5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and versatile book holder, May 12, 2009
Length:: 3:11 Mins

Awesome book holder. Now I can hardly bear to read without it. Was surprised how small it is when it arrived, thought that it wouldn't be very effective. Wrong.

It works great on all the books I've tried it on. Well, okay, I tried to demonstrate it for my friend with one of her law school text books, which is pretty huge, and it was overwhelmed. But on all the novels and paperbacks I've read it's great. I like to read at lunch time and people are constantly stopping and doing double takes and asking about it. I should just get a bunch and sell them at lunch time.

The little 'page slots' are a really neat extra detail. You can put like 15 pages in the slots and it makes it super quick to turn pages without lifting the spring. Hard to describe, but trust me, it's very cool and simple when you see it work.

My wife didn't want to use it on some of her books because she thought it would be tough on the spine, bending it open too far. I guess if you have maybe a 50 year old paperback with a cracked spine thats falling apart, then, no, I wouldn't use this or any other book holder for that matter. The book will be held wide open flat. (Well, that's the whole point really!) When I've finished with a book, I put it back on the shelf and the spines all quickly return to normal and basically look un-read.

Another weird thing is how quickly I read books now. When the book is just sitting there open with no effort, it's like you can't take your eyes off it. Where was this thing when I was in college and had to read 50 pages a night for those Lit classes?

Also surprising is how stout this thing is. It's like it was carved from a solid block of dense plastic. Really well made.

You will pry it from my cold dead hands.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2009 9:44:33 PM PST
Camster says:
Thanks so much for the video. You really showed all the features very well. I wish all the products on Amazon had such nice videos to view. It would make buying decisions a lot easier. Got a good chuckle out of the last line of your written review.

Posted on Feb 20, 2010 6:21:09 PM PST
Kate says:
Well, I just ordered this product based on your review and, of course, the outstanding video. Dang, I bet there will be a big ruckus when you take your last breath, since there will be a whole group of people ready and waiting to pry this thing from your cold, dead hands!

Posted on Mar 8, 2010 7:09:06 PM PST
A. Gutierrez says:
Thanks for adding the video. Most reviews for other book stands were mixed, so it was difficult to see if a given book stand would work. I had my suspicions about the ease of page turning, but the video sold me.

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 6:54:50 PM PDT
PenneyL says:
Thank you for making this video - it sold me on the product!

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 9:59:56 AM PST
TargetFan says:
Thanks for the review and video. I was just about to order two separate holders - one for my Kindle and one for books, but you may have saved me from that. One question: Have you tried the Gem on magazines and newspapers? I'm guessing the size means it doesn't work for softer, larger format periodicals?

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 8:15:33 AM PST
Thank you for taking the time to give such a great review. I am currently a graduate student in literature - and I am sick of typing one handed while holding a book open trying to quote a text. I was interested - after your review I want more than one. I want to watch videos on my ipod touch - have one for my kindle... you get the point. Thanks again! I'll bye my own so I won't be in line at your funeral.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2011 1:54:48 PM PDT
Great review. Thank you!

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 1:54:47 PM PST
J King says:
Thanks for the video. I'd missed one or two of the features entirely until I saw your video. I love this little thingy, too.

Posted on Aug 11, 2013 9:19:55 AM PDT
joybuz says:
Thanks for taking the time to post video. Very helpful in decision making process.

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 1:50:38 PM PDT
M. Wright says:
Just a quick question. What about small, paperback books that are sometimes hard to keep open? Do the little arms hold the pages back when it comes to resistance?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›