Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more

5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty little starter HRM that isn't the size of a clock..., January 15, 2009
This review is from: Timex Mid-Size T5G941 Easy Trainer Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Sports)
*** Update 5/2/13*** It is a pleasure to report that it has been almost 4.5 years and this product is still working flawlessly. I used it on a 5.5 mile run and it is as good as the day I got it. See comments to this review -- others have made good tips that I agree with. The bottom line -- if you are still using it after this amount of time, you are either ready for an upgrade or at least won't mind having to buy another unit!

Original Review:

I'd hoped that getting this new running gadget would encourage me to exercise more often. So far so good. I asked for this for Christmas and, well, it has accomplished it's primary function for me... I've been running almost every day since I got it. I was turned off by the gigantic size of some HRMs, and did not need something to keep track of splits as I run on my treadmill at home and the gym.

As a heart rate monitor, the functionality is pleasantly simple. It tracks your heart rate for the whole workout. You hit the big button to start, and it goes to work tracking the length of time, the average heartbeat, and the peak. While you are running, it displays your current heartbeat. That's it -- but sometimes it's better to keep it simple.

I should point out that, as a watch, the watch piece tells the time and date only. If you want/need splits and a stopwatch, you should look elsewhere.

Here's some other thoughts: I was worried that the strap would break but realized after a couple workouts that I was probably wearing it a little too tight. Since adjusting, it is much more comfortable, has not fallen off, and, as a guy, you *almost* forget that you have it on. My wife cracked up when I took my shirt off after a recent workout. She said that, from the back, it looked like I was wearing a bra (or Manzierre, or Bro, if you prefer).

I had no original intention of wearing it while NOT working out, but I've found it addictive, and have enjoyed observing how drinking a cup of coffee while sitting at my desk does raise my heart rate about 10-15 beats per minute on average. Also, as I've started to get in a little better shape over the last 3 weeks, I see that I have to run either farther or faster to get my heart rate up to certain thresholds. And, now my heart rate does not go up as high from merely climing the stairs at home. I believe that these insights, among others, are very encouraging for someone who is just getting back in shape. The encouragement aspect combined with the simplicity makes this a great starter heart rate monitor for anyone considering.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 3, 2010 2:13:59 PM PDT
Do you sit at your desk with the strap on?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2010 2:18:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2010 2:18:58 PM PDT
lawyer_man says:
Yes, I did wear it all day for a few days to the office. However, be forewarned that it emits a faint beeping noise that, to me, was noticeable when my office was completely silent and I did not have my little radio playing.

I have heard that it is not generally recommended that you wear the monitor during the day because it will wear out the battery in the strap faster. The strap battery must be replaced by mailing the strap in and cost about $25 total (according to other posts I have read elsewhere). Apparently, the best practice is to wipe off the back of the strap after each use, removing the moisture to more quickly "turn off" the strap.

That being said, I continue to use my strap about 3-4 days a week for 20-60 minute runs, and both the watch and strap batteries are still working.

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 5:18:06 PM PST
Kim Jameson says:
I just got mine and can't get it to work. Any ideas?

Posted on Feb 23, 2011 5:10:47 AM PST
aja805 says:
Nice Seinfeld reference. :) Very informative as well, thank you!

Posted on Apr 8, 2011 5:40:55 PM PDT
Future Retro says:
That little part at the end is a great idea, thanks for the review

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 9:19:04 AM PST
Riick says:
The fact that you have to mail off for a battery replacement is a little problematic. Thanks for writing the review. It was very helpful

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 5:37:25 AM PDT
Maggie says:
The very first HRM I had (different brand, but similar design), I had to put a few drops of water on the chest strap right where it sits over my heart, or else the signal would not conduct. Did you try this?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 8:21:41 AM PDT
lawyer_man says:
Yes, I recommend that technique! Also, when you are finished working out, it helps preserve the battery to shut off the strap signal by wiping off the back with a dry cloth or t-shirt. If there is still wetness on the strap it may continue to beep for minutes after your workout, which will wear out your battery more quickly. I am on my first battery.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 3:07:26 PM PDT
Chattie says:
Hi there! So...I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to heart rate monitors... For the watch to detect your heart rate when you workout, do you have to wear the chest transmitter? Or, can you just wear the watch? I'm looking for one that doesn't require the chest strap. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2013 5:06:36 PM PDT
lawyer_man says:
Yes, in order for the watch to display your heart rate, you must be wearing the chest strap. The watch will simply tell time/date if it cannot detect a chest strap that is on your body.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›