2,362 of 2,439 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Senior Citizen Review of Ipod Touch, April 30, 2011
This review is from: Apple iPod touch 8 GB Black (4th Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I purchased my Ipod Touch 8G in January, 2011 just for fun and to see what all the fuss was about. I use a laptop and have wireless connectivity in my home. But I don't store music on an Ipod and don't have "smart" cell phone. After using the Ipod Touch for a few months, all I can say is "WOW".

This device is like carrying a small computer in your pocket. I can connect to the internet wirelessly at home and anywhere I can find a public connection--library, cafe, etc. I check my email (read and compose), facebook, Meetups, Ravelry, take pictures and movies, and with the Skype App, can video call my kids. I have become hooked on the Angry Birds game, which is fun to do while waiting anywhere. I have also downloaded audio books from my library to take with me when I travel. I knit and have any pattern I am working on loaded on my Touch so I don't worry about losing it. All this in a 2x4 inch little device I can carry with me everywhere.

I considered getting a smart phone instead, but Verizon's additional mandatory monthly cost of $30/month turned me off. It would be nice to have internet access where ever I am, but I don't need it and don't want to pay $360/year for it. I like the fact that the Ipod Touch does not require any additional monthly costs.

I compared my Touch to my friends Ipad. It appears that my Touch does most everything the Ipad does, but the Touch is so much smaller.

My son has a Droid, which does what my Touch does plus it is his cell phone. But games wear his battery down quickly. I don't have to worry about that since my phone is separate from my Touch.

If I needed to be connected to the internet at all times and have a cell phone too, I would probably stick with a smart phone and pay the extra $30/month. But if you want a very versatile tool in a small package to carry with you, I highly recommend the Ipod Touch.

So much fun!

August 17, 2012 Update--Everything I said in my review still holds true. The Ipod Touch is a quality product--really it is a tiny Ipad. I hope Apple comes out with a smaller Ipad, say a 7 inch model. A larger screen would be nice for reading and playing games and would still be small enough to carry around easily.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 110 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 27, 2011 7:40:32 AM PDT
S. Morris says:
I bought a touch for the same reasons. I talk and text on my cell phone. I'm not paying an extra $30 a month for a data plan. With free wi-fi just about everywhere I am, why not use the touch instead? And the apps. What can I say about the apps. Everything you can imagine.

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 3:48:53 PM PDT
V. E. Corp says:
Nice Review, however any modern smartphone has WIFI also , so any place your ipod touch will work for free internet, a smartphone would also. The $30 a month is for "Anywhere" internet access ( providing your'e in a coverage area, of course) any would apply to any device, i.e. Phone, Ipod, Ipad,Laptop,etc...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 3:40:51 AM PDT
but you would still have to pay for a data plan which s senseless when all you use is wireless...and you can find convenient wireless anywhere...libraries etc

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 4:21:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 31, 2011 12:19:10 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 5:49:42 PM PDT
Noah says:
love this revew thanks a lot

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 12:18:16 PM PDT
Sanjosemom says:
Thank you! I am still enjoying my Ipod Touch.

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 7:22:07 PM PDT
Amy Phipps says:
Thank you for a well-written review that makes sense to us non-technical people!

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 9:32:05 AM PDT
mamaof4 says:
I am very ignorant about this tech stuff- thank you for your review. Is there no monthly fee at all with an Ipod touch? Can you still use apps without internet access?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2011 9:53:30 AM PDT
Sanjosemom says:
There is no monthly fee. But the Touch needs internet access to download Apps. I use my wireless access at home to download them. Once downloaded, some Apps need internet access to work. Others don't. For example, the game Angry Birds does not need interent access once downloaded to your device. Also you cannot access email, facebook, google, etc unless you are able to connect to the internet (at home, at library, Starbucks, etc whereever there is free wi-fi.) Your device will search for a wi-fi signal if you are tying to do something that requires an internet connection. Hope this helps.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 10:04:26 PM PST
ShopperGal says:
sanjosemom,

Gads you're good. I have never read a review with such interest. You also clarified a number of questions I have had about touch and thank you very much!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›