5.0 out of 5 stars Leica D-Lux 5, January 15, 2011
This review is from: Leica D-LUX5 10.1 MP Compact Digital Camera with Super-Fast f/2.0 Lens, 3.8x Zoom Lens, 3" LCD Display, O.I.S. Image Stabilization (Black) (Camera)
I tired of carrying my DSLR and associated lenses, etc and decided to go to a Point and Shoot (P&S) camera. I had read a great deal and having owned a Nikon D-60 DSLR for a period of time, was concerned primarily with picture quality in going from a DSLR with large sensor to a P&S with much smaller sensor. For 3 solid months, give or take, I diligently, researched all P&S cameras as well as "mirrorless cameras" currently on the market. I went to 'handle' the cameras I was interested in (see below) and to Flickr on the internet and queried some groups regarding the cameras I was considering. I am a hobbyist when it comes to photography but, I was obsessed with getting as close to the superior photo quality of a DSLR as possible in a P&S. I finally decided on the Leica due to (what I believe to be) superior photo quality and excellent in-camera jpeg processing. I looked at the Nikon P7000...mixed but generally lower reviews within this group (I have owned a number of/and greatly respect Nikons); Panasonic LX5...which many say to be the same as the Leica (with the exception of jpeg processing); Canon G-12...which seemed ok with the exception of handling RAW production and the Canon S95...not as good in the lens department and photo processing. Both the Leica and Panasonic have a larger sensor than the rest of this group. Granted, I could have purchased any of these really good cameras, at a much lower price; but, I found the color and overall photo quality of the D Lux 5 to be best of the group I researched. I have never owned a Leica before and I while I expected it I am still shocked at the sticker price and cost of accessories. I'll not debate the pros and cons of the Panasonic LX5 versus the Leica, there is enough information in that regard published by professionals and labs, all over the internet. The warranty and the inclusion of Lightroom 3 were nice additions, to help soothe the price pain. A word about the warranty, depending on what you read the warranty goes anywhere from 2 years (what was in my box warranty) and some (see Steve Huff's excellent analysis) say 3 years. I'll admit the whole warranty process was/is confusing. I bought my camera from B&H Photo in New York and was confused when the salesman said that there was no warranty with the Leica during checkout and that I should buy an additional warranty for 2 years. Everything I had read previous to my purchase, said Leica provided a 2 year warranty and so I passed on the B&H offer, hope I am right. I am very happy with this camera. It is easy to operate, provides excellent stabilization, in-camera menus are outstanding, shoots in RAW format and is easy to carry/handle. Leica accessories are expensive though. Many of the items that fit the LX5; also, fit the Leica. The viewfinder, although with mixed reviews, is a must if you shoot in bright daylight or snowy environs. The Panasonic viewfinder is around $200.00 less than the Leica brand and supposedly fits/works the same on the D Lux 5...we'll see. My decision to buy the Leica boiled down to quality of build/pictures and reputation. Good sites to go to: stevehuffphoto.com; DPReview; CNET; bhphotovideo.com; snapshot.com; youtube and if you want to look at actual photos, taken by everyday users of the Leica D Lux 5, see the Leica groups on Flicr. Hope this helps.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 10:11:01 AM PST
D. B. Parker says:
Gene, these are made by Panasonic in Japan. I must admit that I wanted to get the Leica version of this camera, but it was just too pricey for me. Amazon had the Panasonic version on sale yesterday for $269 which was too good of a deal to pass up. So no red dot for me. :-(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 11:11:06 AM PST
GB says:
It's the exact same camera?!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 11:42:33 AM PST
D. B. Parker says:
John, I hate to break it to you, but the megapixel race ended years ago. It's been shown that cramming more pixels onto a small sensor usually just introduces more noise to the photo.

David Pogue of the Times has been preaching this sermon since 2006.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 11:51:24 AM PST
D. B. Parker says:
Gene, pretty much. The exterior is slightly different (the Leica is much cooler looking) and there are firmware differences, like how they handle jpegs, but the accessories (like the EVF) for each camera are mostly interchangeable. Leica and Panasonic have had this relationship going for years now. I have an old Leica Digilux 2 which is pretty much the same as the Panasonic DMC-LC1.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 11:54:43 AM PST
GB says:
D.B. - thanks for the help. I love the look of the Leica, but that is a pretty huge price difference for mostly cosmetics.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 12:18:15 PM PST
D. B. Parker says:
Yeah, I came to the same conclusion finally. I'm willing to pay somewhat of a premium for a Leica, but not that much. On the flipside, Leicas do hold their value a lot more if you ever want to resale it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 5:04:15 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 23, 2013 5:35:15 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 7:25:03 PM PST
Hi, could you please help me to recommend a flash for dlux5?
Thanks for your help!Regards