Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Storm Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

1.0 out of 5 stars Xbox 360 was a waste of my money on so many different levels!, February 18, 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 20GB [Old Version] (Video Game)
I've never owned a game system before and decided to purchase the Xbox 360 (with hard drive) as my first and ONLY gaming system. I purchased the console in December 2006 as a Christmas gift to myself and within six (6) months (by May 2007) my console started giving me trouble. These red lights started flashing - in three of the four quadrants, and after consultation with customer support and following the steps outlined by them, I was told I had to return the system to them for repair. Luckily for me it was still under warranty.

It is all fine and dandy that the product was under warranty and I did not have to pay to repair it, but I'm from the Caribbean, Barbados to be exact, and shipping from Barbados to the US to have my console fixed was US$60. In the end they could not repair the console and sent me a replacement unit - "free" of cost.

I received the replacement unit in July of 2007, had to pay US$100 to have the item shipped back to Barbados. The unit worked well for another few months and I was very contented with my gaming experience. NFL Madden '07 and Top Spin2 are favorites of mine.

In February of 2008 I experienced a different problem - the screen started to freeze. I e-mailed customer support and they sent me a string of e-mails as to how to maintain the harddrive, deleting user profiles and creating new ones and then an all too familiar problem arose - this replacement unit showed me three red lights! And like before I was told I would have to send my system to them for repair.

"Luckily for me", as I received the replacement unit in July, the warranty for the console is July 2008 and as such I won't have to pay for the unit to be repaired, but I will again have to pay shipping to have my item sent to the States and pay again to have it returned to me.

When I contacted customer support and expressed the expense relating to me having to have my unit repaired (not due to any fault of mine) it was brushed aside and communicated to me that if the prescribed steps to fix my console did not work I would have to send it for them to repair.

To me this is totally unacceptable! I purchased a game console in good faith and after colletively spending thousands of dollars in both gaming system and games (which can only be played on the Xbox 360)I feel as if I have been cheated and robbed. What would the point be in having the unit sent for repair for them to send me a replacement unit or if possible, fix and return the currently destroyed unit. It would make more sense to cut my losses now and never purchase a Microsoft gaming product EVER again! If I continue at this rate there will come a time the product is no longer under warranty and I'll have to pay for repairs to the system.

I'm an extremely disappointed customer. Money does not grow on trees and I work hard for my money. If Microsoft is unable to produce an experience for customers to enjoy without hassle of repairs and maintenance, which is due to no fault of mine, they should pull out of the market. I will now detail the moneys I have LOST, as a result of Microsoft and their Xbox 360 (prices quoted in US$)

Xbox 360 Console $600.00
Ghost Recon - Advanced Warrior 59.99
Smackdown vs Raw 2007 59.99
Shipping to send unit to States for repair 120.11
Shipping to have unit returned 211.00
Local shipping, handling, duties on games & wireless
control purchased 57.00
----------
Total monies spent relating to Xbox 360 US$ 1,311.98
----------

Now you can see why the Xbox 360 has been a waste of my money. Based on the experiences stated above I am unable to give this product more that one (1) star out of five (5).

Dissapointed, frustrated customer who can't believe he was duped into investing over US$1,300 in a gaming system which doesn't work!

R. Sparrock
Bridgetown, Barbados

Xbox 360 Console Includes 20GB Hard Drive (with HDMI)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]