1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, August 13, 2012
This review is from: Where We Belong (Kindle Edition)
This book was so disappointing. I have read all of Emily Giffin's books, and have found that her last few books are getting worse and worse. Where We Belong had the ability to be a great story. However, telling the story from two points of view, Marianne and Kirby, led there to be little depth to either character. Also I found both characters to be very unlikable. The story was trite and unbelievable. I also found that Giffin put a very negative spin on adoption. Giffin's last books have been a disappointment and this one was no different.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 26 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 61-70 of 97 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 25, 2012 7:31:01 AM PDT
Wade says:
VERY sad your husband has to be rude to people who give an honest opinion of your work, Emily. Makes you and yours look childish and petty.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 11:41:51 AM PDT
Seabreeze says:
>>Mr. Scowen, you are wrong. The most successful writers never read reviews. <<

I have to disagree, I can think of at least two well known and successful writers in urban fantasy, Jim Butcher and Patricia Briggs, who not only obviously read the reviews but post at times in the comment section. Both seem to exercise very good judgment on when to comment and they do it sparingly. Neither one gets personal or even testy and do nothing but good for themselves when they do "drop in" to the point that posters welcome them.

I have seen Mr. Butcher post a lengthy comment to a reader that was unhappy, clarifying a few things and explaining his view. He was very professional and friendly. The poster had nothing but good things to say after reading his comment and he kept a fan.

I am not saying all authors should take this path because everyone is different and so their reactions will be different.

I think it depends on the individual author as to whether reading reviews is something they find helpful or harmful. Whatever an author decides, there is no right or wrong decision IMO. It is whatever works for the individual.

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 12:06:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2012 7:26:20 AM PDT
Mountaineer says:
Avid Reader, you have all my sympathy. I have only been writing reviews for a month, so I still remember how intimidating it felt to press *PUBLISH* the first time. I would have felt AWFUL if anyone had attacked me, calling me a psycho -- even on my 331st review. I would have felt even WORSE if the author had done it, or, yes, even the author's husband. Then for the author to sic her FB fans on me??? Words cannot express. I am VERY gratified to see that so many readers have stood up for your right to express your opinion of a book you purchased and read. I stand with them, protesting EG (but also feeling slightly -- very slightly -- sorry for EG, because her husband started this mess). I stand also with Corey, another EG reviewer who has been harshly treated ( Corey's post, Authors Behaving Badly, see coreyann.me/?p=141

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 7:21:36 PM PDT
Avidreader, I'm sorry you were attacked--but take consolation in the fact that this has gone viral in a big way. I've never read anything by Emily Giffin, and now I never will. Her behavior was completely inappropriate (and she has one heck of a co-dependent husband--if that was really him--and equally insane assistant).

Everyone who wants to see all the comments should read the screenshots at coreyann dot me/p=141

Avid reader and Corey Ann are clearly not the psychos here.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 7:21:47 PM PDT
A New York Times best selling offer who I assume spends a lot of time writing etc on her own computer yet chooses to hop on her husband's computer " when the issue came up" ? If that's how it really happened then that's too bad because to the majority of readers it looks like she was indeed who posted the initial childish response, got caught and made up an " it wasn't me, he did it" story trying to save face. It appears the whole husband's computer story has did nothing other than make a really bad situation worse.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 8:28:29 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 29, 2012 9:05:57 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 1:38:56 PM PDT
Kenlah0406 says:
What in the world?!?! I am "Johnny come lately" to this whole debacle and I have to say I am flabbergasted by Ms. Giffen, her diehard fans and most of all her husband! This whole thing is utterly disturbing. I don't understand how a single 1 star review out of 15 in one hand and 156 5 star reviews in the other could have anybody's husband be so riled up as to cause all of this. I guess when you are used to being #1 on the NYT best seller list and you experience anything less than that on future works, all humility and decorum go out the window! This is the type of world we are living in folks and that is seriously depressing!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2012 10:30:59 AM PDT
Lindsey says:

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 3:28:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 1, 2012 4:22:10 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 7:01:32 PM PDT

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,248 customer reviews)

$8.89