2.0 out of 5 stars Torn, May 28, 2012
This review is from: Bitterblue (Graceling) (Hardcover)
POSSIBLE MILD SPOILERS
Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore takes place eight years after Graceling where Bitterblue is now Queen of Monsea. Bitterblue has to deal with what's leftover from her father's psychopathic reign and her advisors who tell her nothing. To escape everything, she disguises herself at night and escapes the castle every night to visit a city she doesn't know and hopes to move the city forward by visiting the past.

Like most people, I couldn't wait for this book to come out. I enjoyed Gracling and Fire by Kristin Cashore and was excited to find out about Bitterblue coming out. However, I'm not sure Bitterblue is written by the same author. Maybe it's been a while since I've read Fire and Graceling. Maybe it's been a while for Kristin since she's written a book. Maybe I've grown as a reader/writer/editor since reading the first two books and anything wrong with the first two, I didn't notice them. Whatever it was, Bitterblue just wasn't as good as it could have been.

It started with Bitterblue being bored of her Queenly duties. It continues the same way for a while. If Bitterblue is so bored of her Queenly duties, what makes Kristin think we'll be so excited to read them?

After a while, Bitterblue decides she's going to risk everything and sneak out at night and explore her city. Never mind that she could put herself and the Kingdom at stake. She's bored and wants to have some fun. I get that she's bored and wants to see things, but come on. It is a bit risky to do what she does every night. She's a Queen for crying out loud.

I did enjoy the Prologue - though I'm not a fan of those anymore - because I liked the "mind rape" that we read through Bitterblue. I liked the fact that there was more than meets the eye in this book, there were twists and turns and a "smart" plot in here.

I liked the fact that it did tie in Graceling and Fire in here. Fire was more towards the end and in a way that wasn't expected. Of course, it has been a while since I read Fire so I don't remember what happened or what was going on with all the characters...

I was a bit disappointed with the way some things ended up the way they did. Maybe that's leading for another book, or maybe Kristin just wanted to end things the way she did. I wasn't crazy about the Saf/Bitterblue ending.

Basically, this book was rather long and it dragged on. It's not like Fire or Graceling where it didn't seem like they were long. This showed and you felt it was long as you try to read through the entire thing. It's not easy. I think Bitterblue was partly to blame for that. She wasn't bad sometimes, but for the most part, she wasn't that interesting of a character.

I'm torn between wanting another book and wanting this to end where it was. I'm thinking if Kristin can make an amazing book to tie up everything, then I wouldn't mind another book with the same characters. But, how about in Katsa's POV instead of Bitterblue? Or maybe just years from now with new characters? That works.

If you're a fan of Kristin's books and love Graceling or Fire, you may not enjoy this book as much. I'm still torn about liking this book and wanting more, but I know I don't like it as much as I did with Graceling. I bought Graceling after reading it. This one, I'm not sure if I want to buy.

[Add comment]