Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

1,095 of 1,236 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Why can't anyone make a hot cocoa without sucralose/Splenda in it?, January 6, 2012
This review is from: Grove Square Hot Cocoa, Milk Chocolate, 24 Single Serve Cups (Grocery)
I HATE SUCRALOSE.

Honestly, I don't know how other people CAN'T taste it when it's in sweetened products. It's got this unpleasant fake flavor that I just can't ignore. I think any company that uses that junk should be required by law to indicate it on their box and all advertising.

That being said, it seems like this hot cocoa has less sucralose than the Cafe Escapes Hot Cocoa, and as such I have to give it higher marks than the competition.

Still, I can't believe this product AND its nearest competitor use sucralose but don't say they're a diet, lite, low-sugar, or otherwise unnaturally-sweetened product. It's frustrating. I can taste the stuff, and I really dislike it. I also don't like the chemical makeup of sucralose, but I won't go into that here (just believe me: natural sugar is way better for you in the long run).

There's one other choice out there for a hot cocoa in a K-Cup, and that's Swiss Miss. Unfortunately, the Swiss Miss K-Cups are ridiculously high priced and hard to find.

My opinion? It's probably better if you just get your favorite hot cocoa in packets, and use the hot water function of your Keurig. It's not worth the K-Cup convenience if you have to put up with artificial sweeteners or significantly higher prices. Spending more than seventy-five cents per cup of water-based hot cocoa is about the limit for me.

So, if you're into sucralose/Splenda, then by all means grab this and enjoy that weird aftertaste and decidedly not-sugar flavor. If you're like me, though, and can't stand that artificial stuff, then avoid this product and find another option.

Three stars for tasting decent despite the awful artificial sweetener. Minus two stars for being artificially sweetened and not mentioning it anywhere.

UPDATE: I just found out that the Swiss Miss K-Cups also use sucralose. So really, your only choice is to get packets and use your Keurig as a hot water dispenser. How disappointing.

UPDATE 02/12: After some research, I found that there is one K-Cup hot cocoa that doesn't have sucralose; However, it is loaded with fructose instead (not the greatest trade-off, since it tastes different from sugar/sucrose, in my opinion) and has no actual sugar/sucrose in it. That one is Green Mountain Coffee Hot Cocoa. Unfortunately, reviews of it say it has a strong coconut flavor (probably because the second ingredient is coconut oil) and is on the salty side, so I have avoided it. It's also more expensive per-cup, and unless you think a single cup of cocoa is worth over a dollar and twenty-five cents (as opposed to a box of 12 packets being around two dollars) then go ahead and try it. I will refrain at this point and stick to using packets.

I would also like to clarify again that despite what some comments say, the Cafe Escapes Hot Cocoa K-Cups, Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa K-Cups, and Grove Square Hot Cocoa K-Cups ALL use sucralose. Yes, there is sugar in some of those, but it is IN ADDITION TO sucralose/Splenda, and not by itself.

So your choices right now are pure sucralose, sucralose plus a sugar, or pure fructose. None of them is appetizing to me, and all of them make the cost per cup of cocoa quite unpleasant.

43 servings of sugar-sweetened cocoa in a canister will run you around six bucks, and it's no more complicated than a K-Cup if you know how to operate a spoon.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 125 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 10, 2012 11:11:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2012 11:11:46 AM PST
Mike P says:
Sorry, but the K-Cups just aren't big enough to hold the necessary ingredients for a decent cup of hot chocolate. Note how large packets of Swiss Miss are? They cannot cram all that into a kcup, so they have to use artificial sweeteners which are much stronger per unit volume than sugar.

I'd recommend just using the Keurig to make the hot water, then use a packet of Swiss Miss which is probably cheaper anyways...like your update says. Alternatively you can fill an ekobrew cup (or other do-it-yourself cup) with hot chocolate mix and do it that way, but that seems like a lot more trouble than its worth...

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 8:30:14 AM PST
Thanks for sharing this. I am having the same problem. I am not a sucralose fan. That whole formaldehyde thing grosses me out. You saved me a lot of time looking for a cocoa. Maybe someone will use stevia if the issue is what Mike P below says it is. Too bad.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 11:14:02 AM PST
Peter Myer says:
THANK YOU for the warning about Sucralose. I am a migraneur, and this disgusting crap is always a trigger. As there are 20 million of us, I wonder why the manufacturers don't wise up. Thanks for saving me a nasty headache!

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 4:29:05 PM PST
savnthplanet says:
I could not agree with you more. I also cannot stand artificial sweeteners. Not only do they taste horrible, but they also happen to make me very ill. My kids and I love hot chocolate and we were very excited to try hot cocoa k cups in my new Keurig. I was very disappointed to find that all hot chocolate k cups have artificial sweeteners as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 4:35:34 PM PST
savnthplanet says:
I tried this and it is a more trouble than its worth. I tried it with my Solofill cup. The packet contents just barely fit in the cup and the result was a slimy mess. Maybe there are bigger cups out there that may work.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2012 3:38:38 PM PST
Bri says:
Cafe Express Milk Chocolate K Cups uses sugar instead of the fake stuff, and it tastes decent, so there's obviously room for sugar.

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 11:25:31 PM PST
C Southard says:
Is there ANY coco that has real sugar....not HF corn syrup?

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 10:40:32 AM PST
Thank you for the Sucralose heads up. I'll just stick with powdered hot chocolate for the time being.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 9:13:11 AM PST
oil burner says:
I also thank you. I will avoid K cup hot chocolate and follow your recommendation to just use regular packets.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 10:45:13 AM PST
Raven Wilder says:
@ savnthplanet

Just to clarify, I never suggested putting a packet of hot cocoa in a K-Cup or Solofill cup. That's just not going to work.

Here's my method:

1. Open Hot Cocoa Packet.

2. Pour contents into dry mug. Place under Keurig spout.

3. Press the button for one of the smaller settings on your Keurig (not the middle or large ones) with no K-Cup in place (or use Hot Water setting if your model supports it).

4. Optional: Once it's done dispensing water, add a little milk or cream to bring it closer to the brim (thus the reason for using a smaller setting).

5. Stir. I recommend using a small wisk instead of a spoon.

6. Top with marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate shavings, caramel drizzle or cinnamon. Enjoy.

Even with the milk and toppings, this is cheaper per-cup than any K-Cup option.

Yes, it's a little more work, but it's a good cup of cocoa and works out a lot better than using the microwave to heat up water. It's still fast, which is why you have a Keurig in the first place.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next ›