame, the material and music is great and these records were great on vinyl.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2009 1:56:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2009 1:58:01 PM PDT
Maclen says:
Let It Be has not been one of my favorite Beatles albums over the years. What got me back to being a big fan of this album is the "Let It Be...Naked" version. The remix is splendid and the sequencing is FAR superior to the "Official Version". Leaving off "Don't Let Me Down" on the original "Let It Be' was a monumental mistake. Now as far as the Remaster of the "Official" release, I love it, I think it sounds stunning, it breathes life into the music, Paul's bass sounds so perfect, no rumbling like the '87 version. I also own the Glyn John's mix (mint quality) and I like it quite a bit. I agrree with James Dickerson about the chatter between some of the songs on the Remaster, it adds to the enjoyment.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2009 7:37:56 PM PDT
KV Trout says:
But the BEST Let It Be, in my opinion, would be a "remaster" of the Glyn Johns mix!
I was not that happy with Naked, for some reason; maybe just used to the order of songs on the other one; plus I did not think Paul's performance of LAWR was as good as on the original.
I listen to all the versions intermittenly, though. But I will probably not listen to the 87 cd anymore, now, at least not on this particular album.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (568 customer reviews)

Reviewer