4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle vs. Kindle Keyboard. operation, October 2, 2011
This review is from: Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers (Graphite) (Electronics)
Length:: 0:52 Mins

A brief video showing the Kindle and Kindle Keyboard operating side by side. This Keyboard was ordered on Sept. 9, 2011, so it is a recent model. In this video you can see the page turns and the difference in the screen refresh (Keyboard redraws every time, new Kindle only 5-6 pages). I'll be returning the Keyboard, so far I'm happy with the new Kindle and won't miss the lack of keyboard or audio port since I didn't use them. I took off one star since unprotected .mobi files aren't working out of the box right now like they did on the Keyboard (file transfers but does not show up). [Update: See comments, this was a minor issue with the Kindle not putting the files in the right folder, easily corrected manually but this should get corrected.]

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2011 6:15:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2011 6:15:58 PM PDT
Rudy Fan says:
I believe there is new software where you can choose to refresh every page if desired, but I have a question. From the looks of the video, to me, the new Kindle on the right looks a tad grayer. When you say the text is 'bolder', are you saying that the letters are crisper on the new Kindle and easier to read? I'm hearing from a couple other reviewers that the screens are either the same or there is less definition on the new Kindle, but your review seems to state the opposite.

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 8:36:47 PM PDT
Claudia says:
I too would like clarification on this point - on which device is the contrast better, the print darker, and just in general easier to read? Bad eyesight makes this an important point for me . . .

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 9:54:37 PM PDT
M. Campbell says:
Hi Rudy, Claudia,
I want to stress that contrast really is excellent on both. However, side by side, the text on the new Kindle I got is a little darker - I posted a picture in the customer images section side by side where this is more apparent. Another reviewer has posted a customer image where the old Kindle Keyboard looks darker. I'm wondering now if there are just some natural minor variations in the e-Ink Pearl screens that are used, and less to do with what version you get. Either way however, both of these screens are very close to the printed page for reading (and of course, Claudia, being able to increase the text size helps incredibly for those with bad eyesight).

-Matt

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 6:26:02 AM PDT
Rudy Fan says:
Matt, it does look like yours might be a bit darker than those other customer images. Do you have the K2 still? Does it look darker than that one too? I've come across two other reviewers so far who also seem to have a K4 with a screen that may be like what you have, but mostly people seem to be satisfied with it.

Just a thought, you could return yours to Amazon for an exchange without return shipping charges (since it may be a defect). And thanks for the return reply!

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 7:47:30 AM PDT
I noticed in your review: "I took off one star since unprotected .mobi files aren't working out of the box right now like they did on the Keyboard (file transfers but does not show up)." That sounds not good...
Could you explain that moment? What do you need to do to see these files (to reboot Kindle)?
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 8:31:50 AM PDT
M. Campbell says:
Hi Dmitri,
I figured it out shortly thereafter. In the Kindle folder structure, there is a folder called "Documents" and another called "System". Dragging and dropping files onto the new Kindle puts them up one level, and the Kindle wasn't seeing them - to correct the problem I just had to move the files into Documents, and all was well. The Kindle Keyboard didn't do this in the same configuration (Macbook Pro w/Snow Leopard), but it's a minor problem I'm sure they'll fix soon.

Rudy, I read on it for around 6 hours yesterday in a marathon book session, I'm very happy with the contrast and it doesn't affect my reading habits at all :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 9:40:48 AM PDT
Thanks! I have Kindle DX, and I see that problem as well. I just put all my files below Documents. I am thinking about buying one more Kindle, and that one looks like the best option. Thanks for the video.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 5:28:53 PM PDT
Justin R. says:
M. Campbell, this was a very informative video and I thank you for putting it up. You've definitely helped me in my decision on which Kindle to buy. I always hated the black flash between page turns on any e-reader and now that I see that the new Kindle doesn't do that every time, I'm leaning heavily towards the latest one. Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 11:27:03 PM PDT
A. Kan says:
I just received my Kindle 4 a few days ago and currently still have my Kindle Keyboard. I am one of those who noticed that, when doing side by side comparison, the Kindle Keyboard has a much better contrast and actually page refreshes faster (I have already installed the new 4.0.1 software and I had it set to refresh each page). Now that I have read that the text on your Kindle 4 is darker than the Kindle Keyboard, I am wondering if it is worth it for me to ask Amazon to send me another unit. I really enjoy the Kindle Keyboard screen very much and was quite disappointed when the text on the Kindle 4 was not as bold or as crisp.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 6:07:00 AM PDT
Rudy Fan says:
Thanks for voicing your opinion; I really appreciate it. I find it interesting that I have now read 4 reviews of people receiving what I feel are defective devices. It makes me wonder if Amazon has changed their quality control.

As for your K4, if you send it back, I read another reviewer who stated that Amazon sent him a refurbished one to replace a defective K3 that he had. I would ask to make sure that you are getting a new one. (I would think that is all they have right now though, but you never know.) If the one you bought isn't what you had hoped for, why not get another one? I would!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (8,595 customer reviews)
 (5,495)